Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Canning Stock Route, Western Australia
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
catweasel

pdf was given to me on a disk by a dealer I think and I seemed to have misplaced the disk Thud I do have another pdf but is over 20Mb in size and has a little bit in there that might interset you. I can email it if you like. PM me if your interested

Post #7992922nd Aug 2006 12:21 pm
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Re: Canning Stock Route, Western Australia

10forcash wrote:
RichardK wrote:
The first of my problems occurred prior to well 33, going over corrugations,warnings gonged, words flashed onto my message centre……HDC failure, ABS failure, Suspension failure, suspension will be lowered………..The final 2 days I had my Suspension failure 8 times but each time it reset itself after restarting the motor, I suspect the corrugations affect the sensors
Problems: HDC/ABS/TC/Suspension Etc. 10 times
Handbrake warning light numerous times

Both I suspect due to the corrugations, these faults did not reoccur on the way home via the blacktop
Richard, the sequence and the message about the suspension being lowered (as opposed to suspension error / fault) would indicate that the systems are operating correctly - i.e. fail safe, due to a wheel speed sensor problem. It sounds like a poor connection around one of the multiplugs in the left rear wheelarch although WDS / IDS will need to diagnose which wheel rotation sensor signal is being lost. As you can see, there is very tight system integration. Loss of, or an implausible signal to one system can cascade through the other, seemingly unrelated systems, quite often, the originating system doesn't go into fault as it recognises the missing signal and works from fallback or default values.

The handbrake warning light may also be related to the same connector or could be due to the CANbus shutting down as a result of the other fault, did the EPB malfunction or just gove an amber or red warning indication?

Thanks for your comments 10 for Cash, they are very valuable to me as we intend to take the D3 into other remote areas and I need to get a better understanding of the electrics.

If I remember correctly you are probably right, I think the first warning was that the ABS was out then came ABS, TC and ultimately "suspension failure", "Suspension is being lowered".

I am curious as to why you suggest that the LHR sensor was the culprit?

When I removed the wheels on Sunday to pressure wash those areas, I did notice that the RH rear rubber boot was almost non existant and a large part of it seemed jammed up the Aluminium covering of the leg, perhaps this may have caused the malfunction?

I am not as conversant as you with the acronyms.........WDS/IDS?, EPB?, I agree that the loss of one wheel sensor signal may affect the other though.

The handbrake warning light was flashing red every time eccept one and reset itself after I stopped, applied the handbrake,switched off ,restarted and released the handbrake. Only once did it have a stationary amber light but that too went after the same application.

Post #7994122nd Aug 2006 1:00 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Richard, each wheel sensor has it's own two pin connector, however, there are two 18 pin connectors under the LHR wheel arch that carries these and other signals, including EPB (Electronic Park Brake) signals, is your gearbox auto or manual? if Auto, this could explain the EPB warnings as this system also takes info from the ABS speed sense output, although it will release once 5% throttle movement is detected.

IDS = Integrated Diagnostic System
WDS Worldwide Diagnostic System
Currently both are in use, IDS is the newer system and WDS will gradually be phased out

Which riubber boot are you referring to? the CV joint boot? if so, this is almost certainly the area of the problem as the wheel rotation sensor is adjacent to a castellated flange at the end of the CV joint.

Hope this helps Wink

Post #7995022nd Aug 2006 1:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardK

Gearbox is auto, I find the best for 4 wheel driving. Actually I don't know of any manuals in Australia.

The rubber boot is the one on the lower part of the air spring

Post #7996022nd Aug 2006 1:33 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's unlikely to be that then, unless there's some collateral damage from whatever damaged the suspension boot. Does the suspension still operate OK? i.e. no leaks Shocked

Post #7996522nd Aug 2006 1:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Richard,
Was this pre or post enhancement?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8007722nd Aug 2006 11:52 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well done Richard.

I take my hat off to you to trust the D3 on such a remote track. The warnings are certainly a cause for concern and a dent to your trust in the D3.

Did you have any flats? Looks like not with the stickers on the tyres on the roof rack still showing. Did you carry spare tyres with rims or were they just tyres? How much water did you carry? What spares did you take?

How much weight did you have on the rack? What does your rack weigh?

Was that tank inside your D3 a metal tank or bladder?

I reckon you should write a story for the Land Rover One life magazine.

Regards,

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #8010123rd Aug 2006 7:02 am
RichardK

10forcash wrote:
It's unlikely to be that then, unless there's some collateral damage from whatever damaged the suspension boot. Does the suspension still operate OK? i.e. no leaks Shocked

Suspension still operates OK and no leaks...........car is still under warranty so I will be at the dealers before the weekend

I suspect that the vibrations may have been the main problem, in which case LR may need to look further into how the sensors are mounted

Last edited by RichardK on 23rd Aug 2006 12:45 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8014323rd Aug 2006 12:40 pm
RichardK

caverD3 wrote:
Richard,
Was this pre or post enhancement?

Had it serviced and latest enhancements (I trust) a week before going

Post #8014423rd Aug 2006 12:42 pm
RichardK

PCH wrote:
Well done Richard.

I take my hat off to you to trust the D3 on such a remote track. The warnings are certainly a cause for concern and a dent to your trust in the D3.

Did you have any flats? Looks like not with the stickers on the tyres on the roof rack still showing. Did you carry spare tyres with rims or were they just tyres? How much water did you carry? What spares did you take?

How much weight did you have on the rack? What does your rack weigh?

Was that tank inside your D3 a metal tank or bladder?

I reckon you should write a story for the Land Rover One life magazine.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I do have a lot of confidence in the LR product, I have had a few in my time and I've only had one problem with a starter motor in an auto that has been a real problem and I do some heavy 4wding at times. I would also point out that Nissans, Toyotas and others have there share of problems in particular suspension on the CSR

No flats, took the spare plus a spare tyre but as in my first trip some 8 years ago (in a Range Rover) no problems with the tyres.

No idea on the rack weight, its a Tracklander (Jarram, made in WA) and available at ARB, a very well built rack.

There would have been around 80 kilos up top.

The fuel tank is one I had made for the Range Rover and found it fitted inside the Disco so I made some brackets to suit the bolt holes for the seats and fitted it in.

Is the LandRover oOne Life Magazine an LR publication? I feel I would be safe in saying it would be the first D3 up the CSR

Cheers

Richard

Post #8015423rd Aug 2006 12:57 pm
Craig S

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Richard, thank you for the great pics and trip report. We've done the "Grey Nomads" tour through many parts of Australia but being in a Motor Home we had to limit our outback excursions to places like the Oodnadatta track, and Dalhousie springs. Your photos cement even future our desires to take a similar trip. Being relatively new to the game our first trip or two will be with an organised tour group. It'll give us the chance to learn the ropes so to say.

Interested in how the issue resolution proceeds with LR, like many others I bought a Disco 3 for the long term and reliability issues need to be addressed pronto. Generally speaking I'm very happy with the vehicle would not dream of replacing it.

Post #9388914th Oct 2006 2:53 am
RichardK

Craig S wrote:
Richard, thank you for the great pics and trip report. We've done the "Grey Nomads" tour through many parts of Australia but being in a Motor Home we had to limit our outback excursions to places like the Oodnadatta track, and Dalhousie springs. Your photos cement even future our desires to take a similar trip. Being relatively new to the game our first trip or two will be with an organised tour group. It'll give us the chance to learn the ropes so to say.

Interested in how the issue resolution proceeds with LR, like many others I bought a Disco 3 for the long term and reliability issues need to be addressed pronto. Generally speaking I'm very happy with the vehicle would not dream of replacing it.

Hi Craig S

I've had the latest enhancements but havent had time to check it all out on some corrugated roads, I will check the connections as 10 for cash suggested but time is short at the moment, hopefukky I'll get a day I can get to it in the next couple of weeks.

I won't let it put me off, I am planning my next trip for around August next year and will go through the back of the Goldfields to Laverton on the Great Central Road to Lasseters Cave, backtrack to Sandy Blight Junction Road and up to Kintore Rd to Gary Junction Rd into Alice down to Coober Pedy then Googs Track down to Ceduna and Home, so it will be pretty remote in some areas.

Disco4x4au has just completed a trip to Alice Via Great Central Rd,although I haven't caught up with him yet I believe he had a trouble free trip

I have done a fair amount of outback travel and anyone can get caught whatever type of vehicle they have............no vehicle is trouble free, just the severity of it

Post #9409615th Oct 2006 12:17 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

hopefukky Shocked

Post #9422015th Oct 2006 9:55 pm
Sib

United Kingdom 2012 LR4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteLR4

Great report, thanks for taking the trouble to post it.
Just a question about the tyres you fitted.. Are your rims the standard D3 17" rims only I`m after a set of BFG AT`s but I`m constantly told they don`t make a size for the 17" rim. I`m clearly no expert on tyre sizing but did this fit properly with no snagging / side effects / restrictions? It is quite simply the best tyre I`ve ever had on any Landy and would love to fit it to my standard 17" rims...

Also did you take any spare oils (maybe apart from engine oil) or mechanical bits ?

Thanks
SIB

Post #9454016th Oct 2006 9:36 pm
RichardK

Sib wrote:
Great report, thanks for taking the trouble to post it.
Just a question about the tyres you fitted.. Are your rims the standard D3 17" rims only I`m after a set of BFG AT`s but I`m constantly told they don`t make a size for the 17" rim. I`m clearly no expert on tyre sizing but did this fit properly with no snagging / side effects / restrictions? It is quite simply the best tyre I`ve ever had on any Landy and would love to fit it to my standard 17" rims...

Also did you take any spare oils (maybe apart from engine oil) or mechanical bits ?

Thanks
SIB

Rims are standard D3 17"rims fitted with BFG 265x70x17 AT's, work very well and only on the CSR did they rub a small hole in the plastic inner at the rear due to the extreme articulation caused by thr ruts in the dunes.

No did not take any extra opil other than engine oil and didn't need that, there were no engine problems whatsoever for the whole trip

Post #9471717th Oct 2006 1:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >