DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Charging a portable Battery through standard 12V plugs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DiscoJacques

South Africa 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Charging a portable Battery through standard 12V plugs

Hi guys

This topic has probably been discussed, but I am a bit lazy now and have the following question:

I have a NL portable battery with 105aH battery, the 16mm cabble with Brad Henderson was run to the tobar and do not want to runa a second cable to the boot. The reason for opting for the portable system was:

1) Engine compartment only takes up to 70aH,
2) I want a portable system between the trailer and tent.

Question: If I want to charge my battery box through the standard outlet in the boot, will I be able to do so? I measured the voltage and it came to +/- 15V, but how much amps will the NL box (with 105aH) draw when it's at 50%?

Thanks guys
 2007 TDV6 SE auto (ex Write off)
2013 D4 SDV6 SE auto 

Post #5738834th Jan 2010 1:35 pm
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DiscoJacques,
It will charge from the rear plug, but you will be limited by the wire
supply size, limited amps to the battery, slow charge rate and would
have to drive many hours to get a 105 ah @ 50% discharge full.
Give us more detail as to how you intend to use it, so as to give us
a better idea on suggestions to help you. Thumbs Up
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #5740504th Jan 2010 5:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hls

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

The D3's auxillary sockets are rated at 180 watts. The power supply through the socket is thus a maximum of 180 watts.

Power (P) = Voltage (V) x Current (I).

This means that at 12V, the maximum current limit is 15 amps. If you draw the maximum (15 amps) at the socket, then the resistance in the wiring will be 0.8 ohms (Resistance = Voltage/Current). A 15 amp fuse protects the auxilairy socket from drawing currents in excess of 15 amps to prevent the wiring from over heating due to a too high resistance.

Post #5741474th Jan 2010 7:10 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

A battery at 50 % discharge will definitely draw more than 15 amps . My optimas will accept up to 95 Amps on a 16 mm cable

Post #5742064th Jan 2010 8:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoJacques

Thanks guys, I think I will have a second 16mm cable pulled to the boot.

When we camp and off load the trailer and go for game drives, I would like charge it and it could be only a couple of hours, so I would probably need max input to get the battery charged.
2013 D4 SDV6 SE auto 

Post #5744355th Jan 2010 6:04 am
jtm

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Guys
ECHO 4x4 has a 2nd battery system that makes use of the rear 12v plug to load the battery. Technically possible? Anybody with experience of this system? I hear that LR Expience has tested the system and the 105Ah battery kept its load well. It was used to drive a Nat Luna 60l fridge during a recent trip to the Richtersveld.
JTM

Post #60896223rd Feb 2010 9:29 pm
DiscoJacques

JTM

I considered the ECHO portable box, but at R3500 for box only is a bit high, it down scales the amps drawn to charge the battery. This results in +/- 3 times longer time to charge vs a normal spilt charge.

I opted for the National Luna portable box at R2000 (includes 7m of 16mm cable). I had 2 cables pulled from the main battery (one to the boot and one to the towbar - Cost R1500). Now the battery charges at a normal rate. The R1500 included cables etc, I was left with the 7m of cable and used it to wire up the trailer for additional batteries.

I also thing the NL box is of higher quality, but the ECHO box includes a 300w inverter.
2013 D4 SDV6 SE auto 

Post #60914424th Feb 2010 6:13 am
jtm

Thanks for the information DiscoJacques. I also hear that the Echo box can charge from 220V? So one can charge from a camping power point. Will that also be at a lower rate that split charging? In the Cape the price is about the same for the Echo and NL after installation. If pirice is not a consideration will you still prefer the NL box?
JTM

Post #60916824th Feb 2010 9:06 am
DiscoJacques

JTM

You are right, ECHO charges from 220V, but I bought a decent battery charger, that is kept in the car/trailer. I charge while I use the box.

Choice, difficult Confused

Both equaly good, but if price where no problem, ECHO. The builtin inverter (I have no need for it), 220v charger and no additional cables Thumbs Up

Only down side is the slower charging rate
2013 D4 SDV6 SE auto 

Post #60918224th Feb 2010 9:39 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have one of the very first NL battery box units in a wolf pack which works fine in D3 connected to aux battery via 16mm cables and Brad Harrison. On long trips (without trailer) the box fits neatly in the space of the centre seat (which I remove) and tie down with cargo rails and straps which I fix to the seat bolts. It is low enough for Waeco fridge to fit on top which is easily accessible by all passengers Thumbs Up

Box is big enough to accommodate Ctek charger, 1000w inverter and all torch, laptop, etc chargers - so end result is really a one-stop power box Thumbs Up
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #60921824th Feb 2010 11:02 am
jtm

The local ECHO dealer still want to pull in a 3mm cable line from the ingnition to the back and provide it with a Brad Harrison to be outside of the Disco electronics and provide a secure connector to the box. I still wonder what the guys have done in the box. Could it be that they step up the Voltage (from 12v to say 16v) to the battery? The inverter could be used for playing DVDs on a PC for the kids and also use it for maps and for moms hair dryer...
The main question is wheter 6 hours dive per day will provide sufficient energy to top up the battery to drive the fridge at low level for the night ? Or if one night charging on 220v at a site will top up the battery to a sufficient level?
JTM

Post #60960124th Feb 2010 8:59 pm
DiscoJacques

JTM

Seeing that there will be som cable pulling, rather go for NL. My box charges from 70% to 100% in +/- 1 hour, I have a intelligent charger, with a load (fridge) charges from 50% (110 aH) to full in a matter of hours (5 max) The charger is rated at 10A/h.

NL is a trusted brand and proven electronics, it comes with a battery monitor, and input charge rate. I doubt that the will increase voltage for the ECHO box. I get +/- 14,8v through the 16mm cable and as much Amps as the alternator have available. I am by no means technical, but it's all about the amount of amps you push though to the box that determines the charging time. If memory serves me correct, ECHO told m the box down scales to less than 5a/h, that means it will take +/- 10 hours to top up 50A on a battery.

Inverters are cheap and the 300w will not drive anything big. It's all up to your choice, but I would rather have the quickest charging rate, which means the NL box with 16mm cable.

Cheers

Jacques
2013 D4 SDV6 SE auto 

Post #60988625th Feb 2010 6:16 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

JTM, if you want to run a notebook PC in your car, why not use a DC-DC converter? You can buy 3.5A output models from places like "Zakspeed" in JHB and CT for about R300. These are very small and quite efficient, and won't overload the ciggy lighter as they only use 100W.

Post #60988925th Feb 2010 7:03 am
jtm

Thanks DiscoJacques and Baben for your good advice. It helps a lot to clear the mind!! I will go for the NL box and a DC-DC converter
JTM

Post #61034525th Feb 2010 10:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >