DISCO4.COM > General

Buy or wait ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
crasha

United Kingdom 
Buy or wait ?

Hello,

I have been reading this forum with interest for some time trying to figure out if the Discovery 3 is as good as it looks and to see what problems people are having. It is a hugely informative site, thanks!

I have owned 5 Discovery II vehicles none of which had any major problems, one had a new gearbox fitted within 24 hours of me saying the gear change was a bit notchy to the dealer so I cannot complain at all. I tried a 300Tdi, a 3.9V8 then a TD5 then a 4.0 V8 all of which were good to own. However I am aware that many did not have such a good experience with Discovery IIs.

For 4 years I have had a Defender 110 CSW 2000W reg, 24500 miles with all the toys and I do take it greenlaning regularly, great fun to drive and own but it's not exactly comfortable for longer journeys hence the low mileage for the age. I am thinking of selling this along with my 2004 Audi Allroad (which has been perfect mechanically, costs much less to service than my defender and only every 20k, no air suspension problems, no errors no pings no faults nothing to report, it just works, this has been an amazing long distance car returning 35mpg at 80mph+).

I need a big car to take people, bikes, sailing gear etc on regular long journeys. I am not too bothered by handling but am impressed by effortless, quiet, safe and comfortable cruising at 80mph. Around 30mpg would be welcome. . . although if the TDV6 returns less than 25mpg I would be tempted by the V8!?

So should I sell both and get an LR3 soon, wait until the Discovery 3 settles down and the initial problems people are having are fixed, or keep with my current combination (however ideally I don't need 2 cars!).

Comments welcome, thanks in advance.

Andy
SW London (plus all the byways in Surrey which I would not recommend for a Discovery 3 unless you want a thousand scratches down each side!)

Post #2489825th Oct 2005 10:34 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I am very pleased with mine, still feels really good after almost a year. I am a bit disapointed with 25 mpg - but mine is auto, and I do thrash it around a bit.

I have had a few issues early on with suspenson, but hopefully thats all a distant memory now. It has 27000 on it and I do take it off-road regularly.

As a day to day tool, it is unbeatable. It will do whatever you want - and some!

It turns heads wherever it goes, the school kids always have a second glance in the morning.

I would do the same thing again - I would however make sure the dealer I got it from came highly recomended by members of
THIS forum. It has become obvious that this forum is the best concentration of knowledge regarding modern Land Rovers that you will find, indeed, in many cases we know more about the vehicle than our dealers do!

Post #2490125th Oct 2005 10:50 pm
BN

England 

If you read my items, read

'The D3 is a fantastic car with unbelievable ability. Together with a brilliant drive. There is nothing in the world to compare with the D3' I love the car, hate the manufacturer.

However Ford have a lot to answer for with their quaility control and Customer Services lack of liaison and communication.

Post #2490825th Oct 2005 11:00 pm
crasha

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your replies.

Gareth - My local dealer is Guy Salmon in Thames Ditton, SW London. They have a number of used models and I might insist on an extended loan of the actual vehicle I am interested in. I tend to buy used but fairly new.

BN - I read your open letter with great interest. I get the impression when they work they are fabulous vehicles, but some people are having extended problems which Land Rover and their dealers are not always focussed on or able to fix. I hope you get your issues fixed soon.

25mpg seems ok for the size/weight of vehicle esp auto. By comparison my Audi Allroad can get to low 20's in city traffic but that jumps up to 30+ average very quickly once on open roads, as long as you are not stop start 30+ is easy. I assume the LR3 V8 is late teens or early 20s if you are gentle.

Thanks again for your responses, great forum !

Andy

Post #2491425th Oct 2005 11:13 pm
chrism

Switzerland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi
I was in a v similar situation to you. I had a BMW 3 series and a 2003 110 Defender, but decided I needed something that was a combination of the two - the BMW was just too small (recently got a Great Dane puppy) and the Defender too tiring over long journeys. I was originally looking at diesel RRs but the dealer had a D3 V8 (ex-demo) which I had a try of and instantly liked (much more pratical and just as nice to drive). I borrowed it over the weekend and my fate was sealed. The dealers are struggling to shift the V8s so there's good deals to be had!
I've only had the D3 about 6 weeks but its been great so far - only small problem has been a misleading low coolant warning.
As for the dreaded MPG - I reset the counter for the first time last weekend and have averaged 20.8 MPG since then with a complete mixture of driving.
As to whether I have done the right thing - only time will tell - but the signs so far are that I have! Very Happy

Post #2492026th Oct 2005 9:03 am
Jim

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I hope I am not tempting fate here Smile

I have a 2006 model year and have not had any issues at all yet, 100% trouble free ownership.

I know it is early days, but perhaps LR have ironed out a few of the issues that are apparent in many 2005 model year D3's
 Jim  
Post #2492126th Oct 2005 9:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
110CSW

United Kingdom 

No probs so far in 2.5k miles and one month.

Post #2507626th Oct 2005 11:20 pm
moose

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Had mine 8weeks now from new, 20k on the clock no problems with the car very good towing vehicle Very Happy

Post #2508327th Oct 2005 1:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hope you are all correct - have ordered a manual TDV6 SE in Cairns Blue on the 9th October. Added rear air con so will have to wait.

Hoping late November or early December!

Post #2508627th Oct 2005 6:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >