Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Chalky White Powder around battery tie down bracket??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dealmaker

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Chalky White Powder around battery tie down bracket??

Guys - either someone has left some Colmbian marching powder in there!..... or there's some sort of corrosion/reaction going on in my battery compartment!

I opened up the battery compartment the other day for the first time on the 05 (disconnecting the battery to try and clear the fault memory in an attempt to get the Fuel Burning heater going - and Epic Fail...again).

Anyway - under the bracket/strap that holds down the battery there was a significant deposit of white chalky powdery stuff - I havent poked around too much as yet.

Is this just a normal deposit created by oxidation/reaction/corrosion of different metals meeting - or might I have a battery leak of some sort?? (Have'nt had any battery electric problems? (Yet!)

thanks!

Post #40300915th Jan 2009 9:41 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Used to clean that stuff off with boiling water but dont suppose you can do that on the D3 clean it as best you can and then grease it.

Post #40301515th Jan 2009 9:48 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i had that went to the dealer and they put me a new battery on
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #40301715th Jan 2009 9:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi dealmaker, this is a common occurrence with standard flooded wet cell type batteries. Gassing from the battery while it is charging causes a chemical reaction on certain surfaces and you get an oxide residue build up, your chalky white powered.

Even though your battery is sealed and it’s not all that common, it can still gas ( if it didn’t, it would explode ) and as yours has been untouched for so long, I don't think there is a problem.

Some hot water and a stiff brush will clean it up but you need to check your battery terminal clamps and the battery bracket bolts to make sure there is no corrosion on the terminals themselves or on the bolts.

After cleaning everything up, as you don’t go near your battery much, let it all dry and get yourself a can of lanolin spray and give the terminals and battery bracket and the bracket’s bolts a light coat.

You need to let everything dry for a few days before you take the D3 off road, so no dust sticks to the wet lanolin.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #40316816th Jan 2009 2:08 am
stevo

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

one issue that the disco has in hot climates is that the sealed battery evaporates the water component out the breather tube which has its outlet directly above the computer housing. So while you are playing in there you might re-route this breather hose to a different area.
 Disco 4 Sept 09  
Post #40332416th Jan 2009 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
xtc

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Is it PC to use the term 'Chalky White' ? Laughing Sounds a bit racist to me... Don't want to be gettting Martin into trouble Big Cry Maybe 'Northern european with a dash of non-black white' would be OK?
 Off Roading is OK.... But I'd rather be Boating!  
Post #40350116th Jan 2009 5:34 pm
phurley

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

drivesafe wrote:
... this is a common occurrence with standard flooded wet cell type batteries. Gassing from the battery while it is charging causes a chemical reaction on certain surfaces and you get an oxide residue build up, your chalky white powered.

stevo wrote:
one issue that the disco has in hot climates is that the sealed battery evaporates the water component out the breather tube which has its outlet directly above the computer housing. So while you are playing in there you might re-route this breather hose to a different area.

2 more good reasons to get an AGM battery when replacing the original - no free gassing. Laughing Whistle

Seriously, corrosive gas where the ECM & TCM are housed? Shocked

Post #40351816th Jan 2009 6:00 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

phurley wrote:
2 more good reasons to get an AGM battery when replacing the original - no free gassing. Shocked

Hi phurley, not quite right, AGM batteries can also gas in the same type of situation and is the reason you must not mount an AGM battery up side down, you block the vents and instead of gas escaping, the battery’s electrolyte is forced out, stuffing the battery. Twisted Evil

Cheers
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #40367816th Jan 2009 9:53 pm
phurley

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Well, you're right, drivesafe - but, since the battery is pressurized, nearly of the gas produced in-battery is recombined back into water. Very little gas is vented (which is why Optimas don't have vent tube hookups). That's why I said free gassing. Very Happy

Post #40368816th Jan 2009 10:08 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There have been some cases of the battery cracking at the terminal take the clamp off (after checking the 'P' light has gone out) and look for small crack.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #40384517th Jan 2009 12:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >