DISCO4.COM > General

BLUE TOOTH KIT QUERY ON LR3 V8 SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ian123

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi all

Looking to install the lr 3 bluetooth kit but am getting mixed reviews.Does it have caller ID on the radio screen?? Do you need the cradle for this or will it simply work off the bluetooth??? My phone is a Nokia N 70.

Anybody out there who has this bluetooth kit in their LR3??? Would appreciate help!!

many thanks!
ian
 ian  
Post #5971523rd May 2006 11:20 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

I have the Bluetooth kit in my car and have found it limited in its abilities. You cannot access any of the numbers in your phone, nor does caller ID appear on your touchscreen. I have also experienced problems when making calls in that it only seems to connect when it feels like it - more often than not, it will 'hang up' as the call is being connected.

All in all, I have not found it particularly useful so it's just as well I'm not dependant on it. When it works, its great but getting it to work can be frustrating. I have a Sony-Ericsson S700i by the way.

You would be better off trying to use the cradle (if you have one) built into the cubby box lid but few phones will fit that.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #5972423rd May 2006 1:30 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Further to the above, there is a document on this site http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/extfree2viewlrprod/index.jsp
that shows what (very few!!!) phones Land Rover have tested and approved!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #5972523rd May 2006 1:40 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If it is the Land Rover PTI kit, it does show what number is calling U on the infotainment screen.

Derek

Post #5972923rd May 2006 2:27 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

I think that's only true if you have the phone in the docking cradle, allowing the system access to the phone book. With Bluetooth, the system cannot access the phone's phone book so the number won't show. However, if the number calling is programmed into the car's SatNav/Telephone system, it might show then - though it doesn't on mine for some reason!

Post #5973423rd May 2006 2:53 pm
grommet

United States 

The number will display without a dock/cradle (Bluetooth connected). A full "name" will display with a dock/cradle, if it's in your phone of course. The display is on your radio/head unit LCD and your instrument cluster; it's never on your Navigation screen. (This is regarding the "more integrated" factory PTI.)

Post #5977723rd May 2006 7:02 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Agreed Grommet, number does show, no name though if BT connected.

Derek

Post #5978523rd May 2006 7:47 pm
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Albourneboy wrote:
All in all, I have not found it particularly useful so it's just as well I'm not dependant on it. When it works, its great but getting it to work can be frustrating. I have a Sony-Ericsson S700i by the way.

No offence Albourneboy, but this says more about the S700i than the LR BlueTooth.

I have an S700i, and I have found it's bluetooth connection with EVERY device dicey, at best, particularly if you try to connect via bluetooth after charging with the phone switched on.

I have even had problems with the SonyEricsson bluetooth car handsfree (HBH-300, I think), not to mention countless PCs. I used the firmware updater, hoping this might right the device. Alas, no joy. The only thing that seems to work, is restarting my S700i regularly (read: daily).

I am currently using a Nokia HS-11W, which gives me most reliable connection.

Sorry if this is off topic, but I just thought I'd share my experiences. Smile

Post #5980923rd May 2006 11:08 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Glymmer_Man wrote:
Albourneboy wrote:

No offence Albourneboy, but this says more about the S700i than the LR BlueTooth.

I have an S700i, and I have found it's bluetooth connection with EVERY device dicey, at best, particularly if you try to connect via bluetooth after charging with the phone switched on.

I have even had problems with the SonyEricsson bluetooth car handsfree (HBH-300, I think), not to mention countless PCs. I used the firmware updater, hoping this might right the device. Alas, no joy. The only thing that seems to work, is restarting my S700i regularly (read: daily).

Thanks for that Glymmer_Man. I'd forgotten how much trouble I've had getting the phone to connect my PC via Bluetooth - I'd given up on it ages ago! It looks as though a change of phone is needed! I did think about updating the phone's firmware but don't think I'll bother now - especially as I'll have to buy a docking cradle to do it and as it won't make things any better, it'll be a waste of money.

Anybody know a good mobile that works reliably with the D3's PTI. One that docks with it would be best but Bluetooth will do. Mind you, LR's list of 'approved' cradle phones is pretty short!

Post #5984024th May 2006 8:13 am
DrLex

Iceland 

Albourneboy wrote:

Anybody know a good mobile that works reliably with the D3's PTI. One that docks with it would be best but Bluetooth will do. Mind you, LR's list of 'approved' cradle phones is pretty short!

I bought a SonyEricsson T630 from Virgin (PAYG) for £69 - cheaper than a cradle. Automatically connects on BT about 95% of the time - the other 5% you just need to click on "connect" in the 'phone menu. Hard to say whether it's due to the SE's or the LR's BT implementation.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #5984324th May 2006 8:27 am
porker

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have a base 7 seat modle, is it possible to get the bluetooth kit retro fitted to the car?

Does anyone know if this is something I could do myself? I have fitted carphone kits in to previous cars.

Regards

Mark

Post #5984724th May 2006 9:01 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The dealer fit kit should work fine. You can easily fit it yourself but you may want to get the steering wheel controls fitted by a dealer unless you're happy removing the airbag yourself
 The End  
Post #5985024th May 2006 9:06 am
DSL

Ukraine 

I got 2 Nokia 6230i "free" (12 month contract with 12 month cheque back on sending in copies of 4th, 8th & 12th bills) from www.onestopphoneshop.com (part of carphonewarehouse group, also try www.e2save.com & www.carphonewarehouse.com all part of CPW). Look at clearance deals, get off peak tarrif & just don't use the time.

Both were "clearance" but were brand new (as were the 2 x 6310is I'd got for the previous carthrough clearance deals).

Newish 6230i patch works (according to blue meanie) and BT connection seems to be pretty good. Have a CR3 cradle so look forward to getting the patch.

Derek

Post #5985824th May 2006 9:40 am
ian123

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Albourneboy wrote:
Further to the above, there is a document on this site http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/extfree2viewlrprod/index.jsp
that shows what (very few!!!) phones Land Rover have tested and approved!

Smile Thanks very much for your reply! I have been chatting to my local dealer in Durban and am going thru the pro's and cons with him today. Landrover South Africa are very anti "after market" bluetooth kits.They have warranty concerns if another make of kit get's fitted -so do i to be honest. I appreciate you informing about the "drop call" aspect .Rather worrying. Also when you've spent 500 000 rand(42K) on a motor vehicle you can't take chances with the warranty!

I got pulled over by the police last Friday for talking on my cell so i jumped into action this week to sort this out

Wiil keep in touch
thanks again
ian
Durban,SA
 ian  
Post #5987924th May 2006 12:03 pm
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Motorola Razr V3 works reliably on BT and voice recognition. Only problem you will get is the fact that you have to have a charger as battery life is pants when BT is turned on.
 2008.5 D3 HSE, Stornoway, Ebony
2007 BMW 335iSE - lust for speed satisfied 

Post #6012325th May 2006 1:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >