Caravan towing and Disco3 removable towbar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
sijui

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

the tow hitch is a horrible piece of work
I was hoping Kaymar would fix it with their rear bar but alas no

Post #9460717th Oct 2006 9:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sib

United Kingdom 2012 LR4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteLR4

I agree that the removable towbar is too low (at standard road driving height ). My local Ifor Williams man agrees too.

It is no problem when towing a single axle trailer or a laiden twin axle trailer or caravan but it is (we reckon) two inches too low and this is very noticable when towing an empy twin axle trailer as the rear axle wheels are hardly on the ground and it ecourages fish tailing to a rather scary degree.

I have since swapped to a single axle trailer as a result ( I was going to anyway but one trip with empty twin axle hurried my decision)

My advice for caravanners with twin axle rigs is to definately opt for the multi-hieght towbar.

Post #9487417th Oct 2006 8:01 pm
Pelyma

England 

Mine is TA and fine.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #9488517th Oct 2006 8:39 pm
John O

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I too can report no problems with a large (ish) twin axle caravan (Abbey Spectrum 520) - either when empty, or (very) full.

John O Java Black

Post #9492217th Oct 2006 10:33 pm
lookatmema

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I haven't had any problem with the height of the detachable towbar - my caravan sits just slightly nose down, and tows great. Just a thought - is the height problem more with the 5 door coil sprung motors? They would have a tendency to drop on the springs when loaded.

BUT - the bar seems to loosen off slightly when crossing rough ground (farm track) for any distance. The green release handle drops slightly, and will not return under the pressure from the built in spring to fully lock the bar. I reckon the flanges will wear pretty quickly.

Ho hum, nothing's perfect it seems.

PS - 19.9mpg is my best.
 If you wait for it to go wrong - it's bound to oblige  
Post #9530818th Oct 2006 8:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

I do 22 with the van on the back (computer reading)
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #9533518th Oct 2006 10:15 pm
Oily Hoyles

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
DRives with style

My disco pulls and pulls all day long no problem unlike the galaxy i had before!! but i would like the 29mpg we used to get unlike the 16.7mpg i had on one trip! Must say very few cars passed me either Laughing it pulls ture and fast Smile
 Road Rallying guys keep it up all night!  
Post #9648324th Oct 2006 1:41 am
Ronfltd

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

For me the removable unit is too high. I tow a ten feet ifor williams twin axle tipper and the multi height hitch is ideal. The mutli hitch also allows fitting of a guard behind the hook (I always like to protect the bumper from getting knocked when I reverse to hook up)...makes things very easy when you're on your own. Also, the air suspension is great...when unhooking with a couple of tons on, just drop the jockey wheel and then lower the suspension... nip round to unhitch and that's it. No more graunching the threads on the jockey wheel. Also, the new disco has a much better first gear ratio for towing than my previous disco 2. Pulls away without having to slip the clutch at all. Drives like a dream and pulls better than my old (ubeatable until now) defender 200tdi used to.. Very Happy

Post #9648724th Oct 2006 6:41 am
azure111s

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Been towing a twin axle (obviously) Wessex Olympian horse trailer behind mine. Have to say that after ordering the car with a removable, I thought initially (ie. before hiching anything up) that it looked a little low when in normal road height. Hitched up the trailer though and it sits perfectly level Smile Well pleased with it.

Have to agree that the air suspension is great for unhitching!

Post #9660324th Oct 2006 9:25 pm
cyclic

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I find that my twin axle sits slightly nose down on the detachable tow bar and it can be difficult at time times to get the jockey wheel retracted enough to allow the van onto to the towbar. This is particularly the case when on uneven ground.

I get round this by setting the suspension to off-road mode, giving more height for hitching and unhitching. Towing is unaffected by the nose down attitude though and is extremely stable.
 www.busyoutdoors.com  
Post #9728828th Oct 2006 2:55 pm
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I've followed this thread with intrerest as I have a biggish, heavy caravan (single axle) and have orederd new D3 HSE with the removable tow bar. The LR accessory catalogue for the D3 quotes the height of the removable tow bar as 400 mm, while the multi-height bar goes from 350 mm to 500 mm, with one 'in-between' which I presume must be 425 mm?

The catalogue doesn't say, however, where the 400 mm measurement is taken. Is it to the centre of the ball, the bottom of the ball, or the top of the ball? With my caravan perfectly level, the bottom of the hitch is exactly 420 mm from the ground. Without knowing the reference for the quoted height, I can't tell whether my caravan will ride level or not.

And will the towball drop significantly when the car is loaded and hitched up? I've read somewhere that the suspension is self-levelling. Is this so?

This is of concern to me as we currently tow with a Nissan X-Trail (great car but crap for towing), which has a nominal towball height of 450 mm, but which drops so much when the car is laden that the jockey wheel of the caravan is only about 70 mm from the ground and 'bottoms out' when we go up the ramp on the cross-channel ferry.

Do I really need a multi-height towbar or can someone tell me what is the actual height of the removable tow ball, measured, say, to the centre of the ball, when the D3 is fully loaded (kids, luggage, bikes, 90 Kg hitchload)?

Post #9732828th Oct 2006 8:38 pm
cyclic

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I will measure up tomorrow and give you accurate results. However, I have no problems with 1.7 tonnes of twin axle and the outfit is very, very stable. It is a little nose down but this doesn't affect stability at all. I have to remind myself that I am towing at times.

The self leveling will bring the towbar back up to the original height.
 www.busyoutdoors.com  
Post #9735029th Oct 2006 12:17 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

The measurement of 400mm is from the ground to the centre of the towball. My last car a Discovery 1 with heavy duty springs, had a ground to towball centre height of 450mm which dropped a little when the van was hitched. The caravan does sit a little lower on my D3, but you have to remember that there is now no drop in height, irrespective of the caravan noseweight. Also it is far better to have the caravan sitting slightly nose down as this will ensure stability at speed.

Post #9737029th Oct 2006 9:27 am
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks B16 KJR,

That makes sense. I thought the quoted measurement must be to the centre of the ball. I agree that a slightly nose-down stance gives more stability and if the back of the D3 stays level, then I think I can live with 400 mm as provided by the detachable ball.

For more clearance on RO-RO ramps and the like, I can always raise the suspension to clear the jockey wheel.

Noizeman

Post #9741729th Oct 2006 1:50 pm
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

The tow hitch is horrible, especially when trying to tow my boat out of the beach.. the trailer nose is always down and it's very hard to get the boat on the trailer.
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #9751729th Oct 2006 11:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >