Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

CB Antenna
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
CB Antenna

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I'd like to install a cb radio in the vehicle using either a gutter mounted arial or roof rack mounted one. Either way, looking at Maplins online if you use something like a Tornado Stinger Antenna the fitting it has a 3/8 fitting which seems only suitable for mag mounting. But I'd like to use something like the AO8B gutter mount but it has a S0239 socket. The amateur band antennae are set up for this connection like the Moonraker A33GX but are they ok for cb use? Either, that or I'll have to get my Amateur licence which I was thinking of doing anyhow. Thank yoooo.

Post #35063727th Sep 2008 9:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You will be needing to do a search then Whistle

Not an expert but have read some fairly long threads on mount from Ray and TFC + which CB and how to wire it all in. Feel I may have to buy one just because . . .
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #35065227th Sep 2008 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My Gallery shows you where and how I fitted mine..and it shows the Bracket available only from Uncle Ray.

I purchased my kit from 4x4cb.com. Very helpful guy and does the Midland Multi 78 package whichs fits great in the armrest box like mine, or between the seats.

Pm uncle Ray for a bracket, he's just made some and fit great Thumbs Up

Post #35065627th Sep 2008 9:58 pm
GW7AAV

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Firstly you cannot use the Moonraker A33GX on CB it is designed as a tri-band antenna for 50mHz/144mHz and 433mHz. You will simply blow up the output transistor of your CB as it is on 27mHz and the SWR will be OTT. A high SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) means that most of the power is not transmitted but instead reflected back in to the radio. The excess power generates heat and melt down of the power transistor in the output occurs. Expensive!

Radio amateurs use 3/8ths fittings too. There are quite a few good suggestions in various threads on here that should help. I would suggest you look around a bit more for the right mount to suit your circumstances. I suggest you look at the web sites of Waters and Stanton, Martin Lynch, Radioworld, Navada, Moonraker and Lam Communications just to mention a few.

I will be making my own mounts with SO239 and 3/8ths to fit onto the roof rails of my new Disco 3 so maybe that is an option you could try or buy a ready made one.

I hope you do your the radio amateurs exam so I can look forward to speaking to you about Land Rovers on the air.
 Best regards Steve GW7AAV
http://www.gw7aav.com
http://www.cqhq.co.uk 

Post #35097528th Sep 2008 9:10 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

hi
pm ray [rld] for the roof mount.v good Thumbs Up
i just updated to a midland alan121.works really well
plugged into aux power supply at back of centre console
simple easy and effective
dunc
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #35098528th Sep 2008 9:16 pm
MacLeod 313

Ditto Dunc Thumbs Up i have no probs with Rays bracket, and exactly where mine gets plugged in

Post #35099728th Sep 2008 9:21 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

may be one or two mounts left Whistle
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #35100228th Sep 2008 9:25 pm
PeanutBob

Ok thanks - Mac - was already on the 4x4cb.com site, thanks for the conf on this , and GW7AAV thanks for the advice. So, pro temps before I go for the Amateur licence, via the 4x4cb.com site the Sirio 3000pl with Sirio KF guttermount inc 4.5m military spec RG58 cable and plug seems a swift solution. Coupled to probably a Midland 78 unit. All from the same store, so this can be sorted quick at abt £150.
GW7AAV - I've been considering sitting my Amateur licence for the last year or so, my uncle is a long term ham in Canada - VE3FRH is I think his call sign. There is a local club not a mile from here, so must head down there! I know there are 3 types of licence from Foundation to full, any recommendations ? I have a fairly hefty antenna in the garden 45ft high on a telescopic mast - so can go to 70ft min and guyed down, complewte with multiband NRD 545 for reception only. I'd like to get a licence without taking too much time....

Post #35110028th Sep 2008 10:47 pm
MacLeod 313

Gutter mount, you havne got a gutter Thumbs Up He sent me one of those too and the panel gaps are too small to go into the top of the rear door. The best mounts for cb / ham are from Ray, or if your just after a ham bracket then pm XTC who does a lighter duty bracket Thumbs Up

Post #35110828th Sep 2008 10:53 pm
PeanutBob

You beat me to it....i was just going to add that this is going on a G4 defender...and if it doesn't fit the gutter then it'll go on the rack or rear ladder. Sorry, should have clarified that in original post.

Post #35111428th Sep 2008 10:57 pm
GW7AAV

PeanutBob wrote:
OkI know there are 3 types of licence from Foundation to full, any recommendations ?

The new licences are progressive so you need to work through them starting with the foundation. There are a few know it alls who could probably do all three in one day, but the foundation will get you up and running quite quickly. As you then get to know more you will probably feel restricted by you licence and you will either give up or move on to the next stage, hopefully the latter.

There are a so many aspects to amateur radio that you should find something that interests you. Aside from talking to people around the world or down your street by voice or Morse code, there are amateur satellites, amateur television, data modes such as packet radio, RTTY, PSK and loads of others stuff. These days we have Internet linked repeaters so it is possible to be walking down the street with a small low power hand held transceiver and talk to a station in Canada or Australia doing the same thing and there is no telephone bill at the end.

Hope that helps.

Post #35188929th Sep 2008 10:43 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

peanutbob - I have been thinking about this as well for a long time (doing the amateur license). I bought the RSGB study guides, for all three license levels actually in the end from Amazon. They were not that expensive and give a really good overview of each level.

The basic license is, basic. Its also designed so that all ages and levels can work through it, I don't mean this in a nasty way, but it is paced such that school children can complete the course, and the more experienced and technically minded may find it a bit slow I felt.

It also depends where you do the course, the local clubs set the pace. My local club had the course over several Saturdays and I felt the pace was a little slow and ideally I would want to do the basic license in a more intesive day course I think.

I have not started, still thinking about it, but if you are not sure the RSGB study guides are a good guide.

Also, I believe the requirement to learn morse may have been dropped for the higher license (maybe not for advanced) as that was always one thing that was off putting!

Post #35202530th Sep 2008 10:37 am
GW7AAV

TallPaul wrote:
Also, I believe the requirement to learn morse may have been dropped for the higher license (maybe not for advanced) as that was always one thing that was off putting!

The morse requirement has been dropped for all classes of licence and some pointless restrictions such as not allowing Foundation Licensees to use 10m have been lifted. There is a small one off admin fee for the licence then as long as you renew on-line every five years it is free. If you renew by mail they charge an admin fee. There is also an admin fee every time you upgrade your licence.

I hope that helps. For more information look at http://www.rsgb.org/

Post #3542883rd Oct 2008 7:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >