DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Any caravan recommendations?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
zook69

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Any caravan recommendations?

Hi all,

I have the strange urge to buy a caravan.

Unfortunately, I know very little about caravans.

Even worse .... there are lots of different caravans.

Has anybody got a good suggestion for a family of 4 with a sub £8000 budget?
Anything along the lines of "I've had a ????? for the last 4 yrs and it's been great" would be most welcome.

ta muchly
Rich
 Despite the cost of living, it remains as popular as ever!  
Post #81686113th Jul 2011 6:12 pm
GSM

Scotland 

Hi Rich,
I have a 2004 Swift Eriskay (a dealer special, based on a Swift Charisma) and think it is an excellent caravan. It’s a 17ft, single axle, 4 berth ‘van that I bought in March of this year for a shade over £7500 from a dealer. As I was a first time buyer I was offered a “first time buyer” package including, electric hookup, fresh and waste water butts, step, battery, hitch lock, awning groundsheet (I got the awning from my folks) and a full gas bottle.
It is nice to tow (my current tow car is a Saab 9-5 2.2 diesel and it manages fine, can’t wait to try the Disco out!).
I find it comfortable and it’s finished quite well.

Happy hunting.

Gordon

Post #81686713th Jul 2011 6:38 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

How old are the kids? as that's going to have a big bearing on what layout to look at

I have a Stirling Europa 540 which has permanent bunkbeds across the back, seats upfront which make into a double, side dinette which makes into bunk swell

No issues in 4 years of ownership

Post #81687013th Jul 2011 6:40 pm
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I have in the past, owned two "L" shaped lounge models. Why I bought the second is beyond me Embarassed

They give the impression of space but are most uncomfortable to use if you are sat along the front.

Just something to bear in mind Thumbs Up
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Post #81687513th Jul 2011 6:50 pm
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've had a couple of vans, the latest being a fixed bed at the rear and living area at the front which converted into either a double or 2 single beds, in my opinion this has been the best set up, less work and more comfy. The previous ones had living areas at both ends, with a bathroom in the middle, which was good but made the bathroom cramped, (the wheelarch was next to the wc, making it difficult when sitting down, if you know what i mean)

A couple of points to consider is the age of the kids and whether your ok making up and removing the beds morning and night... If the kids are young the rear bunks are good as the kids can be put to bed early, have their own beds and can be allowed to have a lie in with no detriment to the living area.

Best thing is have a tour of dealers, test each set up and make up your own mind,
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #81688113th Jul 2011 7:05 pm
roverdrive

England 

The only tip I can offer is to stay away from Compass, terrible problems with damp when just out of warrenty, and had to have the back of the van re framed.
Now got a Bailey Unicorn instead.
 Mike - 47° 51' N 19° 43' W
Discovery D3 HSE - Gone Sad
Skud Fabia
Triumph 675
110 County SW 

Post #81689313th Jul 2011 7:44 pm
mzplcg

England 

As above, choose the layout carefully. Think long and hard about what you actually need, what would be nice but not essential, and also anything which is gonna really pee you off. This bit is ultra important cos it's expensive to change if you get it wrong.

Examples would be:
How large are you? If you're like me, 5'10" and 16 stone, having a side bathroom makes showering awkward.
Will you actually use the van's bathroom? Some folks just use the site shower block.
What age are the kids? Will they be coming with you on a regular basis? Where will they sleep?
L shaped lounge. Erm, Don't. Looks cool but totally impractical.
Fixed beds are nice but take up loads of room during the day.

Once you know the layout you want/need you can begin to look for a suitable model. Get a copy of Practical Caravan - it has all the layouts in it. It also has listings of all the models in your chosen layout.

Choose the manufacturer you prefer. Go look at some and you'll see that each maker has their own style. Some will grate on you for sure. Personally I love the Coachman design which is very traditional, others think it's old and frumpy. Some people love the Bailey whereas I'm not keen on the upholstery. Once you're at this point, it is down to what you like.

Coachman build quality is legendary but then so is Swift. Bailey's were always well put together and 8 grand isn't going to get the newer Alu-Tech construction anyway. Explore Group (Elddis & Buccaneer mainly) build is a bit iffy in my experience, Had 2 of them and gave up. Bought a new Coachman last year and completely thrilled with it.

You might get lucky and find a Vanmaster but unlikely for 8 grand. An older version would be a Vanroyce. Nice if you can find a well looked after and damp free example.

2 makers no longer in business would be Avondale and Fleetwood. Both decent vans but not commanding a premium price any more. Check out a Fleetwood Heritage if you can find one. Lovely.

Last, if you can get to the show in October at the NEC it's well worth it. Lots on display so you can see them all in the flesh. Just don't take any form of payment - that way you can't get tempted. Wink

Oh, and you're not limited in your choice - the D3 can pull any of them. Thumbs Up

HTH. Dom.

Post #81690613th Jul 2011 8:19 pm
al cope

England 

To be fair, no UK 'van manufacturer has great build quality. We've had two Lunar Delta's (not bad), a Swift and an Abbey (both built by Swift group). I think they are all built by peice rate workers, as they all appear to be thrown together.

As other have said, look, look and look some more. An awful lot are designed by folks who never have to use them (a great example is big wrap around corner cushions - look great but what the hell do you do with them when it comes time to make up beds). Another is overhead lockers you cant get anything useful (like clothes) in.

Take acount of kids (growth), bed layout, and day layout. We've stuck with twin lounge layouts, as it means we can have one end, the kids the other during the day - more spacious in day mode than fixedbed/bunk models, but not many about now, as everyone has gone fixed bed mad.

lots to consider I'm afraid.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #81691113th Jul 2011 8:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
packingstrips

Why anyone would want a wobble box is behond me........They are a blight to the roads Laughing

Post #81693013th Jul 2011 9:05 pm
YeehawTwistyArms

United Kingdom 

I disagree packingstrips I'm a big fan of the wobble box I'm sorry your not.

Also I have a Caravan Duck

Post #81693213th Jul 2011 9:14 pm
packingstrips

Every year i go on holiday im passed by someone whos going far to fast with their wobble box, the things been pulled off the drive, not checked, tyre pressures at 8 psi.....20 miles down the road you see them reduced to component parts and contents strewn over all 3 carriageways. I stand by my original comment...blight to the roads.

Post #81695313th Jul 2011 9:43 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

packingstrips wrote:
Why anyone would want a wobble box is behond me........They are a blight to the roads Laughing

Are you really this man?

&feature=youtube_gdata_player
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #81695513th Jul 2011 9:49 pm
packingstrips

Lol...yeh thats me.

Post #81695813th Jul 2011 9:52 pm
NicSymonds

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

We've had various layouts and when the kids were younger, we found that a lounge at each end was good, as they could hide themselves away down the other end of the van and leave us in peace. Eventually now they no longer come with us, we've changed to a Bailey Unicorn with a fixed bed so no making the bed every night. Unless you go for a fixed bed and get the kids to sleep in the awning Very Happy

As said, look and look again but go for the layout that suits you. When you look, take a damp meter with you.

Post #81696213th Jul 2011 9:55 pm
zook69

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

all I can say is WOW .... thanks for all your great advice. Bow down

Our kids are 4 & 6. No chance of them lying in I'm afraid. In fact, they stay up late and wake up early !

I think it's time to get down to the caravan dealer and take a look. (whilst avoiding L shaped lounges, tight toilets and anything that wobbles)

It's funny, more than anything I'm looking forward to towing something again !
 Despite the cost of living, it remains as popular as ever!  
Post #81696613th Jul 2011 10:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >