Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Have the BING BONGs gone yet?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Have the BING BONGs gone yet?

O.K. - I've been a bit of a sleeper here Embarassed Currently own a 1998 GU Nissan Patrol which has been highly reliable, but it's now time to look for a replacement so have been looking at this excellent forum for some time now.

Currently thinking along the lines of Disco 3 HSE TDV6 or a Landcruiser Sahara (I think it's called an Amazon is some markets) Turbo Diesel. My heart is saying Disco3 but my head is saying Landcruiser.

The Patrol is used as a touring and towing vehicle (tows my 2.5tonne caravan) and we travel long distances several times a year. For example on one trip last year we spent 2 months and 10,000 kms travelling to north Queensland and return. This year we are considering setting out across the Nullabor to southern Western Australia.

So why is the head saying Toyota? Simple - the car should be well and truly sorted by now having been on the market for 8 or so years, the Toyota dealer network is vast and Landcruisers are very prevalent here in Oz. On the other hand Disco3's are still quite rare, the dealer network is thin on the ground, and LR has surely been tested with all the suspension, compressor and other issues'Crying or Very sad'

But........ I really quite like the Disco 3! Looking at the trends in the various posts on the forum it seems to me that the various incidences of tearing of hair, gnashing of teeth, and wailings out loud seem to be ebbing. So I ask the question - have the BING BONG's gone yet? Or is it that everybody has just been worn down to the point that they don't/can't bother anymore?

Hope you are still with me, and thanks for looking.

Regards, Ian.('Confused')

Post #5874917th May 2006 8:04 am
Ken

Ian do the right thing order a D3 yes it will have a few issues (may be) but what new car dont. The new M is falling apart.

There will be a small event in the UK soon just to show how the D3 is and it will be pitched against a Land Cruiser

Go one do it you know you want too Very Happy

Post #5875117th May 2006 8:09 am
Pelyma

England 

I've done 2500 miles in my new one and not a single bong! To my mind it would depend on how much off road you do, how much on road too. If you are looking for an opinion between the two you're not likley to get an unbiased view. My adice would be to drive the 2 as near back to back and see what you think - but I know which I would buy Wink
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #5875317th May 2006 8:14 am
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

hi irobbie,

well i bought an early release in Aus and have had the bing bongs.
but now all is sorted ... the suspension compressor was my biggest issue and that got sorted with the Jan06 spec. compressor.
I had a great day in Lithgow 4wding last Saturday and was adjusting heights no problem. The Disco3's dust proofing is better than the D2 I previously owned ...
After making the most of the weekend with the Disco3, I have now said, my second car will be a D3 as well after the caravan of course .... Very Happy
You won't regret the D3 ...
Smile
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #5877317th May 2006 10:29 am
Jamo

Australia 

Hello irobbie,

Get the D3!

I've had compressor issues, but now everything is fine. You won't find a better tow vehicle and the ride is nothing short of excellent.

As for the LC100, it's ageing and has it's own issues. They've been cracking front control arms at around 50k and destroying front diff crowns at 70k. Sure, they've got a better dealer network, but hey, you'll need it!

Every car has it's issues and these forums are like life these days, you tend to hear the negatives more than the positives.

I'd buy another tomorrow if I could!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5877617th May 2006 10:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Desarzens

Switzerland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

4'000 km of driving pleasure without any bing bong Very Happy

I even start to wonder if I really bought a D3 supposed to be so unreliable Laughing

Post #5877917th May 2006 12:26 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ian,

I've had my TDV6 HSE for just over 1 year now. It was one of the first deliveries in Oz.

I've had my fair share of little problems but all solved by the Dealer without fuss just a tad inconvenient. Nothing major and my D3 has seen plenty of off-road tracks.

I thought about proven 4WD's like Cruisers but as you say they are 8 years old but old technology.

Just do it you won't regret it.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #5878417th May 2006 12:50 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Desarzens wrote:
4'000 km......without any bing bong

I'm sorry to hear that Desarzens! Have you tried flowers, or taking her out to dinner! Wink
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5878717th May 2006 1:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Desarzens

Switzerland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Yes took her out to dinner but forgot the flowers Embarassed should be that!

Will let you know Smile

Post #5879017th May 2006 1:09 pm
irobbie

Thanks for all your replies and feedback.

Will be taking a D3 for a towing test in the next week or so, and that may be the deciding factor. Will let you know how it goes.

Ian.

Post #5891917th May 2006 11:21 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

8500 miles in mine so far and no poblems at all so it would seem that the 2006 spec cars are mainly sorted.

I've owned a fair few cars over the past 30 odd years and not one of them could hold a candle to the Disco 3 - it may well be the last car I ever own (apart from trading it in for another one in a few years time that is!!).

I use mine for towing our 1.9 tonne caravan and the Disco hardly knows its there - in fact in low range (which I use when manouvering the 'van) it DOESN'T know its there and will move off at idle (mines an auto by the way) without you having to touch the throttle.

It's a fantastic machine - go order one now Thumbs Up
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #5893818th May 2006 8:57 am
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

so did you want a reliable toyota ???? .....
i'll stick to my ultra tough Disco3 Smile

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...9&vf=2

One of Toyota’s most popular four-wheel-drives is being recalled to repair a fault with the rear axle.

Japanese auto giant Toyota Motor Corp said on Tuesday it will recall over 210,000 Land Cruiser Prado sports utility vehicles worldwide due to a problem with rear axle shafts.

The defective parts, which could develop cracks, will be replaced with fortified shafts, the Japanese motor company said in a statement.

The recalled vehicles were manufactured between April 1996 and January 1999.

Of the total, 107,767 of the affected vehicles were sold in Japan and 109,573 mainly in Europe, Australia and China, Toyota spokeswoman Shiori Hashimoto said.
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #5894118th May 2006 9:43 am
irobbie

Completed Tow Test today. Please see my other post in the Technical forum under "Weight Distribution Hitch Not to be Used".

Oh, and no Bing Bongs!

Bashir, thanks for the info on the Prado - obviously even Toyota, as big as they are, is not insulated from problems. I've also read on the internet that the 100 Series has had problems with the independent front suspension and rear diffs but not to the same extent as the Prado.

Post #5985224th May 2006 9:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >