Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Brakes or suspension?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gi

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Brakes or suspension?

Applying the brakes downhill at very low speed (walking pace) calls a radical judder on my front left wheel (reproducible)

AND

the same wheel produces a kind of sound as if it were loose-fitting in right-hand bends!
Brakes or supsension? Any advise Confused ?

Gi
 ...this is an Italian, living in Switzerland, trying to speak English...!  
Post #13012515th Feb 2007 12:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

loose wheel nuts? Shocked

Post #13031715th Feb 2007 10:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

wheel out of balance?
 The End  
Post #13032215th Feb 2007 11:00 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

10forcash wrote:
loose wheel nuts? Shocked

Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #13033615th Feb 2007 11:18 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

What kind of surface? If you are sliding faster downhill than your wheels are turning, you are triggering one of the braking systems (could be ABS or DSC or Traction Control or all three)

Post #13036816th Feb 2007 12:31 am
Gi

... no way: All my nuts are tight ( Embarassed ) and the surfaces were all concrete or asphalt >>> you know, living in Switzerland and driving such a car is not easy these days... aside from the discussion about 'energielabels for cars' Shocked and projects to increase taxes for heavy weights, they are closing every 'funny' road... we're doomed to cruise on very Swiss polished surfaces

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
Post #13039516th Feb 2007 7:34 am
CJS

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I had a similar problem at the rear. It sounded similar to a flat tyre at times and only at very low speed. I telephoned my dealer and he said check the wheel nuts but all were fine. He was concerned and asked me to drop by. After waiting an hour he fixed it. It was a parking brake shoe. I understand there is a cover on the shoe and this was slipping off and getting trapped. Dealer said he has seen a lot of them go like this and it can lead to a wheel seizing up if left! If it is this it is easy and quick to fix.

Post #13289524th Feb 2007 7:32 pm
Gi

CJS wrote:
I had a similar problem at the rear. It sounded similar to a flat tyre at times and only at very low speed. I telephoned my dealer and he said check the wheel nuts but all were fine. He was concerned and asked me to drop by. After waiting an hour he fixed it. It was a parking brake shoe. I understand there is a cover on the shoe and this was slipping off and getting trapped. Dealer said he has seen a lot of them go like this and it can lead to a wheel seizing up if left! If it is this it is easy and quick to fix.

Shocked Shocked Shocked ... monday 07:00 I will wait in front of dealer's garage to let the 'detail' be checked!
Thanks-a-lot CJS
Gi
Post #1345402nd Mar 2007 8:56 am
hmarais

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

I had a problem with the left front wheel braking at low speed. The problem was the DSC system that went bonkers and had to be reset. Test if this is the cause by switching off DSC - my problem disappeared when switched off. Good luck!
 Only 18% of the roads in Southern Africa are tarred, the rest is Land Rover Country. Or GS country.  
Post #14241923rd Mar 2007 10:37 pm
Gi

... a pound's worth Rolling Eyes .
Thanks HMARAIS!
Gi
Post #14306726th Mar 2007 10:49 am
hmarais

One more thing....I missed the part about the problem when your are going around a bend. I had similar problems with a suspension fault light going on as soon as I was going around a bend. It was the steering angle sensor and ECU that was not correctly calibrated. It feeds a signal into the DSC system, and can cause one or more wheels on ONE side to start breaking. In my case, the dealer had to re-callibrate the steering angle sensor. It works in conjunction with the body control unit (also an ECU that is sitting somewhere) that measures the yaw angle of the vehicle (the rate at which it is turning around its vertical axis through its centre of gravity - see write-ups on aircraft) When the steering angle and the yaw rate is not in synch, the DSC computer calculates that the vehicle is either oversteering (back swinging out = yaw rate higher than indicated by steering angle sensor) or understeering (nose pushing wide= yaw rate less than steering angle sensor.) The DSC then tries to correct the problem by applying brakes to one side of the vehicle to get it to go through the corner in a civilised manner (that is with the nose in front, the back at the back and the driver thinking he is in control). If your steering ange sensor (it sits on the steering column just above the firewall) is out of calibration, the vehicle senses that something is out of synch, and can start to brake on one wheel in a straight line. The braking is intermittend on that one wheel, (mine was the front left wheel) which gives a "shudder" to the car. Because the ECUs are interlinked, it can also cause the suspension to sense that something is amiss and registers the dreaded "suspension fault" warning.
 Only 18% of the roads in Southern Africa are tarred, the rest is Land Rover Country. Or GS country.  
Post #14307926th Mar 2007 11:48 am
Gi

I am worried to death Shocked
Do you think I should take a walk home tonight....?

But: Hats off for your detailed knowledge about your left front wheel!
And, thank you again
Gi
Post #14312226th Mar 2007 3:26 pm
hmarais

I would not be too worried, as it is not a safety critical thing as long as you take it easy, especially on slippery roads where one would welcome the DSC. Wink Just switch out the DSC with the button on the dash when you start of, make sure he HDC is NOT switched on until the agent can re-calibrate the sensors and reset the error messages.
How do I know all this? Crying or Very sad I bought an insurance write-off that we rebuilded, in the process we took out the whole interior including the dash, stripped the front of the body to the chassis, removed the engine, replaced the front suspension etc. The mechanicals and body was easy, we are still batling with the electronics on the suspension, the dealer can't get it to calibrate the height sensors, as the diagnostic computer picks up that some of the ECUs are not communicating, but it does not say which ones. Big Cry
Post #14336327th Mar 2007 9:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >