Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Brake Servo Recall Not Effective?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
truckerdan155

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Update guys just spoke to my local Land Rover dealer, and was told the job was done May last year all though it has never been to a local dealer to have any recalls done ? Since my dads owned the vehicle, the main dealer said they would look into it further where the work was done all though I know it was never took for a recall may last year, I was also told as the recall has already been done and the vehicle was out of warranty I’d need to pay for the repair, do you guys think I can still get this done under a recall as I’ve seen a couple of people have got this fixed more than once

Here is the screen grab from main dealer showing the works were completed

Post #193635514th Apr 2018 10:25 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

There was a modification to P017 referenced in this thread:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/important-r...p;start=30

It's a lottery as to whether LR will contribute - but there is evidence that the work undertaken at recall has not been effective for a number of vehicles.

If you do a forum search for the terms "servo" and "P017" you'll find lots to read. There were instances where, post recall, details were provided to VOSA (now DVSA), which led to LR reluctantly paying for the work to be done a second time.

There's evidence that if the original recall wasn't done effectively (i.e. the servo wasn't checked for oil properly) then the intermediate repair would prove ineffective. The original recall was:

Check servo for oil. If found, replace servo and pipework. If none found, replace pipework only.

As you see, if the dealer missed the oil contamination and replaced pipework, ticked the box, then there's still the risk of later failure.[/i]
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #193635714th Apr 2018 10:29 am
truckerdan155

Thanks for the reply I’ll have a look through the threads you’ve posted, I probably sound stupid but is the vacuum pump and the servo the same thing ?

Post #193635914th Apr 2018 10:36 am
Sydney

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine had the recall done and had failed again. LR did replace the pipework and servo for free after a bit of chasing with the LR rep on here.
 De-Tango
V8 Brakes
EGRs blanked
Running boards
3 flash indicators and clock on dash
Blingy grille... 

Post #193636214th Apr 2018 10:42 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

truckerdan155 wrote:
Thanks for the reply I’ll have a look through the threads you’ve posted, I probably sound stupid but is the vacuum pump and the servo the same thing ?

Vacuum pump provides the vacuum for the servo. The pipework mod is meant to provide a return route/trap for any oil leakage, but if oil from the vac pump has already contaminated the servo then game over for the servo and no amount of pipe modification will stop it deteriorating further.

There's a parts diagram here that gives an idea of how the pump, servo (booster) and pipework is routed.

https://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/lr3.../page_569/
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #193636514th Apr 2018 10:45 am
truckerdan155

Sydney wrote:
Mine had the recall done and had failed again. LR did replace the pipework and servo for free after a bit of chasing with the LR rep on here.

Ok so it’s been done more than once to a vehicle, that’s good to hear who is the rep you speak of, is he still active on the forum by any chance ?

Post #193637514th Apr 2018 11:18 am
truckerdan155

NoDo$h wrote:
truckerdan155 wrote:

Vacuum pump provides the vacuum for the servo. The pipework mod is meant to provide a return route/trap for any oil leakage, but if oil from the vac pump has already contaminated the servo then game over for the servo and no amount of pipe modification will stop it deteriorating further.

There's a parts diagram here that gives an idea of how the pump, servo (booster) and pipework is routed.

https://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/lr3.../page_569/

Thanks again I’ll have a look, I presume if the vacuum pump is leaking oil then the whole thing is contaminated, so the recall didn’t fix the problem.

Post #193637714th Apr 2018 11:20 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

That's the gist of it Thumbs Up
Post #193638014th Apr 2018 11:25 am
truckerdan155

Ok thanks for the help guys I think I’ll give Land Rover a call on Monday and see what they say, and as I was saying it’s strange the main dealership are saying the recall was done last May but not with them but with another main dealership which is strange as we’ve on ever used the one dealership. The main dealership we use is going to look in to that for us though and call me back on Monday.

Post #193638414th Apr 2018 11:37 am
Redline

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

If you are 100 % certain that the car was nowhere near a dealer last May, i’d advise them to carefully check the records of not just your car but others that were in at the same time. It sounds like either a clerical error or worse.
 Current : Discovery 4 HSE (2012 spec)
Current : BMW Z4 20i MSport
Current : BWM Z4 3.0SI Sport Auto
Previous : Freelander 2 HSE 

Post #193641814th Apr 2018 2:00 pm
truckerdan155

Absolutely positive, the only work it had done last year was the electric hand brake and crossover pipes which involved the body being taken off Shocked these were done at a local independent and not a main dealership

Post #193642214th Apr 2018 2:20 pm
Redline

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

The dealer or LR need to tell you where it was done and then ask them for their booking records to show your Reg being booked in and the job sheet on that date.
Then ratchet up the noise on several levels - your car specifically and their recall records.
If that isn’t correct what about other recalls?
 Current : Discovery 4 HSE (2012 spec)
Current : BMW Z4 20i MSport
Current : BWM Z4 3.0SI Sport Auto
Previous : Freelander 2 HSE 

Post #193645614th Apr 2018 4:49 pm
truckerdan155

They’re trying to find out where it was done,all though I know it wasn’t done on that date, I’ll ask for proof it was done on that date, the service department at the main dealer mentioned that the date it’s been shown as being done could be a clerical error, even so if they can’t prove it’s been done I’ll be pushing for Land Rover to do the right thing. I’m not to sure about other recall records I’m thinking if it was done by whoever, they must’ve entered the wrong date ? I can’t think of any other reason. I’d hate to think Land Rover would falsify records but can’t see it myself.

Post #193650714th Apr 2018 8:43 pm
truckerdan155

Quick update I’ve phoned Land Rover customer care this morning asking for booking records for when theyre saying the job was done, I was told they don’t have the same systems are main dealers, so they wouldn’t be able to look them up, and basically to wait for the main dealer to get back to me, does anyone know if the Land Rover rep that helped with this matter before is still active on this forum as I feel like Land Rover are fobbing me off at the moment.

Post #193687616th Apr 2018 11:16 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

They have replaced a quite helpful person as a LR rep, with someone who hasn’t the foggiest about Customer care Whistle
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #193691516th Apr 2018 12:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >