Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

CAN WE NAME AND SHAME!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
g5imsd

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
CAN WE NAME AND SHAME!!

Yesterday i travelled around 200 miles to look at two Discovery 3 tdv6, the first was a silver HSE at thirsk which was on ebay and Autotrader, after speaking with the lady 3 times she was adamant the discovery was fault free, so i made the journey up there, after giving it a good check over it was test drive time, i started it up and it did'nt appear to rise so i waited a few minutes and nothing so i manually altered it to its highest setting to discover the orange warning light came on and the "Suspension malfunction" was displayed, it had a wheel wobble after 40mph and a slight gearbox noise!! So obviously i left that one and travelled to Scunthorpe to look at a 2005 Discovery tdv6 se with lots of extra's, now i was already hesitant at this one as the guy was selling it on behalf of someone else and the discovery was at someone else's house so things did'nt really stack up but i still went, the suspension was really slow at lifting especially the fronts, well i had to take it for a drive to get it to fully pump up. As soon as i had driven it a few hundred yards it was clear it had issues too, lots of knocking from bushes underneath but worst of all the auto gear box sounded awful higher in the gears! as soon as you touched the accelerator it made a loud humming noise as soon as you let of it was nice and quiet, the door had some deep scratches to but on the phone i was told everything was perfectly fine with no faults etc etc!! The cheery on the cake was after realising the trade section of log book was not there and digging and digging it turned out the guy was a trader but clearly was hiding something or he would be selling it his self!!! Its just very annoying that people waste our times rather than just been honest!!! I think if you have looked at a Discovery and found faults then surely its benificial to warn others to avoid so they dont waste a day of there life's too!!! The grey SE also had a DISCOVERY3.CO.UK sticker in the rear window. I will happily post pics of both the above Discoverys but just didnt want to get in trouble, so what are your views?? Thanks Paul

Post #187787610th Nov 2017 10:53 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

If second one was on autotrader I believe you can report it as being a dealer pretending otherwise.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #187788010th Nov 2017 10:59 am
g5imsd

It was on Facebook for sale, The silver one was on trader and ebay Sad just makes me mad that people lie!!

Post #187788310th Nov 2017 11:01 am
Hardware

And according to my phone, the website as you typed it isn't registered.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #187788410th Nov 2017 11:02 am
Discovery-Dave

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Not sure what Admin will think but personally I would of thought it would be beneficial to post picks of said vehicles for those who may be looking to buy, but who may not know what to look out for when looking at them.... As long as details are accurate etc.

Post #187788510th Nov 2017 11:03 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I don't think there is anything to gain by you 'naming and shaming' on this forum. These were private sales, and as always it's buyer beware.

Post #187789110th Nov 2017 11:16 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I think they do go quiet when you lift off the accelerator.

I'm not surprised a 2005 will be slow to rise

Traders have to provide warranty don't they, which is why they like a private sale

Post #187789610th Nov 2017 11:22 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This is a lesson I learned many years ago. It is not worth travelling long distances, at great expense to see second hand cars. Unless you are totally convinced by the seller, and the story, it's just not worth it.

Having said that, I did drive about 80 miles to see the Discovery I have now. Whistle

I've recently been looking at Caravans. The last 3 I've been to see (not more than 30 miles away) all promised to be in great condition, all 3 had serious damp issues!
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #187790010th Nov 2017 11:28 am
ebygum32

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
I don't think there is anything to gain by you 'naming and shaming' on this forum. These were private sales, and as always it's buyer beware.

Gareth

Would it be ok to name and shame a dealer then as per my post in the Disco vehicles wanted section don’t want others to buy it with all the faults, I have photographic evidence of all faults listed and work being advertised as done but not fully namely the timing belt I paid extra for and all that was done was the main belt not the pulleys or other belts, would hate to think someone purchases that vehicle and the belts go taking the engine with it especially being a D4 8 speed.
 Goodyear Duratracs
Pirelli ATR gone
GG AT Gone
RLD Spare wheel protector
Leeds - London weekly return
Club ctek mxs10
Yorkshire 4x4 Response 

Post #187790410th Nov 2017 11:40 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Shame there are no paragraphs Dr. Evil

Post #187790610th Nov 2017 11:42 am
Hardware

Hardware17 wrote:
If second one was on autotrader I believe you can report it as being a dealer pretending otherwise.

or maybe Trading Standards would be interested? ( and taxman ??? )

Post #187790810th Nov 2017 11:53 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

ebygum32 wrote:
Gareth wrote:

Gareth

Would it be ok to name and shame a dealer then as per my post in the Disco vehicles wanted section don’t want others to buy it with all the faults, I have photographic evidence of all faults listed and work being advertised as done but not fully namely the timing belt I paid extra for and all that was done was the main belt not the pulleys or other belts, would hate to think someone purchases that vehicle and the belts go taking the engine with it especially being a D4 8 speed.

If you have been genuinely ripped off then I wouldn't have a problem. However, make sure facts are correct, or you might get sued for slander.

Post #187791110th Nov 2017 12:08 pm
g5imsd

I just mean to stop people travelling a long way for a bad car! I was trying to be helpful and not been nasty!!

Post #187791910th Nov 2017 12:47 pm
Gilly1

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

In my experience buying used cars I travel expecting to find faults it’s just being lucky enough to do as many checks as you can and finding them, then deciding how cost effective it is if decide to purchase and have faults rectified, but I think some luck is also involved when buying a used car as it’s not known how it’s been looked after & maintained. A good paper trail always helps (or makes me feel better anyway) lots off research and check for yourself as MOST not all will not be 100% honest/open. I feel that if your in no rush and are buying private a good place to start is this forum as many member are on here because they want to look after and maintain there discovery to a good standard. Good luck with your search & I hope you find the one you want. Thumbs Up
 2015MY discovery 4 se tech with factory black pack.
With added
Rse, tv, electric memory seats, rear camera, heated steering wheel,
Headlight dip assist, remote FBH, led door light pack,easy lift kit,osram front fog/drl/active cornering lights. and whatever els I can find to do, 

Post #187792210th Nov 2017 12:59 pm
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Re: CAN WE NAME AND SHAME!!

g5imsd wrote:
..it did'nt appear to rise so.. ..the suspension was really slow at lifting especially the fronts..

Out of interest, what do you mean by slow to rise? Mine (2005 D3) stays at the correct height when asleep, and gives a slight sensation of leveling up when started but definitely doesn't 'rise' unless I tell it to.

Post #187792710th Nov 2017 1:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >