Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ROYLANCE

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Bonnet Lock Sensor - AGAIN !!!!

Getting a bit sick of this now
I've had x 5 Land Rover Assists call outs in 2 months
Battery discharge problems and Bonnet Lock Sensor problems

O/S Bonnet Lock had a plug in sensor at the bottom which can warp and lose its connection, the car then thinks the bonnet is open and refuses to lock the car.

Over the past 20 years of driving a whole host of different cars i have never had a breakdown call out.
Discovery 4 = 5 times Evil or Very Mad

And now i'm seeing excess blue smoke on start up Big Cry
 2007 RS4 Avant
Gone just when it was looking so good - 2010 HSE, Nara Bronze + RLD dogs danglies Sump PLate & spare wheel protector + Side Steps + Wiggs Remote Climate + 20" Genuine Stormers + Cooper LTZ Bad Boys + Landmark Black Gloss Grille & Vents + Black Gloss Door Handle Skins + Cubby fridge + Sliding Rear Loadspace 

Post #90270928th Feb 2012 11:48 am
ijwoo1

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

That has happened to me once before. In my case the bonnet switch had just dislodged itself from the mounting clip, so that with the bonnet closed the switch was not sufficiently depressed to close the contacts. It has not happened again since, which makes me think the switch may not have been properly seated in the mounting at the factory.

It should be a pretty simple long term fix, you could use a tie wrap to clamp the switch or connector in place, depending on whether it is the switch or connector that is getting dislodged. The switch is easy to get to.

Initially I just disconnected the switch from the wired connector and inserted a reshaped metal paper clip into the connector to short the contacts. It allowed my to close the bonnet and lock the car until I had more time to work out what the problem was.

Post #9035091st Mar 2012 2:46 am
nickdisco4

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I had the same bonnet problem on the journey back from austria in a car with laptops and other kit - 18 hour journey where I couldn't leave the car was not funny - filling up and the usual essential reasons to leave a car all made it a real pain.

What idiot would design a car that doesn't lock if the bonnect isn't shut? Surely the doors could be secured and the car just gives you a warning it thinks that the bonnet isn't closed? After all, It's just a shoddy sensor but poor design then prevents the car locking.

On my car the dealer replaced the sensor under warranty but had no work around to secure the car when it fails again. I'm all for a quick bodge in an emergency, but the paper clip solution just wouldn't be needed on a properly designed and well built £50k car...

I guess all you can do is keep calling them out and eventually they will fix it properly.

Post #9036021st Mar 2012 12:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >