Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Brake caliper repair kits - worth it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MagicMeg

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3
Brake caliper repair kits - worth it?

Hi, more trouble with my 2005 brakes. I have replaced 1 calliper already (exchange) - are the repair kits worth doing? is this just what they use on the ones you buy? presumably something happens to the casting you have to give back in exchange. Considerably cheaper and a good option (hubby and son both very mechanically minded) ??? thought please

Post #19093481st Feb 2018 8:19 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If the overhaul kit comes with pistons included, it might be worth a go. If not, it's probably not worth the faff, and would be easier to just get new.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #19093531st Feb 2018 8:21 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I would only ever do it with pistons as well....you've had your dollar worth...new ones the best option..
its 13 years old now.

Post #19094001st Feb 2018 9:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

You need to ensure you clean out the groove where the piston goes in other wise it won't last very long

Post #19094111st Feb 2018 9:40 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Many may cringe but I fitted britpart front callipers over 2 years ago they still work I havent crashed and burned and they are still goldish plate finish.
In my opinion and 30 years of spannering, many repair kits arent worth a toss and I would go with new every time even if its cheap new.
Have a look at island4x4 which is were i got mine.

Since then I have used the same cheap make callipers on my 90, they lasted 3 years before seizing, BUT thats pretty much 3 years of not moving much and in some cases not moving for months at a time and at 22 quid each who really cares!

Edit just checked Oct 2015 I fitted the new callipers/discs/pads on the D3.

Edit edit checked prices 40 quid each plus the vat so thats under 50 per calliper Thumbs Up
the scaremongers and non mechs will panic overtime, but they fit and they really do work.

Post #19094631st Feb 2018 11:07 pm
Pete K

Yeah. I put a new rear £40 eBay one on mine

Post #19094641st Feb 2018 11:15 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

+1 ^ I fitted a pair of Britpart rear calipers on mine a year or so ago, no problems so far. They fit, they work, they don't leak... Approx £80 a pair from JGS 4X4 + 4 banjo copper washers + fluid.....Not worth poncing about refurbing the old ones...... I always felt the original caliper pistons did not move in freely enough, causing unnecessary friction/heat/wear/fuel burn Wink
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #19094742nd Feb 2018 12:26 am
DavidSally

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Britpart do have a bad name, eg wheel bearings, but not every part is bad. If you have good recommendations like the above, why not buy new instead of refurbing. At that price it doesn’t seem worth the hassle of stripping and rebuilding the part.

Post #19094982nd Feb 2018 8:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Many may cringe but I fitted britpart front callipers over 2 years ago they still work I havent crashed and burned and they are still goldish plate finish.
In my opinion and 30 years of spannering, many repair kits arent worth a toss and I would go with new every time even if its cheap new.

Since then I have used the same cheap make callipers on my 90, they lasted 3 years before seizing, BUT thats pretty much 3 years of not moving much and in some cases not moving for months at a time and at 22 quid each who really cares!

Edit edit checked prices 40 quid each plus the vat so thats under 50 per calliper Thumbs Up
the scaremongers and non mechs will panic overtime, but they fit and they really do work.

hi

well that’s good to know , can u remember we’re the pads also britpart

as a side note , have u ever fitted drilled or slotted discs plse

been reading a lot of mixed reviews on the slotted discs where sometimes cracks can appear from the holes, where others have said they improve braking ???

once again many thks Thumbs Up

Post #19095552nd Feb 2018 9:57 am
Pete K

slotted discs are ok.

When leaning on the brakes hard, you can feel they are grooved. But it's rare to press the brakes that hard and not a problem anyway.

drilled are fine too.

More for your sports car.

Post #19096112nd Feb 2018 11:34 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:
lynalldiscovery wrote:

hi

well that’s good to know , can u remember we’re the pads also britpart

as a side note , have u ever fitted drilled or slotted discs plse

been reading a lot of mixed reviews on the slotted discs where sometimes cracks can appear from the holes, where others have said they improve braking ???

once again many thks Thumbs Up

I think the discs were delphi, there were cheaper but Ive had problems with cheap discs before.
I would not have thought slotted/drilled discs would make any real difference in your average D3, also worth bearing in mind they look carp when they are worn but still serviceable, whereas normal plain discs still look okay.

Ive seen many many cracked/broken and in one case totally missing discs on trucks, cars not with my own eyes obviously it happens, worn thin discs drive like a nutter with repeated high speed stops thats going to crack them pdq.

Post #19096242nd Feb 2018 11:49 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

had d2 brake rubbers from britpart they were very hard and not nice to use..ended up going back for lr...just wasted my money on britpart

Post #19099492nd Feb 2018 11:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >