Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Caravan Reversing Camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jlrjim

Caravan Reversing Camera

Planning to hire a caravan every now and then for occasional getaways.

Is there a way to wire the car for a 'trailer' reversing camera, to be selectable as a view from the nav screen? MY14 HSE spec. What gear, wires and connectors would be required?

Alternatively is there a bluetoothy thingo available, that would talk to an iPhone/iPad in the car, for example?

Obviously the van would have wires cable tied and a suitable camera velcroed to the back as a temporary measure during hire.

Cheers for any thoughts.

Post #139697729th Dec 2014 9:27 am
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I am not sure why you need a reversing camera, handy as they are? If you have someone with you and they can assist I reckon they are better than any camera. If the hired caravan has a motor mover you can locate yourself anyway in the vicinity of the caravan so as to be able to see any hazards. The remote will work on any side of the caravan and at a considerable range. Mine is effective up to 25 yards +. Should also say that with a motor mover the 'van will be much more manoeuvrable.

Post #139708729th Dec 2014 1:02 pm
Charlie610

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I just came on here to ask pretty much the same question. I have an MY10 D4 HSE with all the usual.

I was wondering if anyone has fitted a wireless reversing camera to their caravan and been able to stream it through the dash screen? Perhaps via the aux input or a USB dongle? I have quite a large tin tent and when putting it into storage or taking it for service I'm usually on my own and would find the camera quite useful. I have seen some cameras at Maplin but they have seperate screens which I'd rather not have to find storage for.
Any advice or experience would be gratefully received. Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #139797630th Dec 2014 7:38 pm
Gremlin

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

I asked the same question a few mths ago. I have looked at wireless systems but on a 8mtre van plus the disco the picture get distorted. What ever you do an extra screen is required. I asked Land Rover if there was some way it could be connected to the rear camera with a change over switch on the disco, but I've had no response. at the caravan show I bought a garmin caravan navigation which has a camara input on it. Not the best solution but it's ok and the nav gives you all caravan sites and best directions avoiding low bridges and tight turns hope this might help

Post #13998053rd Jan 2015 10:02 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

All,

it is quite easy to have a reversing camera (or more than one) visible on the satnav screen. Do a search on 'gvif' on here and you will find numerous threads. The install is a bit time-consuming but basic soldering is the most advanced thing you need to do.

I have a normal reversing camera, a hitch-cam and a wireless reversing/rear view cam on my caravan, all visible (one at a time) on the satnav screen with the use of a gvif. It is an install I can recommend and will certainly do on my next car. There is an install scheme in my gallery. The wireless signal will not reach from the back of the 'van to your car without interference; I have mounted the transmitter in the front of the caravan (where the gas bottles live). The receiver is in the headlining above the upper tailgate so they are 2-3 meters apart.

The gvif is not cheap though, will cost you over EUR 200, available from site sponsor hids4u.

Regards,
Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #14015875th Jan 2015 9:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >