Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Cleaning a D3 goes on for ever!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
rcastley

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

npinks wrote:
flexi blade Shocked , one piece of grit caught behind it and you'll have a lovely scratched.swirly car

I only use it on the widows or when cleaning the shower

I should have stated that I have OCD when it comes to cleaning cars Smile The blade and shammy ONLY come out when all dirt is removed!

She has had Stage 1 & 2 applied so this does provide some protection!

Post #45247910th Apr 2009 10:28 pm
blue_manc

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I was planning on using washing up liquid, and some Turtle Wax or suchlike every now and then - am I a luddite.

What is the best basic product for someone with too little time and slightly less inclination to do this every week?

Post #45318912th Apr 2009 10:29 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Shocked get the POLISH to do it for you at Tesco's. £6 a throw darn sarth, though I will doing it myself tomorrow

Post #45320512th Apr 2009 10:51 pm
john4090

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Took the risk of allowing the car park washers do mine the other day, came back and found thembeating the wheel arches with a metal rod...it was like defending my child! The torrent of abuse I threw at them. never again will I trust anyone to wipe my baby and change him.....we are still talking about our disco 3's right???
 Once a Disco, always a Disco...and I love my Disco  
Post #45364713th Apr 2009 11:20 pm
goodfella

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

What is the best basic product for someone with too little time and slightly less inclination to do this every week?

Blue Manc - Not really a simple answer to that but take a drive down to Autocraze at Little Hulton (not sure if I can say the name of the shop - sorry if not!) the fellas in there are very helpful and will see you right with a good Meguiars Shampoo and a wax product like NXT which is very user friendly snd quick.

PM me if the details are removed by a mod. Thumbs Up
 Badda bing.......How you doin'?

Java black SE, standard spec. Clean and shiny.

Club TFC - Off Road Essentials
Club Tesco Finest Warranty
Club G4 Stickers even though it's not a G4
Club Rhino Rack 

Post #45370714th Apr 2009 8:10 am
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
How to wash D3 Willy's way.

Removed to Off topic humour
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Last edited by Willy Eckerslike on 14th Apr 2009 9:20 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #45372514th Apr 2009 8:51 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I would say that the best thing to do is polish it once a year and then apply a decent sealant once every 3 months - this will keep it clean and shiny without too much effort.

Get in touch with jkp to see what he can offer you....

TBH I never bother with wax or anything any more - too much hassle and it doesn't give much protection when the D3 is getting covered in crap every weekend - a good coat of sealant that is quick and easy to apply works wonders Thumbs Up

Of course if you're looking for concourse standard cleaning then this is a different matter, but if you're just looking to keep it in good condition and not wanting to spend too much time cleaning, then I think sealant is the way to go for a 'working' 4x4 Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #45372714th Apr 2009 8:53 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Finally got round to using the stuff I bought off jkp in March to clean my car in readiness for it to be used as a wedding carriage in 3 weeks time. I've cleaned the D3 on many occasions before and it does take an age but never has it taken this long and I haven't touched the inside yet Big Cry

Having washed the car, I dried it with the towel from jkp's kit. Always used a shammy up till now but will never use one again. The towel was superb Thumbs Up . I dried 80% of the car before I could wring one drop of water out of the towel, and being so big, drying took next to no time.

Next it was time for the clay bar. Again, never used one before but soon got the hang of it and was amazed by the amount of crud it removed. I had bought a machine polisher so used that to polish the car. Took all the effort out of it and managed to remove most of the bramble rash I had collected during the Kielder outing in March. Had to do some hand polishing as the machine polisher heads were too big for some of the nooks and crannies but the whole process only took about 3 hours.

Finally, applied 2 coats of the supernatural wax from the kit. Result, one very clean and super shiny car, well it was until SWMBO drove it to the Lake District yesterday to collect a daughter and covered it with dead flies Big Cry .

Ah well, mustn't grumble. The hards work is done now so a quick wash and wax will be all that is need just prior to the wedding.

Did I say the hard work is done Question Hang on, I haven't done the inside yet Big Cry Oh Censored
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #45382014th Apr 2009 11:30 am
bythehour

Canada 2008 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

PaulP wrote:
I would say that the best thing to do is polish it once a year and then apply a decent sealant once every 3 months - this will keep it clean and shiny without too much effort.

Get in touch with jkp to see what he can offer you....

TBH I never bother with wax or anything any more - too much hassle and it doesn't give much protection when the D3 is getting covered in crap every weekend - a good coat of sealant that is quick and easy to apply works wonders Thumbs Up

This is good advice, but I do a full clay twice a year (polish once a year). Then I throw on a couple coats of sealant (I use Collinite 476r) and it's good for 3 to 5 months.

Post #45442615th Apr 2009 1:38 am
greenoval

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
registration number

Thanks for your offer. it owes me slightly more. It is all yours for £550 this includes the transfer fee!!!!

Post #45600517th Apr 2009 11:53 pm
greenoval

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
numberplate

Hi again,

Thanks for the e-mail. The plate owes me £475 and I will have to pay £25 to have the V750 transferred into your name,

Unfortunately cant go any less than £500 sorry.

I had bought it in the hope of me getting my new disco this year. my wife had hours cut at work so I get my 07 plate from taggarts at the start of May.

You know where I am if you would like to see it on your new machine (jammy git!!!!)

Regards

Matt

Post #45667919th Apr 2009 11:00 pm
john4090

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just tried Turtle Wax Ice Polish for the first time and will def be using this again. very quick, very easy and very good! No white streaks can do windows and mouldings, wheel arches, a-bar the works does it all.

Def worth a try if you dont have a lot of time to polish after a good days off-roading!
 Once a Disco, always a Disco...and I love my Disco  
Post #4629395th May 2009 4:24 pm
kevi

Wales 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

nor one that makes my tax disc worth more than my neighbours car! Rolling with laughter
 Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

2 Too many seats now
No trouble so far
tow pack, tasmods sills
IT goes without saying that you should never have more children than you have car windows 

Post #4630065th May 2009 7:22 pm
slipware

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I'm only 5'2, so no chance of me cleaning mine! I take him to the local hand-car-wash. run by some very effiecient men. Cost £8, they do a really brilliant job! Worth every penny....
 If you never try, you'll never know...  
Post #46560411th May 2009 1:05 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Albourneboy wrote:
Finally got round to using the stuff I bought off jkp in March to clean my car in readiness for it to be used as a wedding carriage in 3 weeks time. I've cleaned the D3 on many occasions before and it does take an age but never has it taken this long and I haven't touched the inside yet Big Cry

Having washed the car, I dried it with the towel from jkp's kit. Always used a shammy up till now but will never use one again. The towel was superb Thumbs Up . I dried 80% of the car before I could wring one drop of water out of the towel, and being so big, drying took next to no time.

Next it was time for the clay bar. Again, never used one before but soon got the hang of it and was amazed by the amount of crud it removed. I had bought a machine polisher so used that to polish the car. Took all the effort out of it and managed to remove most of the bramble rash I had collected during the Kielder outing in March. Had to do some hand polishing as the machine polisher heads were too big for some of the nooks and crannies but the whole process only took about 3 hours.

Finally, applied 2 coats of the supernatural wax from the kit. Result, one very clean and super shiny car, well it was until SWMBO drove it to the Lake District yesterday to collect a daughter and covered it with dead flies Big Cry .

Ah well, mustn't grumble. The hards work is done now so a quick wash and wax will be all that is need just prior to the wedding.

Did I say the hard work is done Question Hang on, I haven't done the inside yet Big Cry Oh Censored

I went through this recently, even took a toothbrush to every nook & crevice. Took 3 days, got sunburn, a sore back, and ruined my nails. The neighbor said I was going to wash the paint off Laughing It looked sooo beautiful that strangers were even giving complements Razz

Then a couple days later we went camping, it rained Rolling Eyes , and now it looks like I never touched it. Well, except for a new modification from backing up the trailer Big Cry

I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #46562211th May 2009 1:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >