Bike "V" Ford Focus
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Now 2 x Vango G4 down sleeping bags!!! Whistle Whistle

Best bit about that Story is . . .

I went along and added my purchase to yours - "hey my friend just had two and got £xx discount. How much if I added a third to the deal.

£60 cheers mate Laughing

I know they are dangerous. Guess what I let my daughter ride a horse and that is 20x more dangerous - Same Stats DG
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #52264320th Sep 2009 9:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

It's wrong to say that bikes are dangerous. People are dangerous - period. Rolling Eyes

It is unfortunate that, of the people who ride bikes, a greater proportion of them tend to do more dangerous things than car drivers.

The worst thing about bikes is that you DO forget how to ride them. I took my bike out this morning for the first time in a long time. Despite having covered 125k miles on this model, I rode like a complete t Censored t!

This doesn't generally happen to car drivers who can jump into a vehicle after a three month absence and still drive relatively normally. Neutral
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #52265620th Sep 2009 10:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Just another instrument of death 90 Wink ....afterall you have to go one way or another Laughing

John is right of course Shocked Only yesterday afternoon I was travelling on the dual carriageway (40 limit) from Walton when a biker came past at around 90 ....in my mirror I could see another bike fast approaching and he overtook me at well over 100 ....trouble is at the end of the straight there is a lane out on the sharp right hander over the River Mole bridge....the second biker had "Police" on his back and was riding an unmarked black bike. He almost failed to take the bend and how he held on as he clipped the cones god only knows Rolling Eyes ....No doubt he eventually caught up to the other biker and told him he was driving like a prat Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #52266120th Sep 2009 10:33 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

harrythespider wrote:
Trouble is 90 BHP, IF there was a plod watching, how confident do you feel that the car driver would be repremanded over his thoughtless and potentially deadly manouvre rather than you for the evil kneivel impression.

An old friend, a bike instructor with a pointed head, had this to say about riding a bike "Remember you might think you are invincible in your leathers, boots and helmets, but if you are actually invisible, and if you forget that your wife will discover you are not immortal". Drivers with more wheels should think about this, and as the old saying goes "Think Bike".
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #52270421st Sep 2009 7:28 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

The result of Car meets bike can be more than painful, as my cousin found out earlier this year in Oxfordshire.

Stoke mandavial say he may get feeling and use of legs but we are looking at maybe 2yrs (a lot of maybe's)

Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #52275321st Sep 2009 10:26 am
UNG

United Kingdom 

robsmith wrote:
Drivers with more wheels should think about this, and as the old saying goes "Think Bike".

May be bikers should think "Speed Limits" and "Safety First"

The "Think Bike" signs that litter the highway annoy me as it seems to put the responsibility for every bike accident with other road users. Just recently I witnessed a bike pulling wheelies through a busy village unfortuately there are no signs "Think Pedestrian" but signage doesn't apply to some bikers Mad rant over
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #52277921st Sep 2009 11:49 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I was on the M40 last night heading away from London, when 3 complete twots bikers came past at well over 90mph, all three were pulling wheelies and continued to do so until they were out of sight.

If that is there attitude, i hope they get to find out how good their insurance cover really is when they need years of rehab Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #52278021st Sep 2009 11:53 am
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Very few things disturb me as a car driver but ...
I'm an ex-biker of many years I find riding standards today appalling
My journey to work involves two dual carriageways (3 lane) one @ 50mph one @ 40mph
Most of the traffic travels at or a bit over the speed limit EXCEPT all the bikers who must think they are exempt from speed limits (except when there's a safety camera)
The bikers travelling into and out of town do atleast 30mph more than anyone else on the road and have this terrible habit of "filtering" between lanes and undertaking all over the place.
No signals either and should you dare to impede their maniacal progress you get abused verbally or 'hand signalled' or they resort to the "lets rev the nuts off my engine" to show they are there.
When I do see an 'accident' involving bikes on these roads I have NO doubt as to who's fault it probably was.
Think Bike? yeah I think bike and think they are (in majority) idiots

Post #52281621st Sep 2009 1:14 pm
wilsonmg

England 

Taz DAZ, its opions like yours (but hopefully not your actions onthe road) that will continue to A) puts lives at risk from all parties b) will continue to drive a wedge between the different types of road users.

Lets get this clear, YES there are a MINORITY of stupid bikers on the road and I share yours and other road users frustration with their actions. However in regards to filtering, done sensibly is the absolute bonus, why else would someone want to ride to and from work in all kinds of weather, and to date it has been challanged legally and has been proven legal to do so.

I utilse one of my bikes for work most days, the view you get from a bike on the standard of driving absolutly shocks me. From people on phones, doing make up, reading maps, playing video games, reading paperwork, messing with sat nav or the radio. You can actually see car drivers 'register' that you are there and filtering while they are doing a max of 5mph and then purposfully pull into you way, so you wonder why a biker gets annoyed ??

the thing to remember, is that we have massivly overpopulated roads at rush hours, so all car driver should be pleased to see a biker filtering (granted not at a stupid speed), as its one less car in the traffic jam in front of them. So I ask you keep your eye's out for us bikers, Do not treat all bikers as the idiots you see now and again (probably a sunday), as for every one idiot you see on a bike, I could match you with double I see driving a car (even taking into ratio's).

Make space to for a bike to filter, as the more people see this they might get out of the car and use a bike (therefore giving you more room on the road)

SO over all I see your comments are quite norrow minded, however they are your thoughts And I do agree that there are idiots out there but they are the minority, but I would hazzard a guess a % on this site has done over 30mph over the speed limit, but the difference on a bike is that the time it takes to do the 30mph more can take a 1 or two seconds, and to be honest on the bike I do not spend much time checking my speedo, I'm more focused on the road aaround me looking out for people who have such a loathing to bikes they make a point of putting my life in danger.

As an ex biker I thought you would have a more ballanced view and understand this ??

but ho hum each to their own
 Still miss my D3 Sad  
Post #52284021st Sep 2009 2:25 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

If were trading opinions.....

IMHO that was a bit of an extreme response to an individual, to what was a pretty balanced/informed post Whistle
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #52284321st Sep 2009 2:30 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

90BHP wrote:
DSL wrote:
Now 2 x Vango G4 down sleeping bags!!! Whistle Whistle

Best bit about that Story is . . .

I went along and added my purchase to yours - "hey my friend just had two and got £xx discount. How much if I added a third to the deal.

£60 cheers mate Laughing

I felt guilty about haggling a discount as all proceeds were going to Red Cross (didn't know it at the time). Now you'll never be able to sleep soundly in the bag!!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Donated the savings I made to Help for Heros so I can sleep a little better! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #52285021st Sep 2009 2:42 pm
wilsonmg

England 

SJR every one is entitled to an opinion, TAZ 'flashed' me up as he stipulated 'MAJORITY' Evil or Very Mad thats all, I wont lose sleep over it and I'm sure he wont. There are faults/idiots on four wheels and two, but to class it as the majority on two wheels is a bit rich and does nobody any good. I think the advice from Rob Smith's mate is spot on and the more people that are aware there are more bikes on the road nowadays the better.
 Still miss my D3 Sad  
Post #52285121st Sep 2009 2:43 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well it's not the majority but it's not a million miles from half way Whistle

I found quite a valuable snapshot document illustrating some false perceptions concerning road user behaviour .....from both a drivers and riders perspective.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/resea...cleacc.pdf

I think it's fair to say that just over half of all motorcyle accidents are caused by car driver inattention....and if you read the info then you will see that although poor driving like use of mobiles and doing your hair plays a part ...in the main the driver just wasn't aware of the motorcycles presence.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #52286421st Sep 2009 3:19 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Blimey - didn't expect to start a bikers v non-bikers post.

DSL - Red Cross Shocked best stick a few quid in the next help for heros bucket Thumbs Up

Some good stuff on here, I have had my fair share of "SMIDSY" - (Sorry mate I didn't see you) looks from motorsits at junctions and the like, but as already mentioned the wilful swerving to block your progress is a real Evil or Very Mad move

Anyway, DG you've convinced me I'm selling the ZX6

and buying a Sprint ST Mr. Green
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...." 

Last edited by 90BHP on 21st Sep 2009 8:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #52293721st Sep 2009 7:21 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Focus ST??? Shocked

Post #52294321st Sep 2009 7:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >