Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Caravan (pro-active) GPS Tracking Systems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4
Caravan (pro-active) GPS Tracking Systems

Currently looking to install a monitored pro-active GPS tracker in our new caravan. Ive looked at the Phantom Pro111 and the Cobra Track Plus/Plus Web. Not cheap, but neither was the van, so Im after the best system I can get. Anyone got any expierience with either the Phantom or Cobra or can suggest something better any advice appreciated Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #128278012th May 2014 12:42 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 

I have Phantom on my van. Not sure of the exact model. Its a good system, and has live tracking, and tilt recogntion. On the few occasions its gone off I have received a text from them withing seconds followed by a phone call. I have given them my mobile, SWMBO's mobile and our home number, so they have always been able to get in touch. When the alarm has gone off, they have been able to tell me if they have detected a tilt activation, which would suggest that someone is hitching it up, and if the van is on the move.

The only down side is it doesnt recognise when I have accidently set it with SWMBO sitting in the van reading a magazine, and set ot for a walk. A woman can only sit still so long before nature calls. Whistle
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #128278112th May 2014 12:54 pm
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

We use the HAL Locate system and like the others if the van moves without us deactivating it immediately alerts us and if it moves another 250 yards or so then it also alerts the monitors who will attempt to contact us - the monitors are TRACKER!
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #128278312th May 2014 12:59 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I bought a Skytag system ( from one of the sponsors on Defender 2) Its a self fit system, very easy to fit too! It got me a discount off the cc insurance. It texts me whenever the caravan leaves its 'geofence' There is no alarm link, and you can pay extra for access to a real time location display on your computer.

Post #128280412th May 2014 1:42 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have the cobra system. I pay the higher subscription and I can set a zone around the van. So basically it can be moved around the storage site and it won't set anything off but if it comes out of the zone I set up I get a ring. Forgot to switch it off a couple of times when moving it and they have rang me straight away. It's compulsory if I want new for old insurance. Apparently twin axles are twice likely to get nicked

Post #128281512th May 2014 2:04 pm
highbayrack

Cheers guys, they all look good till you start seeing what's included Rolling Eyes The Hal-locate seemed a very good option till I called them to be told that the way it works is we alert you, then you ring the police yourself and get an incident number, then you ring us back and we inform the police where it is, in my book that's just causing delays Confused

Then I looked at the Skytag which also looks good except its not a Thatcham approved product and the CC told me today that they will only give the discount if it is.

So I'm totally confused and back now looking at the Phantom or the Cobra, and when I called the local approved Cobra dealer the guy wasn't even aware that they sold the model I was enquiring about Rolling Eyes doesn't fill you with much confidence.
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)

Post #128290512th May 2014 6:08 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thats odd Confused I'm off to check my paper work, but I'm sure I got a discount with the Skytag.

What I like about the ST is that it texts and emails me regardless. I don't have to remember activate/deactivate it. I simply get the message if the vehicle moves outside its fence, If I am towing the caravan myself, I can disregard it.

Post #128293912th May 2014 6:45 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

HB what make van have you brought, thought most came with factory fitted tracker these days, our Bailey did
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #128296512th May 2014 7:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highbayrack

Russell its a brand new Elddis Crusader Tempest straight from the factory, the problem is that it's the 2013 model and not the 2014 with the panoramic roof, which we didn't really want as you lose 2 overhead lockers at the front. All 2014 Crusader Tempests do have tracker and BPW diamond standard wheel locks fitted as standard.

Post #128298512th May 2014 7:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >