Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Bringing My D3 Back to Tip Top Condition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dixie Dean

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Bringing My D3 Back to Tip Top Condition

Hi everyone. My D3 has done 125K now. It's had its big service done and the oil pump and tensioner were changed.

The gearbox was rebuilt last year due to me not changing the oil in it, having been completely taking in by LRs sealed for life nonsense. Sadly, it's back under warranty at the moment with the TC having failed again, but that's another story.

I'm not sure I want to spend 45K on getting a very low mileage D4, and my wife simply doesn't want a second hand car!

So this leaves me to think that in order to ensure my (57 year) D3 gets to 250K that I should get the chassis and underside of my D3 cleaned up and preserved, including the under body areas.

What do you guys out there think I should have done, how much would it cost, and who might do it?

What else might I consider doing, parts wise to improve it for longevity?

Thanks, all.
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather, towing a Coachman VIP 575  
Post #196910330th Jul 2018 8:44 pm
Marmoset

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Thinking mine could do with some preservation treatment soon, now on 127k with no rebuilds required as yet but thinking it needs new suspension, brake lines and rustproofing. Like yourself I can’t justify the jump in value to buy a newer D4.

Not sure of the costs to rustproof but it’d probably be a body off job to do it properly.
 2011 D4 SDV6 HSE
2008 D3 TDV6 HSE
2005 D3 V8 SE - left in Oz.. 

Post #196913430th Jul 2018 9:54 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Bringing My D3 Back to Tip Top Condition

Dixie Dean wrote:
Hi everyone. My D3 has done 125K now. It's had its big service done and the oil pump and tensioner were changed.

The gearbox was rebuilt last year due to me not changing the oil in it, having been completely taking in by LRs sealed for life nonsense. Sadly, it's back under warranty at the moment with the TC having failed again, but that's another story.

I'm not sure I want to spend 45K on getting a very low mileage D4, and my wife simply doesn't want a second hand car!

So this leaves me to think that in order to ensure my (57 year) D3 gets to 250K that I should get the chassis and underside of my D3 cleaned up and preserved, including the under body areas.

What do you guys out there think I should have done, how much would it cost, and who might do it?

What else might I consider doing, parts wise to improve it for longevity?

Thanks, all.

I to didn't upgrade to a D4 and probably won't upgrade to a D5 either. My old bus does everything i need it to do Thumbs Up Just use it and maintain it well but don't go OTT. Mine is used for what it was designed for, looked after well mechanically but receives no special attention other than that. At 225k miles it is the most stupidly reliable car.

Also bear in mind its 11 years old and will soon be banned from most cities etc. I'm just running mine until its banned. It owes me nothing.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #196914130th Jul 2018 10:08 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I’m almost back on the road after a body off rebuild. One word in rust treatment and prevention. Dinitrol.
There are kits on eBay, ideally a medium sized kit and then buy a few cans of the stone chip they do also. If there’s a lot of rust about the 1 can of spray on rust converter won’t be enough. While I had the body off to repair the cross over pipe I went through the whole car as much as I could. Done all the upper suspension arms, anti roll bar links and bushes etc. Also on the list were the brake pipes and air con pipe seals. I’ve got a thread detailing it all.
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/discomadnes...37518.html
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #196914530th Jul 2018 10:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dixie Dean

Thanks guys.

I've had a read through Bodsy's rebuild of his engine, when he also sorted out the underside and chassis: https://disco3.co.uk/forum/new-engine-time-169069-30.html

Discomadness what do you think the de-mounting of the body and cleaning the underside and chassis up elements cost you approximately, not considering any parts you had to replace?
Post #196914830th Jul 2018 10:27 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

How do you mean cost me ? If you mean materials... the dinitrol kit was £150 ish. It needs a compressor to use which I already had and a 2 post ramp which I bought last year second hand for £500. To be honest you don’t need tons of tools. It’s frighteningly easy to take apart ! Cleaning wise I only used a wire hand brush, a wire cup brush on a 4” angle grinder and some scrapers.

If you mean labour wise. I’d hate to try and put a figure on it. I will probably try and do some sort of hypothetical costing once I finish. Hope that helps, anything specific you want to know give me a shout.
To be honest this forum has been invaluable doing the jobs I’ve done and particularly forum member gstuart who has spent I don’t know how many hours researching, searching, linking, finding and all sorts of other help which again I couldn’t think of how to put a price on.
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #196916430th Jul 2018 11:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dixie Dean

All the effort that gstuart has put in didn't go unnoticed by me either - top guy, assisting you like that.

Bodsy did a break down for me as well and for his rebuild he reckoned it would be about £1K to 1.2K to dismantle, clean and paint and reassemble the car, including labour. I could do the cleaning and painting, but wouldn't be much help on the dismantling and re-assembly.

I'm really undecided as to whether to do up my existing car, which I've looked after and is very tidy, or to get a very low mileage D4 (there's a few around with 10/15K miles from £33 to £46K, depending on age and model, HSE, HES Lux or Landmark). The wife really wouldn't want a second hand car (no dogs/puking kids etc), but we looked at the D5 and the back of it is just too small for all the stuff we take caravanning.

Even if I bought a D4, I think it would be prudent to do the same thing in order to make it last at least 15 years, which would mean I would be 80 years old! By then my touring days would be coming to an end I suspect.
Post #196919631st Jul 2018 7:53 am
Dixie Dean

Of course, another possibility is the new Defender! Will the engine be big enough though. 2.0 is really not enough for towing our 1.8t van.
Post #196920331st Jul 2018 8:19 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

As some companies say: “make informed purchasing decisions on current capabilities and features, not on future roadmap which might not materialize”

Post #196920631st Jul 2018 8:28 am

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Good luck man. Enjoy the process !

Post #196947931st Jul 2018 8:45 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Discomadness wrote:
How do you mean cost me ? If you mean materials... the dinitrol kit was £150 ish. It needs a compressor to use which I already had and a 2 post ramp which I bought last year second hand for £500. To be honest you don’t need tons of tools. It’s frighteningly easy to take apart ! Cleaning wise I only used a wire hand brush, a wire cup brush on a 4” angle grinder and some scrapers.

If you mean labour wise. I’d hate to try and put a figure on it. I will probably try and do some sort of hypothetical costing once I finish. Hope that helps, anything specific you want to know give me a shout.
To be honest this forum has been invaluable doing the jobs I’ve done and particularly forum member gstuart who has spent I don’t know how many hours researching, searching, linking, finding and all sorts of other help which again I couldn’t think of how to put a price on.

Ah shucks , I won’t be able to squeeze ma head through the door Rolling with laughter

Thks though buddy for the complement Thumbs Up

Post #196949131st Jul 2018 9:24 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Dixie Dean wrote:
All the effort that gstuart has put in didn't go unnoticed by me either - top guy, assisting you like that.

Bodsy did a break down for me as well and for his rebuild he reckoned it would be about £1K to 1.2K to dismantle, clean and paint and reassemble the car, including labour. I could do the cleaning and painting, but wouldn't be much help on the dismantling and re-assembly.

I'm really undecided as to whether to do up my existing car, which I've looked after and is very tidy, or to get a very low mileage D4 (there's a few around with 10/15K miles from £33 to £46K, depending on age and model, HSE, HES Lux or Landmark). The wife really wouldn't want a second hand car (no dogs/puking kids etc), but we looked at the D5 and the back of it is just too small for all the stuff we take caravanning.

Even if I bought a D4, I think it would be prudent to do the same thing in order to make it last at least 15 years, which would mean I would be 80 years old! By then my touring days would be coming to an end I suspect.

Thumbs Up , thks, plus will it be 2 x doughnuts for finding bits, Rolling with laughter

Was laid up with my back so gave me something to do and always nice giving something back to the forum Thumbs Up

I’ve virtually torn my apart over the last year and wish to keep it as long as possible

Saw a D5 the other week in the showroom and being totally honest not keen, over time I may step up into a D4 , but alas there’s nothing I really like after the D4

Last edited by gstuart on 8th Aug 2018 9:04 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #196949331st Jul 2018 9:28 pm
Disco Dusty

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Underseal treatment

Im looking into Flatdogs service to clean and treat for under £500 squid using dintrol. They do it for all models and as far as i can tell there is fairly good after warranty with it.....
 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 2.7 S
2001 Discovery 2 TD5
2002 Shogun Sport 2.5TD 

Post #19717778th Aug 2018 8:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >