DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Cambelt change needed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Cambelt change needed?

GDM wrote:
I am thinking of buying a 2007 Commercial.
It has a full service history and had the cambelts changed in August 2014 at 69,000 miles. It has now done 112,000 miles, so is it due another change yet? What is a typical cost of having the belts done?

Many thanks.

Glen.

not due yet you have another year to go or 50000mls Thumbs Up save your money it might eat the crank before then Rolling with laughter
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #219027529th Nov 2020 2:19 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

ALWAYS do the pump, regardless of the type with such a mileage (unless it is a proven fresh one)
And ALWAYS put on a new belt, AND rollers, AND tensioners every 7 years, regardless of what a manufacturer says (regarding age if longer)they are not pay for it if it breaks, never.... it is not that expensive, fore sure in relation to a write-off or replacement engine..

Just MHO

I had once a broken belt on a Subaru... rather new belt... turned out, a bearing of a roller seized... they did not change them with the belt..
Bottomline, you never know what they really did in the past... even if a belt is signed off in the service book...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Last edited by Motolab on 29th Nov 2020 7:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #219027829th Nov 2020 2:31 pm
john ryan

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

And the bolts that hold these parts on.

Post #219033829th Nov 2020 7:33 pm
GDM

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Moo wrote:
Personally I wouldn't fret about the crankshaft. Any car you buy can implode for one reason or another. They all have faults. Life is too short to worry.

Have a look at this: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/sale-2013-d...92055.html

The D4 is a much nicer place to be than a D3 and I love both. Thumbs Up

I will definitely be avoiding the 3.0 litre for reliability reasons, and also because I want a manual and the 3.0 litre only seems to available as an auto.

Post #219039029th Nov 2020 10:27 pm
GDM

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Motolab wrote:
ALWAYS do the pump, regardless of the type with such a mileage (unless it is a proven fresh one)
And ALWAYS put on a new belt, AND rollers, AND tensioners every 7 years, regardless of what a manufacturer says (regarding age if longer)they are not pay for it if it breaks, never.... it is not that expensive, fore sure in relation to a write-off or replacement engine..

Just MHO

I had once a broken belt on a Subaru... rather new belt... turned out, a bearing of a roller seized... they did not change them with the belt..
Bottomline, you never know what they really did in the past... even if a belt is signed off in the service book...

I totally agree. Also why I need to get the car and do the work myself, or get a trusted garage to do it.

Post #219039129th Nov 2020 10:30 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

GDM wrote:
Moo wrote:
Personally I wouldn't fret about the crankshaft. Any car you buy can implode for one reason or another. They all have faults. Life is too short to worry.

Have a look at this: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/sale-2013-d...92055.html

The D4 is a much nicer place to be than a D3 and I love both. Thumbs Up

I will definitely be avoiding the 3.0 litre for reliability reasons, and also because I want a manual and the 3.0 litre only seems to available as an auto.

You're right the 3.0l D4 is only available in Auto. I ran a manual D3 for nearly 14 years from new and 232k miles. My 3.0 D4 is 8 speed with 142k on the clock.

I'm curious as to how you determine that the 2.7 is more reliable than the 3.0? Based on my experience of both, i'd buy the 3.0 D4 auto, which I decided to keep over buying a new Defender. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #219039729th Nov 2020 11:05 pm
GDM

Maybe not more reliable but possibly less prone to catastrophic engine failure. Who knows?

I think I am going to give up with the 07 one. I have been quoted £940 (+ VAT but not an issue as I can claim it back) to do all of the work and the sellers figures seem way too cheap, so that is putting me off too.

Back to searching again.

Post #21907791st Dec 2020 10:28 pm
Motolab

690 + VAT seems more appropriate
270 for a full kit: FoMoCo pump, dayco belt and rollers and 6 hour job calculated

Maybe incl spanners and aux belt, 100 more...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21907931st Dec 2020 11:10 pm
GDM

Harold,

Yes, £940 might be a little high and £690/£790 could be more like it but I know that this place does a good job.

I can get the bits from A. F. for £350 (Dayco belts and FoMoCo pump) but the seller says he can get all the genuine parts for £255 and the labour cost would only be £200, so at 6 hours labour that's just over £30 an hour, which seems unlikely, so I don't trust him to get it done properly. If I could find the time, I could do the work myself but the seller has now got the hump anyway, so time to look elsewhere.

Post #21907971st Dec 2020 11:26 pm
Motolab

270 is the ex VAT price at AF... they earn some money on that, so 255 is quite real... of your dealer takes this cost price...

Regarding Workinghours, it is their own workshop! If they take the profit off and just calculate pure costs.. 30 / h is quite reasonable....

Give it a second thought.. atleast to do not trust them is debatable imho..
 Best regards
Harold

Post #21908212nd Dec 2020 1:13 am
GDM

Well, I went to look at Andy's (Greenmole) D3 Commercial on Sunday, agreed to buy it and picked it up this evening. A very helpful and genuine chap and he has obviously looked after the car.

Post #219416616th Dec 2020 2:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >