Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Blown Diff
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Pelyma

England 
Blown Diff

I'm back from Crufts, we made it there in the end after my car was recovered back home on a recovery truck and the journey was recomenced in my wife's Freelander.

It was very scary seeing thick smoke come out from the bonnet, we've never got ourselves and dogs out of the car so quick, thankfully we only had one with us. A word to the wise as well the recovery agents will not let dogs travel in the lorry cab they have to remain in the car.

The next day the car was delivered to my dealers who have diagnosed a blown front diff. Aparently this has to authourised by LR, they have had to submit photos and upload all the info from the car to LR for them to examine and interrogate on their systems which presumably can tell more than the dealer.

What is curious is despite the intense heat (it has turned the diff blue like an oxy acteyline torch has been put on it) and when I got out the heat really hit me not a single error came up.

I think I have reached the end of the road with this car, if that sort of heat has been created what damage has it done that can't be seen? I presume the front diff must sit very close to the gear box so presumably this is possibly/probably weakened, what pipes etc in the engine have been damaged and when are they going to fail? In short I have no faith in the car for the future.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4737913th Mar 2006 9:07 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

You're right Pelyma, it may have implications for other components on the car (particularly the engine) - if it's got that hot and the casing has gone blue then it's clearly gone outside the specification of the metal and it WILL be damaged.

Unless they replace everything that's possibly damaged it can't be put right by just cobbling it together with a new diff (bit like replacing the whole fuel system for a diesel/petrol misfuel).

Sorry to hear of your trouble Crying or Very sad
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #4738513th Mar 2006 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Very odd this one. Did you feel the car displaying any unusual signs before it gave up? it must have sapped a lot of power to get that hot. I presume the smoke was the oil escaping from the seals.

Post #4738813th Mar 2006 9:22 pm
Pelyma

England 

One thing I am going to buy is a fire extinguisher as it is bloody frightening thinking the car is going to go up.

For a car that bings errors up at the drop of a hat I find it amazing no errors were thrown up.

Last edited by Pelyma on 14th Mar 2006 9:41 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #4739313th Mar 2006 9:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Are you going to go for a replacement, or were you really serious about the Tourag?

Post #4739813th Mar 2006 9:34 pm
Pelyma

England 

Gareth whilst at Crufts I spent my time looking at cars not dogs Embarassed I have eliminated RRS (only worth having in except in SC form) RR (too expensive and new engine not out until EOY but I am in love 8) ) Porker (just dont go there) Toyota (not good enough on road) X5 ( Rolling with laughter ) XC90 ( Thud ) Q7 (see XC90)

If LR aren't silly I will buy another D3 it is head and shoulders above the rest. I really really want to hate it after scaring the cr@p out of me and it still gives me shivers what if we had the kids and all 5 dogs on board. If they do play about then a Touareg is a probability, but I haven't driven one yet and a V10 sounds 8)

I wasn't joking about having bought a Touareg though I have a Rally one (RC) for my lad Embarassed and I'm itching to take it out with him Wink But we have to get a few bits first.

Post #4741313th Mar 2006 9:48 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Lets hope LR do the right thing. Have they lent you a decent car, or are you slumming it?

Post #4741513th Mar 2006 9:50 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

not really suprising that the car didn't spit any errors out.... no front diff. Censored up sensors are fitted Rolling Eyes
how are you fixed for the weekend? Confused

Post #4741613th Mar 2006 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

At the mo I have a Laguna Shocked But I have a phone number Wink BTW I tried to phone you on Sunday but I couldn't get through.

Post #4741913th Mar 2006 9:53 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You tried to phone me? My phone was in my pocket all the time. I have a new pda thingy and I am not used to it yet.

Post #4742013th Mar 2006 9:57 pm
Pelyma

England 

No not you sorry Gareth, don't know your no, I meant TFC

Post #4742413th Mar 2006 10:01 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
This is the strange thing the car felt normal except for a strange smell. I was on the M3 when it first started (right where it meets the M27) but due to the symptoms didn't stop until the A34 and also the fact that it wasn't safe to stop on that stretch of the M3 as it is difficult to get away from the hard shoulder particularly with the dog.

One thing I am going to buy is a fire extinguisher as it is bloody frightening thinking the car is going to go up.

For a car that bings errors up at the drop of a hat I find it amazing no errors were thrown up.
the smell alerted you to an "error" that must be a good 10 - 15 miles up the m3 its hardly surprising it got that hot in the long run if you are concerned about safety it would have been better to stop than carry on and risk the diff exploding - locking up and causing carnage on the motorway its probably only a collapsed bearing i would have no probs with having a replacment diff etc as long as its done properly its as good as new Smile  
Post #4743113th Mar 2006 10:16 pm
Pelyma

England 

As the car was running ok in my opinion it was safer to get away from the congested motorway particularly as I had a dog with me. Having suffered punctures on the M3 before I can assure you it is a bloody scary stretch as you can't get away from the road. Most deaths occur on the hard shoulder I did not want to be another. The smell could easily have been a bag underneath and for some time I thought it was the catalytic convertor of the car in front as you often get a similar smell from them. Funnily enough the diff was the last thing I expected so it wasn't really a descision anyone could have made. Indeed the car made it on and off the transpoter (both) under its own steam.

Last edited by Pelyma on 14th Mar 2006 9:42 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4744013th Mar 2006 10:26 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
lucky

deleted keep away from reality

Last edited by catoperator on 14th Mar 2006 7:33 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4745213th Mar 2006 10:45 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

catoperator

sorry mate but i agree with pelyma get off the motorway and look after yourself and your own family 1st sorry but thats the way it is in my opinion

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #4745913th Mar 2006 10:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >