Bigger Brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SJ

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Bigger Brakes

This is not really a new topic, the original was started by Bkehoe see link:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic13164.html

Unfortunately I haven't seen any follow up from anyone and the threads stopped about 2 years ago Question
After reading Bkehoe's post about fitting V8 discs to the TDV6. I thought I'd give it a try myself, I always thought that the standard brakes are a little lacking in feel, especially the initial bite. I've also had a re-map by BAS and felt that improving the brakes would usefull to say the least.
So suitably equipped with all the info from Bkehoe I replaced the discs and caliper supports front and rear with the V8 stuff. It was a straight forward job, it only took a day and the only problem was getting the right size Torqx bit to remove the disc retaining screw.
After doing a few miles bedding the new parts (pads as well) I found that the brakes felt much better especially that initial bite, and they certainly seem to stop quicker. I haven't done any scientific tests but they feel much better and at the end of the day it's how "You" perceive them that counts. So job well done and a big thanks to Bkehoe for the initial Post Thumbs Up

Post #5180099th Sep 2009 9:35 pm
mzplcg

England 

Well I have a V8 which has the larger front brakes as standard. I perceive them to be flat and un-progressive. Can't imagine what the TDV6 feels like if you think this is a big improvement over standard.

Put it this way, when I get in the other family car and push the brake pedal as I would in the D3 it results in an emergency stop. I was considering the Brembo's for mine. Just a case of waiting for some to come up on the bay.

OUt of interest, did you use new or S/H parts? Maybe mine are just worn out and replacing them with new discs and pads might make them a bit better.

Post #51863811th Sep 2009 7:52 am
SJ

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Both the front and rear discs on the V8 are a larger diameter than the TDV6. I replaced front and rear discs, pads and caliper supports with new LR parts. My D3 has only done 17K and although the front pads were almost down to the sensor and required replacing, the rear pads were only about 50% worn and the discs were in good shape. I've done about 10K in the car and the braking performance didn't seem to have deteriorated from when I bought it at 7mths old, so don't think that poor performance was down to the worn pads! As I said earlier the difference in feel after the mods was very noticeable.
Re: Brembo's I thought about this option as well, but thought that trying to get the correct ones from ebay might take a long time. I'm lead to believe that there were several different types of caliper fitted, some with weights some without etc.
One thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post was that one of EPB shoes was worn down almost to the metal, whether this was down to poor set up from the factory or the EPB was sticking on slightly I don't know, but it's fixed now!

Post #51869511th Sep 2009 9:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >