Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

A bit of a drive in the bush...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
A bit of a drive in the bush...

The D3 had a good work-out a few weeks ago - a round trip of about 5500km. of fast bitumen and sloooow and rough dirt.

I drove to Alice Springs via Owen Springs Reserve, just before Alice and out to the West. The Reserve had been highly touted by 4X4 Australia mag. as an interesting drive - it was, but dry as the proverbial and very rough corrugated tracks with deep, loose sand in the river crossings. These really tried out the coil-sprung D3, which dragged it's belly but made it through. The high ridge of stones in the centre of the tracks proved a problem though and necessitated driving with one side up on the verge. The exhaust system is now a different shape..

Into Alice from the west along Larapinta Drive, then back on the boring black-top. No speed limits there (But now the NT Gov. has just announced a limit of 130km/h), so cruise control on 150 and the MP3 player plugged into the stereo and sit back for the 770km. to Elliott. I met up with my son there and the trip back was via the western edge of the Tanami Desert on some Aboriginal Community tracks, then a short run on the Tanami Track and then into the West MacDonnell Ranges via Haarst's Bluff. Very rough in places - dust and corrugations, which the Disco handled well, and a low frequency series of 'jump-ups', probably caused by the locals' cars which have long since lost their shockers. These the D3 did not like and the 3 tonnes of metal sometimes left the ground.

Final bit of the trip was along the Oodnadatta Track and here we had the only problem of the trip - a stone fracture through the centre of the tread on a Wrangler. The Oodnadatta Track is mostly well graded but very stoney and it is recommended to run tyres at reduced pressure. It's also remote and lonely - on the 211km. stretch from Marla to Oodnadatta we did not see a single vehicle - and it was hot! William Creek registered 42 degrees C.!

So I can report that the Disco is dust-proof (A change from the Defender!!) and very comfortable, and the average fuel consumption, actually used as I do not have a trip computer, was 11.2l/100km., mostly premium, but a few tanks of standard unleaded where premium was not available. And I don't feel bad about buying a petrol version, as even Premium petrol was cheaper than diesel in the bush! Total trip time was 10 days, and now the Disco is just about due for it's 24000km. service.

I'll post some photos shortly.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #10554129th Nov 2006 9:14 am
Jamo

Australia 

Sounds like a great trip, Tony!

It's a bit of a shame that LR prduced such a well though out vehicle and then let the exhaust pipes hang down in such a vulnerable way. Mine are no longer perfectly round!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #10556729th Nov 2006 11:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Tony, Jamo is right on; sounds like a great trip through some very interesting country and it is a shame that at least two things weren't considered for Aussie conditions - a larger fuel tank option and the clearance of those pipes under the chassis.

BTW, your fuel economy is commendable especially as I assume the car would have been loaded up. I hope my diesel does as well when I get out that way. My 24,000 service is coming up next month.

I look forward to your pictures in the gallery.

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #10557729th Nov 2006 12:12 pm
Tony

Nine new photos uploaded.
Post #10574229th Nov 2006 10:56 pm
Tony

Hi Lee & Jamo,
Yes, the car did have a small load - 30 litres of water, 20 litres petrol (Those Canadian jerrycans are the duck's - no leaks or smell of fuel, no flaking paint inside, and they are no dearer than the Chinese steel ones!), plus tucker and stove and the Chescold fridge plus an emergency slab of Coopers Sparkling Ale. All this went along the left side with the rear seats folded, leaving plenty of room to sleep on the right side. A self-inflating treking mattress made it very comfortable! Of course I had to leave Annie at home to look after the cats, and when I met up with my son, he used his swag.

Just be a bit careful re diesel supplies in the NT outback, and even on the highway. A lot of servos are struggling - take a look at the condition of their premises and pumps - and the incidences of dirty fuel seem to be rising, according to the truckies. Might be an idea to chuck in a spare fuel filter.

Sadly, the budget will not stretch to a rear spare mount and big fuel tank, but I am considering a set of King springs to get the thing a bit higher.

Cheers,
Tony.
Post #1061581st Dec 2006 8:40 am
Pelyma

England 

Awesome pictures and trip, it is certainly an amazing country, if only we could camp like that Sad
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1061651st Dec 2006 9:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >