DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

can't get warm in this car!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
Dave T

England 

Dave T wrote:
My March 2016 doesn't have the problem either, exactly the same as my 2012 one

I refer to my earlier post, I don't think its software or basic design flaw, more something that can be put together wrong.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #17886558th Mar 2017 6:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

So mine is in the dealers at the moment so they can look at the issue of not maintaining cabin temp. Service manager has just text me to say that they are fitting a new heater seal (?) as the first course of action as directed by a JLR tech bulletin. Anyone had sight of this? Not seen it mentioned on here during the lengthy conversations on this topic.

Post #179255717th Mar 2017 11:55 am
Dannyson

England 

Could this 'seal' be the little foam cover thats been mentioned here maybe?
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #179283917th Mar 2017 9:33 pm
Armpit

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto ArubaDiscovery 4

I have had my 66 plate D4 for 3 weeks now and have exactly the same issue - it has been back to the garage and they have done LTB00963 which is the foam seal around the sensor but it hasn't sorted the problem. I will try a different dealer this week and then I think we need to raise directly with Landrover.

I would consider contacting Autoexpress if this is sorted soon - do you think we can start being taken seriously if we use the power of media ?

Thanks - Paul

PS see the sticky topic at the top of the page (38 pages long) - it starts about the outside temp reading and then moves to the topic of the climate control.

Post #179373719th Mar 2017 10:58 pm
tonymcg

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

be really interested if someone can post how to get the trim off to check the sensor, in the D3 it was easy to get the "H" trim off but on the D4 the trim is very tight. I'd like to have a look before going to the dealer with the issue, easier to check myself than book weeks in advance for a convenient slot, cheers guys Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE Luxury 2016
D3 HSE 2009
D2 ES Premium 2003 

Post #179390420th Mar 2017 1:30 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

It is a bit more involved removing the trim.

You need to remove trim below the sat nav screen, it pulls up and off. You also need to remove the chrome surround of the climate control.

You then need to loosen the centre console and slide it back a bit. From memory it's two screws under drinks holders.

Then it is a case of pulling the trim off, it hooks at the top. You will loose clips but they will probably fall down between the trim in the footwell. Don't forget the stop/start button connection. You might need to move the steering wheel adjustment to make it easy to get out.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

So far my replacement sensor seems to be working. I already had one under warranty, but I wonder if there is a batch fault as it made no difference. In the end I bought a used one off a D3 via Ebay and that read differently. I also made sure the foam gasket was fitted so that there was no gap at all.

Post #179410220th Mar 2017 9:20 pm
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

So as mentioned before, my MY16 is in for a few niggles, this issue being one of them. Dealer has put together a technical case for JLR to answer questions as to why cabin temp is kit maintained when set to Auto. Not holding out much hope, but it's a start. They have referenced the posts on here as evidence of unhappy owners!!

Post #179450021st Mar 2017 7:34 pm
Armpit

Update

I am now in my 7th week of ownership.......the car has spent a morning at the supplying dealer to resolve the cabin temperature issue with no fault found. Surprise, surprise it was no better - I then went to another dealer who has changed the cabin temperature sensor as they found a fault, the problem with cold air still exists (that was another two days at the dealer).

The car is in again to the same dealer that replaced the sensor and they have requested help from Landrover technical team (assisted by customer services). I have informed customer services and my supplying dealer that I will start the process to formally reject the car as not fit for purpose if this issue is not resolved............I feel that three attempts and four and a half days out of my seven weeks of ownership demonstrates me being reasonable enough !!!!

It's a real shame as I love the car and I have always aspired to owning one of these !!!!

I have never rejected a car before and I am not looking forwards to the aggravation that it will inevitably be..........I really didn't think Landrover would not be able to sort what I think is a quite simple issue and I maintain that if this information got to the original HVAC system designers they would be able to solve the issue very quickly !

One very fed up "expensive new car owner"

I will update tomorrow again when, hopefully I will have the car back........

Cheers - Paul

Post #180249811th Apr 2017 5:29 pm
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

I am at exactly the same point. Dealer is staffing my case with JLR. Their tech team (ha) are looking into it. There must be grounds, given the numbers of us experiencing the issue to get the motoring press involved?

Post #180265812th Apr 2017 12:32 am
Armpit

Tanglewood - I am certainly up for approaching the press if not resolved quickly........will advise on how I get on today.

Out of interest what model / date is your car - mine is a 66 plate Graphite registered mid September.

Cheers - Paul

Post #180267912th Apr 2017 6:44 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I think their might be a batch issue with internal sensors. Since I swapped mine for one off ebay from an older MY it has been much better.

The values were different between both sensors when I measured them with a multi meter. I had already had the internal sensor replaced under warranty which made no difference at all. Buying one off ebay from an older car and fitting it myself seemed to work.

I almost sold the car as I was getting so fed up with it.

The hardware, software etc was all the same as previous model years which didn't have the problem, so it has to be a component/batch issue.

By the way LR CS had raised a case on mine and said it worked to design spec, but refused to release the design spec when I asked to compare it to how my car behaved. But too be honest it is not rocket science, if it says 21 degrees on climate control it should be close to 21 degrees in the cabin. They even suggested I sell it "sold as seen" when I said I wanted to sell it and was worried about passing the problem to the next owner !!!!

Post #180268712th Apr 2017 7:14 am
Armpit

Car is still with the dealer, running some specific tests and logging air temperatures from all different vents under different conditions as requested by the Landrover technical team........hopefully the correct parties are now engaged to root cause the problem and develop a fix. This will be three days this week the car has been with them, so fair play, the problem seems to be being taken seriously and I am happy for them to have the car if they can solve the issue.

Further update tomorrow evening........

Post #180287012th Apr 2017 5:08 pm
Armpit

Update - the car is still with the dealer, so that is 3 days this week (Tues-Thurs), I have taken a courtesy car home as they have run some tests as requested by Landrover technical, including running my car side by side with another (I am a bit disappointed as I asked what they had used to do this and they stated it was another MY16 Disco.......if it's a MY16 problem, not sure what this would show).

Never the less, they still have the car and are awaiting next steps from Landrover and they will do these next steps on Tuesday after the bank holiday.

I will update on Wednesday next week........

Thanks - Paul

Post #180360714th Apr 2017 5:15 pm
countrywide

They asked the dealer to compare mine to another MY16, which I explained was pointless. When they said it worked to design intent, I asked how they could say that as they didn't compare it to design intent just another car with potentially the same issue. It's like comparing two broken things, they are the same yet still broken and don't meet design intent.

At the end of the day there is a document somewhere which says what the sensors read at a certain temperature and how the climate control reacts to these sensors. Until somebody bothers to do this they are just wasting time and money doing pointless comparisons. The dealer can't do it as they don't have the info and Land Rover refuse to release it. So as a customer you have no way to challenge it as you can't check if it is working because their design intent is "secret".

Honestly I found it so frustrating having to deal with a technical department who use such a basic non technical approach to solving problems.

Post #180367514th Apr 2017 7:26 pm
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

They are meant to be asking JLR for info on what to do with mine. I am getting bored chasing them. Was checking for something else today and got this fault:

HVAC-Ventilation

B1085-00 (6Cool Defrost damper motor
( on 11-04-2017 08:31:35 at 26346 mi )
- Confirmed
- Test Failed Since Last Clear
- Test Not Completed This Monitoring Cycle
B1085-49 (6Cool Defrost damper motor - System internal failure - internal electronic failure
( on 11-04-2017 08:31:35 at 26346 mi )
- Confirmed
- Test Failed Since Last Clear
- Test Not Completed This Monitoring Cycle

Anyone had this?

Post #180369714th Apr 2017 8:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >