Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Caravan security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Nah, the dogs for the caravan
he'd love it in there, all that soft furnishings, telly and a heater, they could tow the van away i suppose but try getting the dog out would be a problem Laughing
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #89553510th Feb 2012 3:18 pm
al cope

England 

its worth checking what your insurer needs, as on some, like my twin axle, I have to have a wheel clamp/lock on BOTH axles.

I've got two wheel locks, a hitchloch, locking wheelnuts on all four wheels, a motorbike lock joining the two wheels on one side (the other side to the wheel locks), the back legs locked down, a stinger alarm, and.... when its on the drive st home, its attached to the tamper circuit of the house alarm.

I hope thats enough

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #89554410th Feb 2012 3:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Madrunner

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As everyone has said , a good quality hitch lock but spend a bit more on the wheel locks and chain it to anything you can in close proximity, preferably under the van.

A word of caution about cassoa sites if you choose to store that way - cassoa is a meaningless award. Cassoa is owned and run by its members and in some cases charge an awful lot of cash. If your van is damaged, broken into or stolen from a cassoa site there is no comeback on the storage site. Unbelievable but true. A gold site close to me (where we used to store our van in fact) had 2 vans stolen a couple of weeks ago. Have they been downgraded after this ? No.

You are better finding a more secure facility that you are happy with....

Hth

Post #89555910th Feb 2012 4:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

my gold told me they have no resposibility to anything happening to your van

but they do seem to be quite good in how they run it, the other month i was there and 2 cars towing caravans were blocking the entrance, but they were not been allowed in, they moved and i went through, then a short while after heard sirens and upon leaving there was a couple of police officers.

Chatting to them the next time i was there, it turned out they were irish with 'banned' brands of caravans and were arguing why they couldn't be on

There must be 700 van on the gold site i use and to me thats 700:1 chance of something happening to mine which is better than the 10:1 on the farmers field

Post #89557410th Feb 2012 4:42 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 

Ah, travellers with 'banned' caravans. usualy either a Tabbart or Hobby.

The problem is if you own one, have an Irish accent, and drive a white transit van, you'll never get on a site. That said, there are plenty of lay byes or green field sites where you can pitch up for years and years and years ......
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #89565110th Feb 2012 7:18 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
Jack it up and remove the wheels.

Waste of time on its own they bring there own wheels, you are being targeted by pros.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #89574810th Feb 2012 10:23 pm
Somerset Jem

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've got a twin axle Sterling with hitchlock, 2 wheel clamps, steady locks and an alarm. The twin axles are particularly popular with the travelling fraternity and therefore far more likely to going walkies....according to my insurers! Whistle
If they want it, they'll have it so just make sure you meet the insurance requirements, at least that way you get your money back!

Post #89575010th Feb 2012 10:31 pm
M3DPO

All the security in the world will not stop it being stolen once it has been targeted, all you are doing is buying a little time. Get good insurance, not the cheapest and comply with all conditions they ask for, not forgetting accessories and equipment. I am speaking from experience I used to own a caravan storage business.
Don't forget a tow ball hitch lock to your car/caravan- a favourite hunting ground is motorway service areas whilst you go for a 'P', yes that how long it takes them.
Don't let any of this put you off caravaning, its a wonderful holiday/pastime and you will be unlucky to be targeted by the scum fraternity.

Post #89576210th Feb 2012 10:53 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

And that's why I always wait with the car and caravan when having a P break Thumbs Up

what made you get out of the storage business? Cost of running or just a hange of direction?

Post #89576910th Feb 2012 11:18 pm
bambi

England 

I have a nemisis wheel lock, a milenco wheel lock, a hitch lock, a corner steady lock, and a motorbike lock round the axle to 4 wraps of 3t swl chain secured in concrete 3 feet down, and the lock is alarmed as well.

The Nose is left down too low to to hook up and the corner steady locks stop it from being lifted, and if they do lift it the wheels are off the floor.

All you can do is try to slow the thieving scroats down. or find another caravan thats easier to steal.

Post #89606111th Feb 2012 10:06 pm
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
security???

i asked my insurer what i needed to have in the way of security on my senator indiana,he said wheel clamp(mine goes through the wheel into a receptor on the chassis)also a hitchlock(alko)came with van also alarm(fitted by bailey)i asked about trackers/phantoms and all manner of gismo,s(which can really start to add up)but there would not be any extra discount,apart from tracker£20!! Shocked i do have it on a security post though.
so if my pride and joy was removed by some scroat would i really want it back?NO.
am i going to fit loads of extra kit,costing a bomb when the ins co say it makes little difference to my policy?NO.
will i have the bare minimum of kit fitted required by the ins policy to cover the van?YES.
off for the first trip in a couple of weeks,cant wait,sat in it with swmbo and had a brew(sad or what).
hope you all have a good season.
sandy Thumbs Up
 s/steel side tubes,door trims with bright inlay,front and rear light guards,half chrome mirror caps,mud flaps,chrome finishers on boot and rear bumper step,chrome finishers round gear shift and cup holders,chrome door handle covers.d/4 grille conversion,chrome foglamp bezzells,parrot bluetooth.***sadly missed**********  
Post #9069338th Mar 2012 7:18 pm
al cope

England 

I got a discount of 20% off my insurance by having the alko lozenge wheel clamps, but i have to have one on both axles of my twin axle van - which I have. Its a right pain trying to get the gap in the spokes lined up with the receptors. I've taken to jacking it up, dropiing the handbrake, and moving each wheel round. Only issue is when I lower it, the wheel tries to move as the suspension moves, so it must be putting quite a strain on the security bolts used in these clamps.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #9069398th Mar 2012 7:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Al

That's the very reason I no longer tell the insurer that I use the ALKO wheel locks. It is impossible to fit them to both axles without jacking the van up - and I refuse to spend time cocking around doing that when I arrive on site.

Interesting as, when you ask them, the insurers know full well what a complete PITA that is - they must expect that the majority of twin axle owners just don't bother!

Post #9069778th Mar 2012 8:26 pm
M3DPO

Gareth wrote:
Jack it up and remove the wheels.

Waste of time - Scum brought a set of wheels with them and it was a twin axle.

Tracker waste of money, would you want it back after scum has been sleeping in it or started stripping it.

Just fit what the insurance company states. And beware when stopping in motorway service areas, it's a favourite hunting ground, this is the only place a good Hitchcock (car to caravan) is worth fitting.

Post #9069888th Mar 2012 8:36 pm
rnlisg

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
service areas

i can never understand why caravaners stop at services,then go into the cafe and get ripped off for a meal etc,when they have just left their home on wheels with a toilet and cooker and all they need for a break in comfort,its not worth the risk.
 s/steel side tubes,door trims with bright inlay,front and rear light guards,half chrome mirror caps,mud flaps,chrome finishers on boot and rear bumper step,chrome finishers round gear shift and cup holders,chrome door handle covers.d/4 grille conversion,chrome foglamp bezzells,parrot bluetooth.***sadly missed**********  
Post #9074339th Mar 2012 9:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >