Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Tips & Tricks

Changing a wheel with 'normal' tools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
JMC

Scotland 
Changing a wheel with 'normal' tools

I've changed loads of wheels in my time, a good number on Discos too. Can't beat a simple trolley jack and an extendable Draper wrench....... Never use the cars jack etc. However, after 16 months of ownership, I decided to check out the squeak from my rear brakes by doing a wheel off inspection......

If you have never changed a wheel on your D3 - pick a nice day, park on some level tarmac and give it a whirl. You might be surprised by the (lack of) acceptable result. Shocked

Two (sub-standard) 2-ton trolley jacks (Halfrauds £15 jobs). Four Axle stands (without enough reach). Four blocks of 3" wood and a good few additional planks and I still wouldn't choose to work under the car lorry. Shocked

Be Warned - this is only a 'car' when all four wheels are on the ground. Once you start to lift it up you can forget any notions of a family motor vehicle. It's a big old bus and it probably weighs the same as a double decker Wink

I don't want my garage to look a branch of Kwik-Botch so I'm off to get a 'proper' air jack and perhaps some decent axle stands too. I'm only glad that I didn't dscover all this as the result of a puncture in the middle of winter, in the dark, and the cold & wet, at the side of a slushy dual-carriageway Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #1760639th Jul 2007 11:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

After my recent wheel purchase, my next thought was turning to a decent jack. I can't justify an air jackl at the moment, but I'd really really love one, so have been trawlign arounf looking for a 3.5t long trolley jack. Can seem to get one for about £120!!!!

I guess I'll wait out for that really nice day to give it a whirl!! & then curse & wish I'd spent the £120! Rolling Eyes
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #17609110th Jul 2007 12:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

You shouldn't really need a 3.5 tonner Bods ...2 or 3 tonne will do.... have a look here Wink

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/categori...sion-jacks
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17609310th Jul 2007 12:09 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've got a quick lift 2t, just wasn't sure it would stand up to the D3. Certainly I don't think it's got the height, but we'll see when I sneak the new wheels round......

TBH what I'll probably do is take the new set of wheels & find out how much a tyre fitter will charge to take off the tyres from both sets and put the Scorpions on th balck set. Then I can sell teh Conti's to an RRS or X5 owner. Helps me get somethign back for the wheels. Then all I've got to do is save up some wedge for some 19" MTR's! That'll have to wait for the next bonus day in October I think!

Remind me what the trick is for the settings to stop the suspension going into meltdown mode when they change the wheels.....?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #17609610th Jul 2007 12:22 am
simonmd

Wales 

Don't forget, the weight limits marked on jacks are the TOTAL weight lifted, not the overall weight of the vehicle. ie, a D3 weighs 2.7 tons. Lifting up one side so that the weight is split between two tyres on the ground and the jack means 1.35 tons on the jack, easily within the range of a 2ton jack.

However remember, as JMC rightly pointed out, the D3 is very heavy. You should place onto stable axle stands before carrying out any work.

Post #17610010th Jul 2007 2:45 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

...and ISTR the manual says to put it in off road height to change a wheel. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 10th Jul 2007 9:45 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #17610110th Jul 2007 2:49 am
Jamo

Australia 

It's also important to have a door ajar. If she's still awake and goes into extended mode whilst jacking, it's really hard to get a wheel of the ground!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #17610810th Jul 2007 5:17 am
ferrett

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I use a Sealey 3T rocket lift (Troley Jack), this gives enough height to get the wheel off even if it goes extended. I also have a 2ft (600mm) breaker bar with a special socket for alloy wheels and torque whrench for putting it all back together again.

I would agree with the previous posts don't even try with the equipment supplied in the vehicle, I had the correct equipment when I had my first puncture but it was p Censored g down, dark and cold. So glad I had good tools.
 2012 D4 - SDV6 XS - Firenze Red  
Post #17611410th Jul 2007 7:25 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
You shouldn't really need a 3.5 tonner Bods ...2 or 3 tonne will do.... have a look here Wink

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/categori...sion-jacks

Had a look at Machine Mart as I too need a trolley jack, but which one to go for? My inclination is the 2 tonne 'long' jack to give the extra reach needed for the D3. Do you jack in the normal place or on one of the wishbones with these? ISTR most trolley jacks don't have the height to jack on the normal chassis point.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #17611510th Jul 2007 7:39 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

I got a reconditioned one of these:

off ebay (it's a Premier 2ton Long Reach Super Rocket Lift Sealey 2000LQ)

It's great, and it has no problem lifting the car on it's standard jacking points. Of course, it helps to start in off road height, it gives the D3 fewer options for escaping the 'obstacle'.

Post #17611710th Jul 2007 7:48 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Does anyone know the height needed to lift the D3 on the standard point?

Could measure the standard jack I suppose, but does enyone already know?
Post #17613610th Jul 2007 8:45 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I opened my standard scissor jack right up a few months back and measured it at around 50cm.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #17614210th Jul 2007 8:55 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

My Halfords High-Lift 2.5t jack is more than adequate for a wheel change, but nowhere near man enough to get the car up to a height where you would want to work under it. One of the reasons for getting a Takla 8)
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #17617510th Jul 2007 9:34 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I have this one

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...sion-jacks

..it does the job very well ..when lifting on tarmac though remember to keep a piece of marine ply handy to allow the jack wheels to move with the lift of the motor ...otherwise they sink and the D3 is likely to drop off Wink
Post #17619710th Jul 2007 9:58 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

stapldm wrote:
I opened my standard scissor jack right up a few months back and measured it at around 50cm.

Hmm, I thought as much, most trolley jacks lift to only 39cm so nowhere near enough, maybe locked in access height with a door ajar it would be OK?
Post #17620210th Jul 2007 10:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >