Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Car polish recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry, but back on topic.

I'm now sold on using black polish on my Beast.
It doesn't leave the usual white dust when I polish it off -oohh Matron???
[and it doesn't discolour the plastic trim]

Been using black Turtle wax liquid recently.
But would now like to find a great quality black paste type product.
Anybody aware of any?
If not, I may just have to pop into my local undertakers and see what they use?
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #19008916th Aug 2007 2:04 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
Hi Paul, If you find something on a UK site e-bay or whatever (or Halfords etc) , I'd be happy to have it delivered to my house & bring it over next time. I'm here til 24th and then should be back first or second week of September.

Cheers Ian....that's very kind of you...a friend has also offered to bring stuff over for me, but I wanted to try and avoid it if possible because I know what a nightmare it can be carting stuff over for other people when you're travelling. In my case, whenever I go back to the UK, I'm expected to bring cured ham and decent wine for everyone and it drives me nuts Smile

I really need to find a local (national mail-order) supplier, but if I can't, I may well take you up on your offer. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up How come you're over here so often?

Bodsy wrote:
I've used Mothers detailing spray when claybar-ing my last car before selling it.
If you want to do a proper job, it's definately worth using a clay bar to get rid of the impurities & ingrained road dirt before doing the abrasive polish & top wax. (IMHO although someone is bound to disagree Laughing )

I don't think anyone can disagree. I've never used one myself, but last night I had a really good look at the paint and even though you can't see them, you can feel small bits/dust particles ingrained into the paintwork. I will buy a clay bar and use it before starting the polishing.

Luckily I can't feel the actual scratches with the back of my fingernail so I reckon they'll come out. I'm starting to wonder if the dealer carwash was fitted with steel wool brushes Sad

How are the holidays going?

Last edited by PaulP on 17th Aug 2007 8:55 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19044717th Aug 2007 8:36 am
PaulP

BLFarrar wrote:
actually..it wasnt the polish debacle I got sent to Somalia for it was Imperial / Metric...I think.

Yes, but you did deserve it Laughing Thumbs Up Anyway, since you seem to have survived Somalia, TFC may be considering a 2 for 1 offer at the moment and could probably arrange to ship you out to Limassol Thumbs Up

BLFarrar wrote:
If you go to the Meguairs website they can ship or suggest someone who could.

Unfortunately, their Spanish website seems to be a placeholder at the moment, whilst they look for national stockists/distributors....and I can't wait that long Big Cry

Post #19045417th Aug 2007 8:42 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's not holidays.... Crying or Very sad (well it is for SWMBO & the kids for three weeks) I manage some operations across Europe & Barcelona is the sunniest one Smile so I work over here for usually at least a week a month. Go back on 24th & will be back again in September.
No problem bring some stuff back, I can always put it in another bag & I usually bring a large suitcase with space in anyway so I can fulfill SWMBO's requirements of a couple of bottles of Rioja on the journey home. Smile

Planning on driving down towards the end of September or beginning of October, so may well seek your advice on which car parks in the city to avoid as well as some half decent Wine cellers.... Smile

As for the clay bar, I'd never used one before I did the Merc to sell it & was really amazed at how much stuff it got out of the paintwork. You must use detailing spray with it though & it's not hard work, pretty easy really, just time consuming.

I wouldn't do it every time you wash the car, but maybe every 6 months would be perfect. Let's not forget that these are normal everyday cars too! so they'll never be in fully showroom condition.

Anyway, let me know if I can help, no problem.

Ian
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #19046517th Aug 2007 8:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

StuRox wrote:
Well, I was sick of the swirls, scratches etc on my wifes Black Brabus

Mercedes or Smart?? Any before/after pics?

StuRox wrote:
I then ordered:-

Poorboys SSR 2.5 Super Swirl Remover to remove the swirls, and to finish....

Poorboys EX-P Sealant

After looking through some boring detailing forums for the last 2 hours, I reckon I'm going to give the Poorboys stuff a chance. Seems to get very good reviews and it doesn't cost too much....plus it's available at the website in my original post Thumbs Up

Ok....next question.....the micro-scratches on my car are plentiful and deep enough to see, but not deep enough to feel....

http://store.carcareeurope.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=5

I notice that Poorboys do four grades of swirl-remover: 1 (fine polish), 2, 2.5 and 3 (cutting compound). Does anybody have experience with the other grades or should I just go with the one StuRox used (2.5)?

Post #19046717th Aug 2007 8:54 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
PaulP

Whats his about Limassol....2 for 1 ?

...as much as I look I cant see any threads I'm to blame for - Trolling or anything else (maybe tendancies have moved from being the victim of the blame culture to a distinct paranoid guilt tendancy).

However.........POLISH - I have an imported Morris Minor Paint work to sort soon & I am going to experiment with all the different brands to see what does the business - 43 year old paint which must be oxidised (or is is oxidated) should be a good test.

I will record my efforts (before & after shots) - then report back.
Basically I'm after something that works (looks good & protects the paintwork), isnt too costly & doesnt take all my spare time (in short supply these days) - I would reckon that would concurr with most Disco3 punters.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #19048317th Aug 2007 9:22 am
StuRox

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

PaulP wrote:
StuRox wrote:
Well, I was sick of the swirls, scratches etc on my wifes Black Brabus

Mercedes or Smart?? Any before/after pics?

It is the Smart ForFour Brabus - go-kart on steriods Very Happy

As for pics - I wish I had taken some, as the results were amazing....

As for grades - I just went for medium - for me it was a stab in the dark, as I thought the swirles etc were bad, but not major for the high grade, especially since the panels are plastic, and the paint seems thinner , and this has worked for me. My thinking was, I can always go higher grade if necessary, but to try the highest grade first and ruin the paint was not worth it.

Post #19052517th Aug 2007 10:32 am
PaulP

StuRox wrote:
As for grades - I just went for medium - for me it was a stab in the dark, as I thought the swirles etc were bad, but not major for the high grade, especially since the panels are plastic, and the paint seems thinner , and this has worked for me. My thinking was, I can always go higher grade if necessary, but to try the highest grade first and ruin the paint was not worth it.

Good thinking....you've convinced me....I was more worried about buying something that didn't shift the scratches, or even worse something that whipped the paint off down to the primer Very Happy

OK...order placed for delivery early next week.....

Poorboys EX - Sealant with carnauba
Poorboys Polish with Carnauba
Poorboys SSR2.5 - Polish
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
Poorboys Spray & Gloss
Mothers FX Tire Shine
Autosol Wheel-Cleaner Gel

Now I have to prepare a defence for when my wife founds out what I've been wasting this months shopping budget on Whistle

Thanks for all the help guys......I'll update the post when I've had a chance to get my hands dirty and get the car up to scratch (no pun intended).
Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #19053317th Aug 2007 10:52 am
StuRox

Nice shopping list - more thorough than me - found the 2 items I bought were great - man your car will shine Very Happy

Do you have a machine polisher - or are you doing this by hand??

Post #19057017th Aug 2007 11:45 am
Pelyma

England 

Be careful with machines, they are the easiest way of producing the metal shine Sad
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #19057217th Aug 2007 11:49 am
StuRox

I find mine ok, the only reason I mention it, is if not, and you are going to get one, make sure you try and get one where the head is dual action, as per the diagram below, as the first one will just help making more swirls if you are not an experienced polisher Wink

Click image to enlarge

As for making a metal polish - don't press hard on the polisher, and let the motion to the work, not the pressure :wink:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #19057617th Aug 2007 11:58 am
PaulP

Bodsy wrote:
Planning on driving down towards the end of September or beginning of October, so may well seek your advice on which car parks in the city to avoid as well as some half decent Wine cellers.... Smile

No worries......let me know which area you're going to be in, and I'll do some investigations beforehand...

Bodsy wrote:
Let's not forget that these are normal everyday cars too! so they'll never be in fully showroom condition.

I'm with you 100%. The Disco needs bringing up to standard. Spending one Sunday morning and using decent products will mean that I can then forget about it for 6 months at a time apart from a weekly 5 minute wash.

As I always say....I hate having a dirty car, but love getting it dirty in the first place....
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #19095318th Aug 2007 10:15 am
PaulP

StuRox wrote:
Nice shopping list - more thorough than me

As per another recent thread...it's easier to beg forgiveness once the whole lot is delivered than try and get permission to buy everything as and when you need it:

("20 EUROS FOR POLISH??!!!!???". "HOW MUCH???? I'VE GOT A SPARE DISHCLOTH YOU CAN USE TO CLEAN IT WITH!!!" etc etc blah blah whinge whinge)

StuRox wrote:
Do you have a machine polisher - or are you doing this by hand??

I really really want to buy a machine polisher......but the ones I've seen are around 240 euros which would be pushing my luck at the moment Smile

There is a decent paint/tool supplier down the road that I get on well with - I think he has some which will probably be cheaper (although they're unlikely to be special 'car-polishing' ones).

I'll look for the random orbit type, but if I can't get one, then I guess I'll have to use a normal one and keep it moving in small circles all the time.
Cheers for the advice! Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #19095618th Aug 2007 10:24 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I don't know whether FESTOOL are sold or obtainable in Spain - their orbital sander polishers are like most of their power tools - awesome
they do both electric & air types
Worth looking for
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #19154919th Aug 2007 4:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >