Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Caravan Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Caravan Advice

After visiting the NEC show we have decided to buy a caravan so have a few questions. We've narrowed it down to 2 berth as its only me and SWMBO, end washroom, Swift, Sterling or Bailey. Buget looks like will get us a 2008 model. So questions are.

1. Any dealer recommendations in the north west.
2. Storage locations Liverpool (won't go on the drive).
3. What to look out for when buying.

Going to look around in a couple of weeks so advice very welcome..

Cheers

Andy

Post #99422725th Oct 2012 7:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MHP

England 

my parents get most of out caravan from campebels,presten. They come up with amazing deals but there services is rubush, here is a link to there site http://www.campbells.ltd.uk/index.html
Laughing But what make you go for is all down to personal prefrence Thumbs Up

Post #99423525th Oct 2012 8:07 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

As already said it is down to personal choice. If going for second hand make sure everything works. Check that you and SWMBO fit on the beds. Some caravans have different sized beds that look identical Test it your self. If possible get a damp check done while you are watching or a written warranty as to lack of damp. Most modern caravans sit on minimum rated tyres. Check that the fitted tyres can carry the specified load, preferably with some surplus. Check the date of manaufacture of the tyres. A 2008 van may well have tyres dated well before 2008. 6 years is generally regarded as the maxiumm "safe" life. Ideally a full service history. Many insurance companies require annual checks.

Post #99424425th Oct 2012 8:17 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Campbell's defiantly on the list along with Stewart Longtons. Also been looking at Glossop caravans.

Trading up from camping so may have a nice Outwell setup for sale soon Whistle

Andy

Post #99424825th Oct 2012 8:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MHP

England 

not sure what Glosseps are like as only ever been with the pearents to cambles! hope you find what you want chap Thumbs Up

Post #99425225th Oct 2012 8:26 pm
Andy Foster

Russell's son wrote:
not sure what Glosseps are like as only ever been with the pearents to cambles! hope you find what you want chap Thumbs Up

Cheers.

Looked at that many now can't remember where they all are.

Post #99425525th Oct 2012 8:33 pm
MHP

England 

Laughing There wel to many to choice, i relly like the Inos cravan, it so big and very very nice Laughing well i would expect it to be at £36,000 Rolling with laughter

Post #99426025th Oct 2012 8:42 pm
hughesy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have just bought from Glossop caravans this year , got a brilliant starter kit , awning and a 15 month warranty.
The starter kit is a must for new caravanners, i also got a motor mover very helpfull for me as i have a long narrow drive, the service from glossop caravans was excellent (salesman called john very polite and honest) and they also have a huge workshop where you can see all the caravans being worked on, and their service centre is also top notch.
When i picked the caravan up it was being washed as i arrived i was the given a full demo and i was off, they also have an excellent caravan shop full of everything you could possibly need.
Me and swmbo spent about 7 hours choosing our first caravan and enjoyed alot.
When i had got my van home i noticed a 20mm crack in the corner rear bumper so i phoned glossop just to see what they would say and they offerd to pick up the van repair/replace corner peice and then drop off my van back at home Thumbs Up

Post #99426525th Oct 2012 8:45 pm
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

One piece of advice is to crawl all over it - use you nose to smell out damp, poke your fingers in all the lockers.

I would personally find a local dealer - if you do have any issues with a used caravan you can take it back to get it fixed. You'll struggle to get another dealer to carry out warranty work otherwise. Dealers can be your best friend if things go wrong.

Make sure you get everything thrown in as you have no part ex. Haggle, haggle then haggle some more.

If there is any doubt - walk away.

Good luck !
 2013 Evoque  
Post #99426725th Oct 2012 8:47 pm
Andy Foster

Russell's son wrote:
Laughing There wel to many to choice, i relly like the Inos cravan, it so big and very very nice Laughing well i would expect it to be at £36,000 Rolling with laughter

For that kind of money I would have to sell the D3 and pull it myself Rolling with laughter

Looking forward to it. Do people still caravan in the winter cos when we get it we will want to go and christen it straight away, so to speak.

Just going to head back to Glossop's web site. What did you get in the starter pack if you don't mind me asking hughesy.

Also is now a good time to buy.

Thanks so far

Andy

Post #99427625th Oct 2012 9:06 pm
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Caravan all year round. Winters great, toasty inside, freezing out, sites are empty.

Great time to buy - NEC show just finished so dealers will be quiet heading into winter.

First Xmas we went away we had to dig our way onto the pitch through the snow. Epic.
 2013 Evoque  
Post #99427725th Oct 2012 9:11 pm
allforus

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Had some bad experience with glossops but we wont go into that got my next to last van from reeds at blackburn they where very helpful and service was good bought a hobby premium now and the dealer for them has been very good.

Post #99447726th Oct 2012 12:41 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

Andy

As madrunner has said - well worth buying local as it can be a drag (excuse the pun!) having to take the van long distance for warranty work.

Spend as long as you can inside the van - try the seats for comfort and views, work out where things will go, not forgetting you can take away just as much if you have a large van or small.

Look and smell for damp and take more notice in the top corners, and where roof meets the sides and sides meet back and front, and all the door, windows and roof vents. There should be no spring or soft feel to the floor. Maker sure there are no gaps between the wall units and the walls which can show signs of movement in the frame of the van.

Some small marks on the exterior can be covered with a suitable reflector if in the right location.

Also worth nothing before you buy is that many insurers will not cover the "overseas" vans like Adria etc and as you can't store at home, check out the proposed storage location with Insurers before you buy a caravan. Thumbs Up

Post #99450026th Oct 2012 1:44 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

allforus wrote:
"...................bought a hobby premium now and the dealer for them has been very good.

Thumbs Up Hobby Thumbs Up unbeatable and you can live in it in winter with no fear of it freezing up, not like a lot of UK made 'vans and you can walk on the roof Shocked Hobby are like Land Rovers once you've had one nothing else will do Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #99456626th Oct 2012 6:15 pm
hughesy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

In our starter pack we got the 40ltr aquaroll,waste water collector on wheels,pump hose and filter,toilet fluids one for collector and one for cistern, small water carrier, and the flexi waste pipe .
Our van came with the option to use an internal cold water tanks so it doesnt freeze up in winter, and its just a matter of flicking a switch to swap between the internal and external, i think most vans will have these as its a very good idea.
I found the starter pack very good as i didnt have a clue what i needed.
You will really enjoy the shops at glossop as they have a full awning section with many displays Thumbs Up

Post #99461026th Oct 2012 7:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >