Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Caravan Cameras
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Landie71

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Caravan Cameras

Well now I'm quite used to the size of our caravan (Bailey Senator S6) & can see round/through it well enough when it's in a straight line behind my D3 with the normal towing mirrors. Problem is once I turn a corner the 'outer' side disappears from view. Not a big issue when manoeuvring on a site with a helper to hand, but SWIMBO doesn't always come away so I end up taking the three kids away for a few nights on my own. With a well meaning 10yr old, I do get a level of assistance, but it's not the same as seeing first hand. So with a few ideas running round my head, I've come up with this as a first attempt at caravan cameras.

First off was to discount using a wireless system as I tried one of those on my D2 & after a few days it went in the bin & I fitted a decent cabled system. Next up was to convert my D3 from 12N & 12S electrics to a 13-pin socket as the caravan has a 13-pin plug on it & having to use an adaptor niggled me anyway. That left space for a 'spare' 12S socket behind the normal cover.

I then used a 5m cable like this with the VGA plug cut off to leave five separately coloured screened cores each with a BNC plug on them:

The end that I cut the VGA plug off went into the back of a spare 12S socket along with a +12v & ground connection taken from the back of the Aux power socket in the boot:

I then fed the 'VGA' cable up behind the NS boot panel, tucked it underneath the panel to behind the second row seats, down along & under the tread plate & under the passenger seat. It's just long enough to reach the gap between the passenger seat and the console where it plugs into a video switch box:

I've modified the switch box slightly to power a coil on a change-over relay. The feed that triggers the GVIF to display the normal car reverse camera goes through this relay so it is normally connected, but is open when the video switch box is powered on so the reverse camera doesn't knock out the switch box when I probably need it the most!

On the caravan I've fitted three cameras to the back of the caravan for now, along with two IR LED floodlights (had a few weekends away last winter & couldn't see a thing once we arrived on site):

These are then cabled using readily available 10m CCTV cables (one phono, one DC plug moulded together) from the back, under the caravan to a 12S socket at the front.

When it's all plugged together & with a fourth input to the video switch box taken from the normal reverse camera, I can have any of the four cameras full screen on the SatNav screen (via the GVIF) or there are other options, the following two appearing to be the most useful at the moment:

The images are only taken while the caravan is in storage so the first real test will be the trip to Billing next weekend. I'm wondering if the side cameras might be better mounted high up at the front somehow, but I'm going to prove the theory of this working before I start making any major modifications to the caravan.

Any thoughts folks?

Post #131416321st Jul 2014 7:12 pm
Washwipe

England 

Good write up Thumbs Up
Can't help thinking the the D3 is wider than the D4 though, as I couldn't see down the side of our Series 6 when in a straight line with the D4 mirrors Whistle

Post #131416921st Jul 2014 7:32 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Brilliant Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #131417021st Jul 2014 7:32 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Keep it simple, I have this on my motorhome, will work with the caravan just need a joining plug that disconnects when you unhitch, it shows you everything with twin cameras (face down with sound and straight back) and is great for a clear reverse view when driving, I see there is only 1 left so best be quick Thumbs Up

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WAECO-Twin-Reversi...B003UMLODC

Post #131417721st Jul 2014 7:37 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Nice solution!

I've tried my go pro as a rear view cam at the rear of the van and aside a half second delay it works.

This solution is nice and love the 12S usage Thumbs Up
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #131483723rd Jul 2014 4:13 am
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Nice write up Very Happy

As my 06 D3 doesn't have reverse cam screen, I'll go back to the seperate monitor I had in the freelander. I have the rear facing camera at the 'van number plate atm but it can be blinded by headlight so was thinking about mounting it higher to look over the traffic behind me.

Post #131681428th Jul 2014 9:26 am
Landie71

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for the comments everyone. Had it's first real test with the run to Billing this weekend. The field we were in was the quieter one so didn't need them for manoeuvring to a pitch as it was an enormous (practically) empty field when we arrived on Friday lunchtime. They did come in handy when checking the rear swing getting into the field though & also near to where we store it. Getting it into the storage 'slot' they came in handy for checking I wasn't getting too near to the ones on either side though.

Think I might look at putting some others on the sides high up looking down, but thats going to take a bit more working out to make it neat & hiding the wiring

Post #131719728th Jul 2014 8:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >