Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Caravan security
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
THFC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I know it's not exactly a caravan but my catering trailer has got a 2 Bulldog wheel clamps and Hitchlock on it as specified by my insurance. Well at least i got some discount for having them.
The fact the storage yard where its parked has got 2 rottweilers and a security guard/thug that looks like Nikolai Valuev is an added bonus Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 PRIDE OF NORTH LONDON
AUDERE-EST-FACERE 

Post #9074649th Mar 2012 10:09 pm
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Usually isn't practical to use all of the facilities in your 'van when stopping at the services as most of your stuff is packed away for the journey. And if you put the cooker on etc... you also can't go anywhere until it is cooled down again.

I tend to keep a bit of snapping in the fridge though - just use the loos in the services.

Of course, the other thing is I am yet to pull into a services in the UK that doesn't smell like a urinal ('cos it is!). I can think of better places to sit and eat my lunch than a lorry park / truckers bog. Wink

Post #9074709th Mar 2012 10:28 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

We never leave the car/caravan unattended at any service area, someone always stays with the rig while the others all take a 'jimmy riddle' or gets a coffee/food ect.
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #90949214th Mar 2012 3:21 pm
loopyles

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I keep my van at home on the drive and along with all the normal security I have installed a camera from http://www.jabbakam.com a very cheap and highly effective cloud based system providing you have a smart phone The movement detection system takes a bit of time to set up but worth it.

Post #90954114th Mar 2012 5:21 pm
maltesenick

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If you want to go hi-tec but not so expensive as Tracker you can buy systems that rely on a switched on mobile phone inside the van that alerts a central receiving centre if the van gets moved from its "set" locus without warning the "alarm" company or disarming the phone. Can't remember the name of the maker - sorry. Other thing to try is putting your car reg no on the roof of the van in decent sized numerals along with an identifiable mark ( big red circle? ) and part only of the vans id serial number. More chance of the van being spotted from an overpass or a helicopter if the "busies" can be bothered to send one up once you've told them its been nicked. Oh yes - and keep your fingers crossed!

Post #90962614th Mar 2012 7:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hal-locate does the 'safe zone' thing. Not a mobile phone though, it is a gsm based tracker (just like Rac Trackstar).

You send it text messages to 'arm' and 'disarm' and can get status messages to see where you van is at any time.

Post #90966014th Mar 2012 8:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >