Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Checking if a new engine has been fitted.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
LRkarlak

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4
Checking if a new engine has been fitted.

Over the next week we are going to view some D4's locally. I have read up and know about the engine issues, but got me wondering. How do you know if the car has already had engine issues and a new one fitted ? I guess there will be an engine number which should match a V5 or such, but I would guess it is not easy to view.

We are probably going to get a newer model with the Euro 6 and therefore Adblue as well. Is there any evidence these "later" engines are any more reliable ?

Last edited by LRkarlak on 1st Jan 2022 1:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22702431st Jan 2022 11:38 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

NO ! just had a new engine in a euro6 at 65k . To be frank it is a lottery they still go in disco5 s but not so common but that may be due to ages. Mines possibly for sale and not far from you, just extended the warranty ,just trying to decide if im ready to risk a 5.

Post #22702581st Jan 2022 1:10 pm
LRkarlak

Cheers for that, does seem to be a lottery.

Drop me a PM if you do decide to sell with details etc.

Post #22702611st Jan 2022 1:23 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Yikes..... I thought the issue was less prevalent in the 3.0l (but not unheard of)?

Post #22702721st Jan 2022 3:32 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

LRkarlak wrote:
Cheers for that, does seem to be a lottery.

Drop me a PM if you do decide to sell with details etc.

It is certainly a lottery ! the main dealer who fitted mine had 5 or 6 sitting waiting for new engines, Not all 3l either to be fair. Obviously the crank is the major issue in the 3l and here we are today with the same block still being fitted. The only common denominator the service manager could suggest is that towing pushes them to far as the same engine lump is fitted in lighter vehicles with very few failures.

If looking to buy pay particular attention to its service history which must be full JLR and check intervals and can be checked online with the VIN number . I say this to be fair to JLR as if it ticks all the boxes they are very good on goodwill on this issue. Mine was replaced at 65k with no cost to me.

A serious word of warning though dont expect any help from warranties as even LRs own approved warranty will not cover a snapped crank as they have long deemed it an inherent design problem that is JLRs problem to deal with.

My recent experience did open my eyes to this issue having dismissed some of the warnings as social media hysteria. Happily thinking that LR approved warranty would give me peace of mind. My dealers really pulled out all the stops to help though as im not sure without them onside things would have been so positive.

Post #22703642nd Jan 2022 8:38 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
A serious word of warning though dont expect any help from warranties as even LRs own approved warranty will not cover a snapped crank as they have long deemed it an inherent design problem that is JLRs problem to deal with

Is that the case? my wife just extended her approved warranty and apparently it states on the policy that the crank shaft is covered?

Post #22703822nd Jan 2022 11:27 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Is that a landrover warranty..would be interested to see copy of that

Post #22704022nd Jan 2022 1:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
popsdosh

Robert SausageTrousers wrote:
Quote:
A serious word of warning though dont expect any help from warranties as even LRs own approved warranty will not cover a snapped crank as they have long deemed it an inherent design problem that is JLRs problem to deal with

Is that the case? my wife just extended her approved warranty and apparently it states on the policy that the crank shaft is covered?

In the documents it lists all engine components as covered ! However believe me from being there and being told its not because of the classifying of the snapping crank as an inherent weakness they wont even cover the diagnostics. The dealers dealing with would not even bother going to car plan( LR approved warranty suppliers) first as they knew what would be said. I cant complain as LR replaced the engine as a goodwill gesture , just trying to warn people of the risk of not having a full main dealer service history if this problem occurs as without it they will just turn their backs on it. I can tell you now until you get the OK from JLR on the goodwill the stress is huge, even though the main dealer said it would be a formality with my cars history.

Post #22705173rd Jan 2022 12:21 am
popsdosh

Just to enlighten here is wording used in policy doc.

Engine
Failure of the following internal mechanical parts only: Starter ring gear, flywheel,
oil pump, crankshaft and bearings, timing gears, Variable Valve Timing control
unit (VVT), timing chain and cam belt, camshafts, cam followers, tappet gear,
valves and guides, pistons and rings, cylinder bores, con rods, cylinder head,
cylinder head gaskets and all internal bushings (excluding lacquered valves or
failures due to carbon deposits).

Get out clause

11. Design Faults and Recalls Any damage to parts, which are being recalled by
the Vehicle’s manufacturer or which have Inherent Design Faults are not
covered by this Warranty.

Inherent Design Fault
Inherent Design Fault means any fault which is ultimately caused by a defect in
design, materials or workmanship which existed, but may not have been
apparent, when the Vehicle was manufactured

Post #22705213rd Jan 2022 12:43 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

phooked again by good old landrover...ought to be taken to court..warranty £1100 a year...

Post #22705233rd Jan 2022 12:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
popsdosh

To be fair thats not LR administering that warranty .
Its car care plan who pretty much supply all manufacturers with there approved used warranties.
I was shocked when I first was made aware .
It has been tested in court and the policy was accepted as being lawful in this case.

Post #22705253rd Jan 2022 1:09 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

I'm quite aware of how stressful it is to have the crank fail having had it happen years ago on my first disco, I had no warranty so basically had to suck it up, i'm now on my 3rd Disco 4 and have been under warranty ever since, my wife now uses the car so dealt with the extended warranty and so she's obviously misunderstood.

I would like to think that having been a LR customer for years, buying directly from them, servicing, MOT'ing and insuring through them I would hope that if the car suffered crank shaft failure again they would look after me, the fact that it's down to their good will is ridiculous.

As said i've been in Disco's for years and the service from LR has consistently got worse, the problem being that there's just nothing on the market that compares to the Disco Sad

Post #22705313rd Jan 2022 8:20 am
LRkarlak

popsdosh wrote:

11. Design Faults and Recalls Any damage to parts, which are being recalled by
the Vehicle’s manufacturer or which have Inherent Design Faults are not
covered by this Warranty.

Inherent Design Fault
Inherent Design Fault means any fault which is ultimately caused by a defect in
design, materials or workmanship which existed, but may not have been
apparent, when the Vehicle was manufactured

It does make you wonder if a good lawyer would be able to argue that they (LR) should not be selling you something with an inherent design fault. Not sure of of the legal wording, but if they sell you a product with a known fault, should they not be making the buyer aware of that at the time of purchase ?

Just playing devils advocate here, but if it is a inherent fault wouldn't "every" engine fail ? I realise this clause is a warranty company t&c's. I guess the problem is it would cost more than a new engine to take them to court.

Post #22705323rd Jan 2022 8:24 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Makes frightening reading, just when I am thinking I’ve got a car for life Big Cry
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #22705353rd Jan 2022 8:55 am
popsdosh

It has been tested in court unsuccessfully on more than one attempt. Sadly the issue could easily be dealt with if JLR and Car care plan came to an agreement over dealing with it as a warranty claim and save a lot of stress. Just out of interest JLR will give the goodwill gesture on the crank even if not on extended warranty as long as all other criteria are met. I do feel that JLR are not open enough about how the approved warranty works as it is pushed to you as being equivalent to their 3 yr new vehicle warranty and no mention of being supplied out of house. I know having been made aware of the crank failure issue I would not have bought the D4 if I had any idea that the warranty was dealt with out of house .Although to be fair I had never had any issues before with extended landrover warranties, as it does all appear seamless from outside.

It will be interesting to see if as they get older this problem gets as bad in D5s as they are lugging around about 12% less weight

Post #22705383rd Jan 2022 9:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >