Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Blown Clutch 30,000 miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Helmsdale

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Blown Clutch 30,000 miles

I own an 18 month old Discovery 3 HSE spec TDV6 and owned the Discovery 2 before it. To date I have been absolutely delighted with it particularly on regular long drives between Northern Ireland and the Highlands. I have never had anything other than minor issues such as broken rearwiper blade, petrol cap and a defective roof seal. Last week I put the vehicle in for it's 30,000 mile service and got it back the following day. As I was driving it back from the service I noticed the amber park brake warning light had come on and the clutch seemed to be slipping. I went to the dealer the next day brought their attention to it and was told to bring it back in. I did this and after examination I was told it had a blown clutch, not covered by warranty (Clutch warranty apparently is 24,000 miles). I was assured that the activation of the park brake warning light was a separate issue involving a simple electrical fault. They told me they had photographed it and sent it to Landrover by E-mail.LR came back and reaffirmed it was a wear and tear issue. In simple terms the car I put in for servicing was not the one I got back. The dealers are prepared to make some allowance on the £1000 + bill for a new clutch but effectively I am getting a collective shrug of the shoulders and a hint that it must be my driving style. The vehicle is primarily used on regular roads with occasional off road use. I have only towed with it once and that was a lightweight trailer. I have owned Discoveries for the past 6 years with no issues

Anyone experience anything similar or can give me any pointers. I find it hard to accept that the servicing and the blown clutch are unrelated(The dealers say they do nothing during servicing that impacts upon the clutch).

Post #13165620th Feb 2007 8:14 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

You are being given the run around. I do not think there is any such specific restriction; that may be a Land Rover internal guideline, but it won't stand up in court.

With the caveat that I need to double check NI specific conditions, if any, your warranty covers you against mechanical defects. In essence, you are being told that you have mishandled the vehicle and the clutch failure is your fault.

Your rights as a consumer, which overarch your warranty anyway, are that you are entitled to a product that is not only fit for purpose, but will last (or its component parts will) for a reasonable period of time. 18 months might be reasonable for a clutch, but 24k miles is not.

I assume that you have done nothing adverse with the vehicle.

So - tell them to fix it under warranty or you will excercise your rights and they may get sued.

Post #13166920th Feb 2007 9:21 pm
Helmsdale

Thanks Winger!

The car has 30,000 miles on it not 24,000.

NI Consumer rights are the same as the rest of the UK.

Is 30,000 ok for a clutch?

Post #13168420th Feb 2007 10:18 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Get them to show you where the 24k restriction is documented in the information that has been provided to you. I don't think any such restriction is listed in the warranty documentation.

Brake pads are one thing, a clutch is something entirely different.

Are you dealing with the supplying dealer?

Post #13169620th Feb 2007 10:49 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

LR have a UK 3 year warranty... NI is in the UK last time I looked. But as Winger say's it may possibly be different but I doubt it.

The clutch should last for far longer than 18 months / 30K miles Shocked unless its been really abused... and then they have to prove that of course.

There have been a few clutch failures with early build D3's from what I hear. i have even been asked (Dec '04 reg) by my dealer if I have noticed anything. After 56K all is so far OK.

I would call Land Rover Customer Assistance and double check your warranty first thing in the morning.

keep us posted and good luck

Post #13170020th Feb 2007 11:07 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

The provinces do differ, from time to time, in terms of many aspects of the law. NI, though, is indeed in the same boat as England and Wales. That isn't the same as being part of the UK, Mr. Sheep

As you say, it is down to the dealer to prove that the the failure is the result of misuse - 30k, under normal conditions, is certainly unreasonable for a clutch to fail.

One final point: the warranty argument is with the dealer, not Land Rover. The dealer merely has recourse to reclaim the cost from Land Rover. All this business you hear about dealers getting "authority" to undertake a warranty repair is legal nonsense: what they actually are doing is checking if they will be reimbursed.....

So, I'd not be in any rush to square the circle with LRCA myself.

Post #13170520th Feb 2007 11:20 pm
simon

points taken... but I thought the warranty was with the manufacturer and the dealer claimed back the cost of parts and received a fee for doing the work.

And I thought we had NI as part of the UK ? Have they devolved ?

Anyway... rum deal Helmsdale is experiencing. I know Shukers would not be trying to bill me for this.

Post #13170820th Feb 2007 11:26 pm
Helmsdale

Thanks a bunch guys. I am dealing with Charles Hurst the main Landrover dealers in Belfast. The vehicle was supplied through another dealers but Charles Hurst is very close to my home. i have never had any problems with them but it's the old adage you never know how good they are until something goes wrong. I can't remain without my vehicle so I must get new the clutch put in, however I will take all your points onboard. The vehicle was going perfectly before servicing all this occurred instantly after I got it back in conjunction with the parking brake fault warning light going on.

Post #13171220th Feb 2007 11:40 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

The warranty is with the manufacturer - which is why you can deal with any dealer, not just the supplying dealer. However, the actual mechanics are somewhat different, though transparent to the (in this instance) victim.

I would suggest that our friend here conducts a little survery amongst members who drive manuals and asks how many miles they have done and not needed a new clutch.

It is nonsense to suggest that a major component, that will cost four figures to fix, is not designed to work for longer than 30k miles (time isn't really relevant in this instance).

This would be a case when it would certainly be worth an expert opinion on the clutch that is actually removed..........make sure Mr. H that you get the dealer to leave the failed clutch in the back of your vehicle. It is yours, not theirs. You can then get an independent inspection done and take it from there - if they are going to hold their current position.

Post #13171320th Feb 2007 11:43 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Possibly not relevant in this case (but worth checking out), there's a TSB that covers replacement of a faulty clutch with a heavy duty one, I had this done on my D3 under warranty at around 20k miles
 The End  
Post #13171420th Feb 2007 11:46 pm
simon

Si do you have the number ?

Mine is fine (god I hope I don't regret this) for nearly 57K miles. Did you request the heavy duty clutch or did you have concerns ?

Post #13171720th Feb 2007 11:50 pm
Helmsdale

Pardon my ignorance but what is a TSB and how do I access it?

Post #13171820th Feb 2007 11:50 pm
simon

Technical Service Bulliten

URL here

Paid access to articles though... unless someone can help out here who has paid for access Wink

Post #13172020th Feb 2007 11:54 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

TSB 308-001

A customer may report a concern of one or more of the following symptoms:

This bulletin has been re-issued to include a closing VIN.

Strong odors from under vehicle when, or after, a slow speed maneuver (e.g. difficult parking maneuver), especially when on gradients.
Clutch slip.
The clutch pedal has stuck in the downward position or not releasing fully.
Difficulty in engaging gears.

Cause: The clutch drive plate lining material is not tolerant to high heat inputs caused by slipping, becomes soft and is then damaged beyond recovery even when it has cooled.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to renew the clutch assembly.

Manual transmission vehicles only VIN-range: 5A300394-7A422271

Post #13172120th Feb 2007 11:58 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Si; My D3 had some of the symptoms

Helmsdale; Technical Service Bulletin. Available (but not for free) from http://www.landrovertechinfo.com

TSB LTB00018

Subject/Concern: Discovery 3/LR3 - Clutch Slip/Odor

Models: Discovery 3 / LR3 Engine: 2.7L(TdV6) Diesel
Manual transmission vehicles only VIN-range: 5A300394-7A422271

Markets: All

Summary: A customer may report a concern of one or more of the following symptoms:

This bulletin has been re-issued to include a closing VIN.

* Strong odors from under vehicle when, or after, a slow speed maneuver (e.g. difficult parking maneuver), especially when on gradients.
* Clutch slip.
* The clutch pedal has stuck in the downward position or not releasing fully.
* Difficulty in engaging gears.

Cause: The clutch drive plate lining material is not tolerant to high heat inputs caused by slipping, becomes soft and is then damaged beyond recovery even when it has cooled.

Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to renew the clutch assembly.
 The End  
Post #13172320th Feb 2007 11:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >