Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

Bus lane fine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Mikeyb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Just be aware

"The function of civil law is to provide a legal remedy to solve problems. ... Under this system, every defendant who enters a criminal trial is presumed guilty until proven innocent, whereas under common law (practiced in most English-speaking countries) he or she is presumed innocent until proven guilty"

Sad
 Not such a Disco Newbie now!
IID BT 

Post #18983856th Jan 2018 7:45 pm
Jubbly

United Kingdom 

Still no matter what, the OP was not the owner of the car at the time of the fine, so therefore can't be made to pay it.

Parking companies just want the fine paid and will use strong arm tactics, just send them a copy of the receipt and let them deal with the previous owner.
 Jaguar I-Pace HSE imminent.
Gone HSE with Flappy Paddles. IID BT tool. RLD Spare Protector, Altox GPS.

Post #18985637th Jan 2018 10:37 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

[quote="geoffsnook"]Agree 100% with narpy give them what you have then let them prove you were the owner on given date as you can prove you were not with the receipt you have Thumbs Up[/quote

I also agree with you and Narpy, re-reading the last letter from them they may have accepted the copy of the V5 slip as evidence that I was not the owner at the time the offence was committed, (it is written in legal terminology), but they still claim I am liable for the fine if I don't supply the full name and address of the previous owner, I feel that I am being blackmailed into "shopping" the previous owner when they(Essex Council) as professional people have full facilities to obtain this information direct from DVLA, but it appears they have to pay a fee and would rather harass me for the information.
The big question is do I have to provide this information by law?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18986097th Jan 2018 12:23 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I would tactfully suggest they pursue their quest with the DVLA as current owner it is not your obligation to provide any more information than you have done regardless of what they insist.

The DVLA are not the Vehicle Licensing Authority for no reason. Essex council appear to have you down as
guilty by association which is just ridiculous. Rolling Eyes
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #18986257th Jan 2018 12:55 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

A copy and paste extract relating to bus lane offences that the council have jurisdiction over that might interest you.

iv) You did not own the vehicle when the alleged contravention occurred

For example:

you never owned it
you sold it before or bought it after the date of the contravention. You must say what you know about the transaction including the new or former owner's name and address, if known
it was under a long-term leasing arrangement that transfers ‘keepership’ from the registered keeper to the hirer.
(v) The vehicle was taken without the owner’s consent

This ground covers stolen vehicles and vehicles used without the owner's consent. It could apply, for example, to a vehicle taken by ‘joyriders’. It does not generally apply to vehicles in the care of a garage or borrowed by a relative or friend. If possible, you should supply a crime reference number from the police.

Post #18986287th Jan 2018 1:06 pm
thetobymac

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

Depends if you can be bothered with the hassle.. i would tell them they need to contact DVLA and take them on...b

Post #18987427th Jan 2018 6:23 pm
XXV

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Reply to the Council with the receipt off the V5 advising you were not the owner at the time of the offence.
Also advise them that you will charge them £100hr (or whatever your hourly rate is / want to be) for all the time and costs (postal or otherwise) that you will use to "defend" yourself against their false claim and pursuit of the money. Further advise them... that unless they due diligence on there part to contact DVLA to ascertain ownership (Not your responsibility) that you will launch a small claims action and take them to court.

Keep a record of every call,letter and every minute of time spent on your defence and take the muppets to court. ( It's a lot easier than you think and common sense will prevail in your favour).

the law is there to protect everyone...and mind ask for your time at court in front of the judge to be allocated to your claim.

Best of luck

Post #190534023rd Jan 2018 10:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >