Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Buying an imported D4 5.0 V8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

You've got to really want one though. You can get an equivalent diesel D4 of a similar age for around half that price.

Post #233169229th Mar 2023 10:50 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I've been driving one of these (RHD 5.0L D4 2010MY) for a year now, bought it from Gardendisco who imported it and prepped all the compliance paperwork for me.

Really fine car, I'd had a few 4.4L V8 D3s, two of them LPG, wanted the silent pull of the 5.0L, freedom from legacy of salted roads, also freedom from some chronic D3 problems such as footwell flooding (the single biggest root cause of ALL D3 faults) and battery charging gremlins. I also insist on having a RHD car so USA imports don't cut it for me.

I'll try keep this now until such a thing as a decent affordable used 110 electric "New Defender" with CREDIBLE performance and range becomes a reality; I might be in my box by then.

Fuel consumption is slightly better than the 4.4L V8 - 18 or worse around town, 20 rural, 24 motorway cruising, back down to 20 fast-ish motorway (90mph). The single biggest fuel overhead is repeated heating up the block on short runs. Reckon the engine fan fluid coupling is much better on the 5.0L and this (surprisingly) is a significant MPG factor. Just a lovely effortless silent mover with bags of space.

The only thing I could wish for is manual transmission but I think those were NEVER made.

An LPG conversion remains tempting but I'll probably never do it, supply points are dwindling.

I had a hiccup insuring the car, Direct Line declared the model doesn't exist - I told them Tony Blair stepped out of one arriving at HMQ's funeral service but that didn't help. Yes, there are VERY few (RHD) in UK, and I THINK a small batch belong to HMG fitted with armour hence maybe the bigger engine to handle the weight.

I'm pretty sure mine is ULEZ-compliant, ask if you're interested and I'll dig out the V5; DVLA website doesn't reveal.

Happy miles Smile))

Post #23321333rd Apr 2023 2:38 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Both still around.

Wife has said I can have a D4 5.0L , so have been looking ......I think whilst I'm doing the mileage I will keep the Volvo but I am missing a V8.

Post #233670216th May 2023 10:50 am
Disc'O'Dog

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Only just seen this post so thought ide add my 10 cent. I imported a late 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 from Japan last year through Torque GT using their personal import service. Extremely happy with it, zero rust anywhere, immaculate condition, low miles for the age, ended up getting the timing chains done for piece of mind but she runs buttery smooth with plenty of grunt, love it.

Only see positives of owning an import so far, cheaper tax, lack of rust and generally higher spec'd than UK cars and very clean. The whole import process was quite fun and absolutely seamless, can't recommend Torque GT enough if you're thinking about importing something, their team are absolutely great.

Only slightly tricky part was insurance, as the 5.0 V8 doesn't exist on any of the UK databases so go compare and the majority of other insurers won't insure it. Ended up sticking with Adrian Flux who ive been with forever who insured it no problem, just limited to who will insure it.

Hope someone finds this useful Thumbs Up

Post #236161110th Feb 2024 3:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >