jj

Post #78752619th Apr 2011 9:45 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Not so sure about that.

jm105845 wrote:
hi all am i right in saying that there there 2 bulbs per side and only 1 works
at any time and 2nd 1 works when 1st one has blown regards jj

I have the North America spec LR3 so perhaps the UK is different.

Installed in each rear lenses assembly are two P21/5 , LR part # 264590 dual filament bulbs, one of which serves as a combo tail light and brake light, (the upper one), and below that bulb, again the same P21/5 bulb, but with only one filament normally active, the 5 watt tail light filament. Also if say the brake light filament in the upper bulb burns out, then to my knowledge, the brake light function does not transfer to the lower bulb. You just do not have a brake light on that side. If would be interesting if that were so, and the 3 is so complicated, it would seem that it is indeed possible, but I do not think so. If someone knows it is otherwise, I would like knowing that but it has not been my experience here.

For the signal flasher, there is a P21 single filament bulb, LR part #264591 which is also the same bulb for the reverse and rear fog lamp.

The side marker bulbs are W3W bulbs, (573289) not the brighter W5W bulbs, (AFU4491), that look the same. If you install the hotter W5W bulbs in the side marker location, most likely the plastic will melt and that will be the last time you ever change that bulb as it will have melted in solid. Guess how I know? It happened as Land Rover was packaging the W5W bulbs in W3W part number bags and unless you read the fine print etched into the glass, well ....

If after replacing the bulbs, the message display starts to show that you have transmission problems or any number of other maladies, do not get excited - it is probably just a bulb problem at the rear. It is suggested that you use genuine Land Rover bulbs as for some reason, aftermarket bulbs can display as transmission problems, not tail light problems.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #78764519th Apr 2011 4:04 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: brake light bulbs

jm105845 wrote:
.. am i right in saying that there there 2 bulbs per side and only 1 works
at any time and 2nd 1 works when 1st one has blown.jj

You're right in saying there are two (identical) bulbs each side and they are wired so as only the top one works as a stop light whereas all four work as tail lights, but you need to physically swap them over for the second one to work if the top one blows because only the top ones are actually wired for the stop light.

Look at it as some built-in spares Thumbs Up
 Clive

Post #78779219th Apr 2011 10:36 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
"Spare" brake light bulb?

[quote="crwoody"]
jm105845 wrote:
You're right in saying there are two (identical) bulbs each side and they are wired so as only the top one works as a stop light whereas all four work as tail lights, but you need to physically swap them over for the second one to work if the top one blows because only the top ones are actually wired for the stop light. Look at it as some built-in spares Thumbs Up

Actually I used to do that - swap an upper burned out brake light filament bulb with a good lower one until one day it occurred to me that maybe I was getting too smart for myself and the cost could be high.

As best I can determine, the false tranny or whatever problems that the message centre can display probably result from the burned out filament falling on to the good filament and creating a short of sorts that the monitoring systems pick up upon. Not only are false trouble messages sent, but sometimes the computers believes their own stories and put the 3 into limp mode.

As such, I started throwing away the half good bulbs and watching things very carefully for a while every time I do a bulb change.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #78779519th Apr 2011 10:58 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I agree it's not always the best idea to re-use "semi faulty" parts, specially for the modest cost of a new bulb, I would regard it merely as an emergency "get you home" solution.

The issue of the broken stop light filament creating transmission faults relates, to the best of my knowledge, to getting a live feed back up the brake light circuit from the tail light feed, since the lower rear light connector is only wired for the tail light, this should not be a problem.
(but I'm always open to being corrected Wink )
 Clive

Post #78779919th Apr 2011 11:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >