Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Bit of a rant - got the hump with someone but not sure who
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mzplcg

England 
Bit of a rant - got the hump with someone but not sure who

OK, I think this is the right place - MODS please move if not.

Anyway, I had a puncture so off I trot to ATS. the chap finds the puncture, a small one in one of the outer tread blocks, right in the middle. Looks like a panel pin type hole or similar. Anyway, he tells me it's too close to the edge to repair. Sad

New tyre is the only option open to me apparently. I was a bit miffed with 5mm of tread left but hey-ho, that's life. Then come the words, "sorry chap but we've got none in stock."
OK I reply, could you put the spare on for me please and order a tyre?
Nope. Apparently if there's more than 2mm difference in tread depth it confuses the air suspension and traction control. Confused

So I took my Censored in my hands and left, complete with slow puncture. I then went to another place where the chap looked and agreed it was close but not too close to the edge to repair. Many measurements were taken and he then asked about my predicament (I have a journey tomorrow of about 500 miles) and since he had no new ones in stock, agreed to repair it. He was very meticulous and inspected the inside very thoroughly to ensure a repair would be safe and then performed the job.

So I'm sort of happy. Happy I haven't got to waste a tyre with 5mm on it and happy that I can do the job tomorrow.

What I've got the hump about is
1. The bloke who wouldn't repair it. Wouldn't even call another ATS depot to see if they had a new tyre.
2. Landrover. Is their TC and air suspension software so bad that this 2mm difference crap is actually true? If so, why do we bother with a spare wheel? Confused
3. Ultimately, even if the repair is safe, I don't fancy risking life and limb on something which could be borderline so I'm going to have a pair of new boots anyway. Why does nobody seem to stock 255/55/19 tyres? 4 days lead time is the best I've found. When I asked about getting some mail order they all want to charge me £25 a corner to fit the things. A tenner I could understand - 40 quid for half an hours work. No doubt there'll be another tenner to cover the cost of the risk assessment Censored

So, not sure who I am upset with really. Certainly not the bloke who dug me out of the smelly stuff but .....tomorrow's journey will be 60mph max.

Any thoughts Gents?

Post #53791721st Oct 2009 7:37 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

On the Salisbury event StaplDM (Dom) had new tyres on the front (ATR or MTR) and very worn normal road tyres on the rear. Way more than 5mm difference. Think the bloke was talking c*ck persoanlly!!!
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #53792021st Oct 2009 7:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

You forgot to mention the person who left the offending pin somewhere where it came into contact with your tyre, without whom none of the rest would be relevant Wink Whistle Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #53792121st Oct 2009 7:46 pm
mzplcg

England 

Thanks!! That made me LOL with a mouthful of coffee. Thumbs Up I really should know better by now Rolling with laughter

Post #53792421st Oct 2009 7:47 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

1. I think some people wear more Teflon than others. The second chap actually measured it to ensure it could be done safely. Did the 'couldn't be arsed' ATS ambassador even get a gauge out?

2. Just No. Other cars can cook the viscous coupling that makes them a soft roader (early Volvo XCs were notorious) but as real 4x4 the D3 diffs just work normally. Once it gets to cms of difference it can start to confuse the traction control (smaller tyre rotates faster so it seems to be slipping compared to other tyres) but mms should be pretty irrelevant. More Censored from your ATS buddy.

3. Why not try our site sponsors/supporters such as ajs4x4 or Ken? Or consider what's the worst that can happen if the patch comes adrift...you get your slow puncture back. Biggie? Just keep an eye on your pressures like you always do anyway (dontcha?)

Edit : Neil Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #53793121st Oct 2009 7:56 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

i have a rear tyre with 13mm and the another 3 tyres with 8mm tread and dont have any problems
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #53793821st Oct 2009 8:04 pm
mzplcg

England 

That's good enough for me Gents. I must confess to catching a whiff of bovine excrement but said nowt until I had consulted the collective oracle here.

Yes, the ATS bloke got a gauge out and it looked pretty close to me. Close but not impossible. But I don't like to mess around with tyres or brakes. I just tend to do the safest thing possible. After all, this vehicle carries the most precious cargo ever - my lovely wife, my fantastic Son and my 2 gorgeous Border Collies Smile

Nice knowing about the site sponsors as well. I feel a set of Scorpion ATR's coming on Wink Living on an un-made road punctures have been a bit of an issue for me over the years, something I learned to live with but those ATR's look a little more hardy than the goodyears I have at present. Possibly a little less puncture prone maybe. And from the write ups they seem quite quiet as well. Bonus !!

Post #53794721st Oct 2009 8:18 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I once ran for 20 odd miles with an MTR 19" 12mm on the NSF ....a space saver 18" 8mm NSR and two Scorpions on 18" 6mm OSF&R without any suspension issues Thumbs Up The guy is talking out of his rectum Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #53805221st Oct 2009 10:07 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Ran with 3 255/60/18s and 1 255/55/18 due to a tyre centre foul up and only problem was it wouldn't shift into 6th without being put in command shift. No ABS/DSC/Suspension issues.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #53810121st Oct 2009 10:57 pm
01coccobet

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I ran same as NoDoSh for about 1500miles with no issue Whistle
sorry ND,but mine ran well even in full auto at any speed
So no big deal at all....my only thought was an eventual insurrance claim in case of an accident Rolling Eyes
cheers Thumbs Up
 figuring it out!!!!
the best feeling:getting airborne. 

Post #53810621st Oct 2009 11:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Yes, I should think you jolly well ought to apologise Evil or Very Mad

Although not sure what for Laughing Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #53810921st Oct 2009 11:10 pm
goodfella

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

[quote="mzplcg"]
my lovely wife, my fantastic Son and my 2 gorgeous Border Collies Smile

I'm sure you accidentally got the adjectives mixed up for your wife and collies Whistle Rolling with laughter
 Badda bing.......How you doin'?

Java black SE, standard spec. Clean and shiny.

Club TFC - Off Road Essentials
Club Tesco Finest Warranty
Club G4 Stickers even though it's not a G4
Club Rhino Rack 

Post #53814022nd Oct 2009 7:32 am
SN

eh? don't think 'lovely border collie .... and two gorgeous wives' is legal in this country is it? Whistle Wink
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #53816022nd Oct 2009 9:12 am
Dave T

England 

I recently got pirelli ATR's from Ken and was also quoted £25 a corner to fit by kwikfit. Found an independant that did it for a tenner a corner. If you have trouble finding anyone go through the ordering process on blackcirles.co.uk and that will list small garages that fit that you could try

Post #53818522nd Oct 2009 9:52 am
al cope

England 

as you've seen, the guy just wanted to sell you a new tyre, and then shot himself in the foot when he found he'd none in stock.

I've run with a 265/50x20 on one back corner and a 255/55x19 on the other for about 40 miles, didnt change driving style, car never complained once.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #53819822nd Oct 2009 10:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >