Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

British Airways Strike
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
JMC

Scotland 

DG wrote:
people bashing and individual me me me me me I'm alright jack pull the ladder up work slaves work pay peanuts and give sh.itty lives to everyone else mentality that haunts this place.

A bit harsh to say the least DG. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps you should sell the D3 and put the money into paying for the cabin staffs 'entitlements' when they get sacked as a measure of your solidarity. I can't say that I've ever seen much fat-cat/slaves culture from people on here. In fact, most of the folks on here could give a lesson in work ethics to ALL the BA staff from top to bottom.

Personally, I'd sack the whole lot of them - bosses and staff - and let the rest of the market sort itself out.

Just to give a different opinion.......... Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #56551215th Dec 2009 5:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

That's bit harsh John ...as I was being tongue in cheek and ironic. Ner Ner

Where is the hand flies over the balding head icon when you need it eh Wink

I fly Virgin ...although they ain't much better either Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #56551615th Dec 2009 5:49 pm
nobbyclark

I'm a BA regular and indulge in their free Bollinger on a weekly basis in T5. But next week I am using BMI as I don't want to be stuck in Heathrow for Christmas. I doubt the stoppage will go ahead but the uncertainty caused by the "12 strike days of Christmas" will cause BA a lot of bad press and lost revenue.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #56618716th Dec 2009 10:47 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

I thought I was flying to Boston 3 days after Christmas. Now I think I'm not.

I read Willy Walsh's press release and sided with 'the man'. I read some other reports that gave the other side of the story and now I just don't know.

I'm awaiting a text or email from BA telling me my flight is cancelled. If that's what happenes then so be it. I was only going to visit a few friends anyway, it can easily be put off to next year. I'll spend the refund and the spare time fitting 'things' to my D3.

In the future, I think I'll go back to flying with Virgin Atlantic. But no guarantee, I'm pretty fickle. I'll probably choose the cheapest fare, just like I did this time round.

Post #56619916th Dec 2009 11:08 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Good job the morals of all the other airlines have sought to ensure only the lowest triple priced flights are left available though eh Wink Capitalism and extortion at it's best Bow down
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #56620416th Dec 2009 11:12 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Well I'm sure you could do your job for less money than you're currently paid Rich Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #56623116th Dec 2009 11:36 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Is that Mr. No "I'll rape the public taxpayers purse...but hey who gives a feck and serves them all right for being as thick as dog Censored because they can't write posh words " Do$h speaking. Rolling with laughter
Post #56624116th Dec 2009 11:43 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

The last 5 weeks have included four flights with BA and two with RyanAir, on similar journeys. I simply don't fit within RyanAir's seat pitch these days (and as it's knee room I'm talking about, that's their changes, not mine!), and for the extra travel time vs small extra cost I shall be sticking with BA for now (OK, LHR's convenience for me vs Stansted is not RyanAir's fault, but 20 mins from Stockholm Arlanda to the city centre on the train vs 1h30 on the coach from the "Stockholm" airport that RyanAir use clearly is!)

That said, BA's cabin service is definitely not what it was, even five years ago. Friday night's flight out left at 6.30pm and I didn't even get offered a bag of "savoury snacks", let alone a meal. If they try to cut costs further, especially by trying to ram more seats in, then I really don't see people sticking with them...

Post #56624716th Dec 2009 11:50 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Nope. It's Mr "The Taxpayer has been funding a massively inefficient pension scheme for years and I returned cost savings equal to roughly 20x my fee in the 9 months I worked on improving some of their processes" Do$h speaking. And I'm not the one posturing about evil capitalism while enjoying the materials pleasures of the same Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #56624816th Dec 2009 11:51 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Shocked Yes those damn government actuarys haven't got a clue what they are doing eh Laughing I just hope that people can afford to live off the pension you leave them with Al Laughing

As for my view on capitalism ...yeah its generally healthy for the small business man I guess...I do hate big business greed though.

Just because I earn a reasonable salary doesn't mean that I can't support others in their fight to improve theirs. I guess that's the difference between us eh Wink Oh and BTW ...LR didn't charge me 3 x the cost of a D3 just because their rivals were having a hard time Whistle
Post #56625517th Dec 2009 12:06 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Actuaries have got nothing to do with operational inefficiencies. And the last actuaries to report to government on the requirements for funding were ignored. Rolling Eyes

I have no guilty conscience when it comes to helping others Rich. I spend time and effort with the homeless, fund raise for a local hospice, do my bit for the armed forces charities and give up several weekends each year for small fund-raising endeavours when I have little enough spare time. And you've got something in your eye again Laughing

The LR/Competitor analogy doesn't hold water. There is a finite number of seats on any given route on any given day. Not quite the same with vehicle supply and demand. But then you're aware of that
Post #56625817th Dec 2009 12:22 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

All very admirable Al and you should be genuinely applauded for your efforts...and on that level of humanity we can stand side by side Bow down

Not actually quite true about the flights as other airlines will be able to buy vacated BA slots and shift flying stock from lesser filled routes Okapi ...for the good of the hard done by public they could have just sold them at reasonable prices on a first come first serve basis though eh ...but no ....they are greedy c Censored s ....who will still pay their staff the same s Censored ty wage Thumbs Up
Post #56626217th Dec 2009 12:46 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

They won't be able to buy the slots for that 12 day period - that's months of work and negotiations to make that kind of change.

No fan of the airlines myself; a very powerful self-interest lobby group that have a market utterly skewed in their favour. But equally not a great admirer of pyrrhic victories, with the "generals" of the unions bringing the demise of the airline that bit closer, with all the associated job losses that will ensue. Who'd be a negotiator, heh?
Post #56626717th Dec 2009 1:00 am
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

NoDo$h wrote:
Actuaries have got nothing to do with operational inefficiencies. And the last actuaries to report to government on the requirements for funding were ignored. Rolling Eyes

I have no guilty conscience when it comes to helping others Rich. I spend time and effort with the homeless, fund raise for a local hospice, do my bit for the armed forces charities and give up several weekends each year for small fund-raising endeavours when I have little enough spare time.

Fook me Al! Ive always had you down as a bit of a c Censored I take it all back Laughing
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #56626817th Dec 2009 1:10 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

No, I'm a c Censored t alright Thumbs Up
Post #56627017th Dec 2009 1:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >