Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

To Chip or not to chip - EGT information
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
To Chip or not to chip - EGT information

Here is a link which really is set up to sell you EGT measurement however it deals with EGT in some detail and what happens to Turbo Diesel motors if normal parameters are exceeded. As it is pointed out in the article excessive EGT can be quite destructive and it would be nice for any of the people chipping Disco 3's to advise how what they are doing is affecting EGT and whether or not (hopefully not) the figures are starting to get close to the limits.

I have to note that at the moment I am hopeing to get my nice new D3 chipped so at the moment am assuming that this stuff has been well taken care of.

http://www.bankspower.com/Tech_whyegt.cfm

Post #3969328th Jan 2006 8:20 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Interesting reading, I know Dastek always speak of the importance of EGTs, now I know why
 The End  
Post #3969928th Jan 2006 10:37 am
JE Engineering

United Kingdom 

We had thermocouples in the turbos of both our manual and auto test cars from day one, EGT was a major factor in deciding how far we could push the JE tune.

Post #3970528th Jan 2006 11:32 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

We are fully aware of EGT temperature issues given our experience with Heavy Commercial Vehicles and the constant load and 'punishment' they take on a day-to-day basis.

The 'Banks' article was interesting and highlighted in particular the need to keep the air/fuel ration in proportion to avoid excessive increases in the EGT. Here at TC (as I'm sure JE also have done) we balance the increases in fuelling with additional turbo pressure to maintain the EGT within the normal heat range. We also alter 'throttle demand' and engine load demand so that you only get the extra torque when you need it Smile

EGT is certainly one area where the 'plug in' tuning type boxes are lacking. Many of these boxes only increase fuel pressure without any regard to EGT whereas a 're-map' or reprogramming of a vehicles' ecu by an experienced tuner can address this issue with total confidence.
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last! 

Last edited by LRtuning on 29th Jan 2006 8:46 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #3971628th Jan 2006 5:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dazzpowder

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Hi TurboChip

Does your company do an ecu mod?

Post #3975629th Jan 2006 2:29 am
LRtuning

Dazz

Yes, we offer an ecu upgrade via the car's OBD diagnostic socket

PM me your mobile and I'll answer any questions you have Smile
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #3975729th Jan 2006 8:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

turbochip

I have 3 questions

1. you say it cannot be found by LR at all, do you give a written guarantee to that effect.

2. Will my auto gearbox be able to cope with the power hike, and do you offer a guarantee to that effect as well if it can.

3. Does it affect my LR warranty in anway shape or form, and if I was to have a problem can I come back to you if LR refuse to warranty the vehicle.

Sorry about this but I want it done but I really need to be 100% sure first.

Peter

Post #3977029th Jan 2006 12:23 pm
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

scorpio wrote:
turbochip

2. Will my auto gearbox be able to cope with the power hike, and do you offer a guarantee to that effect as well if it can.

Peter

Hi there Peter. I am not TC and haveing started this thread you can be sure that I am interested in general in the replies.

As far as the Auto Box is concerned, I run an older BMW V12 with 450 NM of Torque (65,000 miles since new). That runs a ZF HP24 Box and the reason that BMW could not run those engines and the later ones at higher powers was that they did not have a box that could take the torque - "blew them to bits" - was the description. The ZF24 box by the way was also used in some RRovers and was quite a robust unit. The later 6.0litre V12's are running ZF 6HP26 Box's which according to the early figures were rated for 600 NM so that would not appear to be an issue - no guarantees from me by the way but I will take the chance Very Happy

Post #3977129th Jan 2006 12:47 pm
LRtuning

Peter

I can assure you that LR diagnostics cannot find our Turbochip product. I deal exclusively with the biggest LR dealer in Europe and I can confirm this verbally or by letter if required. I have upgraded in excess of 50 TDV6's (All brand new vehicles) for them and they would be happy to deal with you giving the assurances you may require @ £1250 + vat

Your auto box can cope with the extra torque as it designed to for both the forthcoming TDV6 3.0 and the TDV8 3.6 without specification change. We do not provide any additional warranty on your gearbox as you can still rely on your LR warranty.

We do not offer any additional warranty and we have now modified in excess of 270 TDV6 engines over the last 14 months without any issue whatsoever and there are no incidences of LR 'discovering' the upgrade.

Be wary of any company offering a 'warranty' or 'insurance' to that effect.

I tried to negotiate such a deal with Firebond PLC who provide Superchips with a 'claims handling' service and they confirmed to me that Schips does not have an 'under written' insurance policy as their literature might suggest. It is effect an arbitration service that would try to negotiate with the manufacturer/ customer should a problem arise and ultimately Schips would 'write a cheque' if the manufacturer 'walked away' from the warranty.
It doesnt however mention the timescales involved nor what happends in the meantime whilst schip and the manufacturer 'argue' over who's to blame for any possible failures etc.

" If you have a big nose why underline it with a moustache!" Wink
Post #3977329th Jan 2006 12:54 pm
prawn

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry to go off topic.
Chris did you get my mobile number ?
 Zambezi Silver TDV6 HSE - TC'd
Discovery 300tdi - 119K and still going strong
Radical Clubsport 1100 - for a bit of fun 

Post #3994130th Jan 2006 11:37 am
LRtuning

Sure did Wink
Post #3997130th Jan 2006 12:17 pm
jacob

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

hi toubochip and j.e, do you hv both of u any authorised dealer in greece which can upgrade my D3. ???

Post #3998430th Jan 2006 1:44 pm
LRtuning

Are you near Athens?
Post #3998730th Jan 2006 2:07 pm
jacob

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

yes, very close to old airport(elliniko) abt 10 kms frm center of athens.

Post #3998930th Jan 2006 2:12 pm
LRtuning

When is good for you? Wink
Post #4001330th Jan 2006 4:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >