Page 2 of 2 <12
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Indeed - LTB00358v2 issued 18th March 2011
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #7925834th May 2011 1:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LouLou

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Still getting a lot of blue smoke on hard acceleration despite turbo replacement. Dealer has had the car back and say they have cleaned out the exhaust pipes and put them back together, taken the car out and hey presto more blue smoke...so...they decided to let one of their tech guys take the car home overnight so that they could try a cold engine start...guess what.....still blue smoke. Apparently they don't know what the problem is and have been advised by the Land Rover technical dept. to "watch the problem over the next 1000 miles". We said that isn't really a plan since it'd take us a long time to do 1000 miles! They brought the car back saying they know the problem isn't resolved and are awaiting advice from Land Rover. I am still very confused as to why they keep referring to the turbo as opposed to the turbos.....it's as though they are convinced there is one and not two.....it couldn't possibly be that they just need to replace the other turbo too could it??? Confused

Post #79625113th May 2011 8:25 pm
chm

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

According to my understanding it is the second turbo giving the issue, so yes just one turbo. That is presumably why you see blue smoke only under hard acceleration. The second turbok only kicks in at 2500 revs...
 regards, Carl-Hein  
Post #79661915th May 2011 7:44 am
snapper1

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto ArubaDiscovery 4

Going in tomorrow for new turbo's, as the body has to come off is there anywhere particular i should be looking for faults damage etc or is it just a general look round when i pick it up. has anybody had any problems, rattles etc since there's was done
 Disco 4 HSE Lux
Series 2A
Series 3 2.6 

Post #79746816th May 2011 11:31 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Turbo bulletin has been out for a while. Did however get a call from dealer today stating there is new bulletin out about a new one way valve and pipe work. Anyone else heard this?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #79861120th May 2011 12:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I thought this was a known issue as a result of oil migration between the two turbos. LR were supposed to be working on a fix.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #79861520th May 2011 1:45 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Yes the one way vale as above
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #79863120th May 2011 5:48 am
LouLou

Here's a link to my smokin' disco! 4!

The dealer's had my car again (the third time for the same issue) for coming up to 2 months now. They've put in another new turbo which means they've replaced it twice - they've also stripped down the exhaust system and cleaned out all the pipework twice and the car's still smoking. They don't know what to do. They have spent 90 hours on it not including the test drives and discussions with LR technical. Some sort of diagnostic test on the turbo gave results of 125 for turbo 1 and 12 for turbo 2. Not sure what the figures mean - does it mean anything to anyone out there? Anyone got any advice?

Thanks guys!

Post #82532412th Aug 2011 9:19 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

That is seriously bad news bat man Sad
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #82533112th Aug 2011 9:27 pm
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Is your dealer aware of the latest version of the bulletin (LTB00358v4):

A customer may report a concern of excessive exhaust smoke.

This version has been issued to add a check procedure in the Summary.

Prior to condemning the turbo as the root cause, note engine oil only seen at secondary turbo outlet(s), please carry out the following checks:

1. Check air filter to ensure no blockages exist.

2. Check engine oil level to ensure an overfill condition does not exist.

3. Check for any blockages in the oil drain pipe.

4. Check that the breather pipe to the primary turbocharger is not blocked or kinked.

5. Ensure the scavenge system is working and is not blocked. This can be done by initially draining the oil from the mini sump/catch tank. Place the scavenge pipe in a donor sump filled with 1 litre of engine oil and start the engine and leave at idle for 30 seconds then switch off the engine. All the oil should have been sucked out of the donor sump with only a small drain coming back in, approximately 300mls, this would confirm the scavenge system is operating correctly.

Any faults found other than the secondary turbo charger are to be claimed as a separate Warranty Claim.

• Once all the residual oil has been removed from the system and the new turbo fitted, Land Rover recommends the vehicle is taken on a short drive cycle. The drive cycle should be carried out with the engine under load (above 2500rpm), this initialises bi-turbo mode. The drive cycle will help to seat the piston rings internal to the turbocharger, which in turn will produce a better seal.

Post #82534012th Aug 2011 9:43 pm
LouLou

Thanks Q86ARR, I'll pass that on to them and see what they say. I would be amazed if they haven't been given that info by LR technical though. Rolling Eyes

Post #82534212th Aug 2011 9:49 pm
Dfer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Smoke and need acceleration.

Having a blue smoke problem with the D4, spoken to my indie who is LR trained it's oil pooling in the second turbo. I am having an upgrade on the oil pipe which requires two gaskets, pipe £70, gaskets £4, each X2,, it makes sense, when idle in traffic the second turbo kicks in and starts to spin and pools with oil, then when you drive and floor it or accelerate hard it kicks the oil out under load, £280 quid labour. Booked in shortly.

Post #20902607th Oct 2019 11:00 am
Lazydave

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just done this on mine on the driveway at home. There is a tech bulletin available with easy to follow instructions.
 2010 HSE
Full service genuine parts.
Front and rear pads.
Turbo oil drain pipe mod.
LED interior lights upgrade.
Both rear door actuators.
Tailgate handle/ switch.
Facelift grille and rear lights.
Fitted cross bars.
New rear discs and pads.
New RH inlet manifold.
New air con condensor.
New battery.
New EGR pipe.
New front discs and pads.
New propshaft. 

Post #20904137th Oct 2019 6:55 pm
adam

United Kingdom 
Re: Smoke and need acceleration.

Dfer wrote:
Having a blue smoke problem with the D4, spoken to my indie who is LR trained it's oil pooling in the second turbo. I am having an upgrade on the oil pipe which requires two gaskets, pipe £70, gaskets £4, each X2,, it makes sense, when idle in traffic the second turbo kicks in and starts to spin and pools with oil, then when you drive and floor it or accelerate hard it kicks the oil out under load, £280 quid labour. Booked in shortly.

The difference is amazing once it’s done
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #20904267th Oct 2019 7:33 pm
Dfer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

mowog wrote:
I reported blue smoke under acceleration on my D4. They claim no fault found. I might have to follow this up.

I have just had mine in for blue smoke, D4, 3 litre tdv6 HSE, 68000, on the clock. 9 years old. Second turbo full of oil and the intercooler etc. I have had the oil pipe upgrade, it developed a fault with the air flow meter as well, no faults showing on the diagnostics. The landy is running absolutely great, smoke cured. Quieter. I recommend you get the oil pipe upgrade as a matter of course. All in all three days in the garage and painstaking head scratching for my indie, not shy of £1k. It was due for the upgraded oil pipe next week but the air flow meter suddenly went with no warning. Both were connected and the oil pipe caused the problems.

Post #209354919th Oct 2019 12:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >