Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Who changes all 4 tyres all the time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
DustinR

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

ronp wrote:
If you have too great a difference in rolling radius [esp on front] the D3 detects this and puts it in safe mode.
ie in auto, it'll only change up to 4th - command shift needed to move to 5th & 6th.
I experienced this when I had a puncture and put on my just legal spare.
Cann't say what would happen on a manual though!

This happened to me last week. I bought a used LR3 and did not realize it had 3 Michelin tires and 1 Goodyear tire. The Goodyear tire was on the rear passenger side.

I had the tires rotated and the Goodyear was moved to the front passenger side. After the tire rotation, the LR3 would not shift past 4th gear automatically, although I could shift to 5th and 6th using command shift.

I had the Goodyear tire moved back to the rear, and now it will shift to 5th and 6th automatically again. The tires were the same size and appeared to have the same tread depth, but obiously there was a difference in the rolling radius.

That brings up the question, is the difference in rolling radius only detected if the front tires are different?

Personally, after seeing how sensitive the vehicle is, I'll feel better once I have all four tires replaced, not just the rear tires.

Dustin

Post #63981222nd Apr 2010 5:08 pm
MickK

United Kingdom 

I popped into Costco at Leeds to ask about this. They said that they'll only change all 4 at the same time....to do with winding the diff up. I asked if they would change 2 if the manufacturer said it was OK and the bloke said no....they apparently stick to their policy on this. The only exception is if the 2 that don't need changing are the same make size, depth etc.............sound like a con to me... Confused

Post #64317030th Apr 2010 12:31 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

i change all 4, winter down to 4mm, summer 3mm. dont like the idea off hitting water on the motorway with different tread depths with a car full of (mostly) loved ones representing my entire lifes investment just to save a few bucks.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #6437441st May 2010 10:39 pm
jonnydisco

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have a 2006 disco 3 auto TDV6.

Car had worn off road tyres on the day of purchase so that’s fine as they looked ok.

Mot came and I got a warning on one of them being worn/on the edge (rear tyre) - so got a matching pair that matched the front.

The handling was shocking! Felt like death drive and scared me to death! Hard to describe but awful.

Had front track rods sorted as they had bust, old front wheels balanced and a full tracking done!

BETTER but still not right as it does still have a wiered pull but it is better!

Anyway, 5 weeks after replacing the back ones I’m replacing the front ones (tomorrow) and if it’s still crap I’m going to get the steering rack looked at.

Question, new rear tyres have been on my disco for 5 weeks and I have the new pair ready to go on the front tomorrow morning.

Will they be ok on the front?

They are Insa Ranger 255/55/18

Taa folks

Post #20161767th Jan 2019 8:10 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I never skimp on tyres. They are the bit in contact with the road in a 3.5 tonne brick.

I change all four at four mm (AT tyres) and buy good quality always. Currently have Durtracs on.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #20161837th Jan 2019 8:21 pm
jonnydisco

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks, I should have just done the full set but didn’t and 5 weeks on I’m like Big Cry

So tomorrow it’s another matching new pair so I’m hopeful for better steering! I think the front ones after being unbalanced and 55% worn that they need to go!

Love my disco but want to get the feeling of control back!

Thumbs Up

Post #20161867th Jan 2019 8:26 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

would they fit one tyre is you went in with a right off puncture

Post #20162628th Jan 2019 1:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

I think there is a few things to look at here.

Big 4x4 are heavey and need good tyres all round to help make them stay on the road. We recently went out to a Q7 that had crashed, on tyre was bald and was a major contributory factor to the accidnet, damp wet roads etc

We all treasure who or what we carry in our cars and as such want to maintain safety

Common sense, if all 4 tyres are down to say 2mm you would be made not to change all 4. However if all tyres had 8 mm of tread and you got a puncture that was not repairable you would alos be mad to chabge all 4 as long as you were sticking to the same make/tyre
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #20162858th Jan 2019 8:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

scoobystiv8 wrote:

For instance consider the following:

A vehicle fitted with 265/70R16 (Nissan Patrol size)

A new tyre will, according to the industry standard dimensions (ETRTO) have an overall diameter (O/D) of 792mm.

Average tread depth when new will be around 10mm.

A tyre with 5mm remaining tread depth will have an overall diameter of 782mm (original O/D - [2x5mm]).

To obtain the theoretical rolling circumference of the tyre you multiply the O/D by 3.05.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calculation:
New tyre rolling circumference
792 (original O/D) x 3.05 = 2416mm

Tyre with 5mm remaining tread depth
782 (O/D worn tyre) x 3.05 = 2385mm

Difference of 31mm

This means that the new tyre will have 31mm further to travel for every revolution of the wheel.

A tyre of this size will rotate approximately 413 times per km, therefore for every km driven the new tyre will travel an extra 12830mm or approx 13 metres!!!!

Tyre manufacturers and retailers have differing views about the maximum allowable difference in tread depths between new and worn tyres fitted to a vehicle but in general most recommend a difference of no more than 3 - 4 mm. All manufacturers will recommend fitting at least matched axle sets.

This is patently nonsense as they are all part of the same wheel. I'm with Calvin on this.

Click image to enlarge

Now. Back to the Flat Earth Society's website for some informed debate.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #20163028th Jan 2019 9:47 am
Ali1971

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Just to add Costco also insisted All 4 tyres would need to be replaced on a Honda CRV, even though it was only the front pair worn. Honda confirmed to me that there was no requirement for all 4 to be changed. Needless to say I don’t shop for tyres at Costco.

Post #202930617th Feb 2019 9:21 am
Bazza.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

philthejono wrote:
I got as slow puncture after not being able to avoid a piece of wood with a nail sticking out of it on the M6. Had 4 tyres at around 4mm, now have 3 at 4mm or less and the offset front as new. Not noticed any difference in the way the car drives or performes in the 1,000 odd miles I have done since the new tyre.

Can't work out whether I am breaking the car though

Ever thought of part worn tyres? Find a good supplier and they can match your tread depth & tyre choice. Need to be able to trust the supplier though.
 Disco 4 2012  
Post #204961429th Apr 2019 8:33 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I try and change all 4 at once.
Fitted new Duratracs a couple of weeks ago.

Before that, the old set of duratracs were of varying tread depths due to aa few issues.

Got alignment sorted on Monday after having some suspension and steering work done for Mot and car drives superbly again.

Post #20502842nd May 2019 1:07 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I change all four together when they hit 4mm. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #20502852nd May 2019 1:11 pm
RichardLlanfyllin

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I've just had an issue after a tyre change so thought I would share it with you.
I had one tyre on the front which had worn to the canvas on the inside (but about 4mm left on the rest) and 4mm on the other tyre. I changed JUST the tyre down to the canvas.

When I started driving, I first noticed that the gear changes didn't seem in time to what they used to be. Then when I kicked-down to over take, even after easing off, the gears wouldn't change up. I tried this several times, and the conclusion was that that kickdown had stopped working and I wondered if they'd damaged something jacking the car.

I took it out on another run and notice that I could get it to change up after kickdown if I steered right (to the side of the new tyre).

Long and short, the tread depth difference is important. I took it back and the guy who tracks the cars is pretty hot on 4x4's and knows the issue. He reckons the "tolerance" is as little as 2mm on the same axle and beyond that you can start getting traction control cutting in and all sorts or issues. I did say that this is my 7th disco and never had to change both tyres on the same axle. He said "I bet it's your first auto"

Post #205718130th May 2019 3:55 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I’d suggest you have an issue somewhere. I’ve done many, many tens of thousands of miles on all sorts of weird tyre tread depth combos with no issues whatsoever, deffo with far more than a 2mm difference. Sometimes with a new tyre & 3mm on the same axle, it never caused any issues. And all Autos. Thumbs Up

Post #205718330th May 2019 4:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >