Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Climate change - another bashing on the way.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Tell me about it! As a geologist I could write an 8000 word essay on natural climate change over the last 4.5Ga (billion years) without even trying! Needless to say very little of it is man made! Climates change naturally, always have, always will. One decent volcano put out mega tonnes of CO2 & SO2 along with loads of other gases & particulates. Climates change naturally & "global warming" is just an excuse to tax! It is a form or brain washing & control by politicos & greenies who do not understand climatic systems, just how to make the population think "Oh my god, we are all gonna die!!!" then tax them to death.

If you want more, I could rant on for ages but enough to say when you hear a TV report saying "more proof of global warming" there has not been any original proof and a computer simulation is not proof. Climates change, get used to it!

Post #9747729th Oct 2006 8:48 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

DSL we actually agree about something. Very Happy Very Happy Now what colour do I get my SC in? Laughing
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #9747829th Oct 2006 8:50 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Bonatti (or is that Stornaway). Pls get me one while you are at it and pls leave your Black Amex card in the glove box for fuel!

Post #9748129th Oct 2006 8:54 pm
DiscoStu

England 

DSL wrote:
Climates change, get used to it!

At last, a voice of reason!
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #9748229th Oct 2006 8:56 pm
Pelyma

England 

I'd save your money with the wind turbine. My son's school has a 10m one, it cost about £30K. Last year it saved us about £350 in electricity after trading the credits and power sold back to the grid. The trouble is from the talk I went to, if the electricity isn't at 240 volts it is lost, so most the day it is whirling around for nothing. You could link it to batteries if you had appliances that used it, but most do not.

Its only real value to my mind is an educational tool for the children, the technology isn't yet good enough for non geared turbines. As for those little B&Q jobs, I'd save my money thanks.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #9748329th Oct 2006 8:57 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Needless to say very little of it is man made! Climates change naturally, always have, always will.

I agree. We live 1,000ft up in the pennines, but a few 100 thousand years ago around here it was covered in an ice sheet was and a few millennia before that it was a tropical rainforest around here and a few squillion years before that it was at the bottom of a big ocean. Mind you, I think the issue is that those changes occured a lot slower than the current warming effect (although no one can be totally sure). Humans (well politicians anyway - and that isn't necessarily the same thing) hate change. They want to look at the same view, have the same number of neighbours, grow the same plants and get the same amount warm and cold on the same days of the year as they always did. The idea that someone might dig a hole, build a house or turn the thermostat up such that it is different from yesterday - puts everyone into a mass panic these days. I say embrace change, and make it work for you rather than being sh*t scared of it. Is it really so hard to get used to warmer / longer summers and a bit more rain in the winter Wink
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #9748729th Oct 2006 9:03 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

I always thouht the one David Cameron is installing at his home was simply for show! Now the one at the BP petrol Garage in Wandsworth is a beast - That's what I would want!
Post #9748929th Oct 2006 9:05 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Climates can (or have geologically) changed in very short time frame. I am used to talking in million or billions of years all the time but evidence is that we can flip into the start of a glaciation stage (iceage) in a matter of a few years. The last glacial maximum ended 12k years ago, we are 2degC colder now than the last interglacial as we cooled down further a few thousand years after that (Younger Drias cooling event if we are going to be boring). Going into glaciation again is a real risk and needless to say it will be blamed on man when it has nothing to do with them!

Post #9749129th Oct 2006 9:12 pm
Kevin

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Tell me about it! As a geologist I could write an 8000 word essay on natural climate change over the last 4.5Ga (billion years) without even trying! Needless to say very little of it is man made! Climates change naturally, always have, always will. One decent volcano put out mega tonnes of CO2 & SO2 along with loads of other gases & particulates. Climates change naturally & "global warming" is just an excuse to tax! It is a form or brain washing & control by politicos & greenies who do not understand climatic systems, just how to make the population think "Oh my god, we are all gonna die!!!" then tax them to death.

Thanks DSL

I have always thought that "Global Warming" is just another excuse for increasing taxes. In my opinion man has very little effect on these natural cycles. I just wonder if the likes of Greenpeace etc are actualy paid by the goverment to scare monger.
 Kevin

BAS TUNE

Faultmate MSV-2 MULTI VEHICLE 

Post #9749229th Oct 2006 9:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoStu

England 

Ford at Dagenham have two wind turbines. There were originally meant to be three, but 'allegedly' the payback cost is so poor the third one got scrapped. (I say allegedly because this is just what I heard - Ford never tell us anything Rolling Eyes )

The turbines should have provided power for the assembly hall where they assemble the TDV6 - another reason (as if you needed one) to drive a D3!
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #9749329th Oct 2006 9:20 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

airplane 2 wrote:
First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benz's.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #9749529th Oct 2006 9:27 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

So we can blame Mercedes and not Land Rover!
Post #9749729th Oct 2006 9:30 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Pelyma wrote:
(snip).8X..My son's school has a 10m one, it cost about £30K. Last year it saved us about £350 in electricity after trading the credits and power sold back to the grid. The trouble is from the talk I went to, if the electricity isn't at 240 volts it is lost, so most the day it is whirling around for nothing. .8X (snip)..

Pelyma,
If you've got any information you can share on that, can you pm it to me? The local school down the road are threatening to put up some turbines, and it would be useful to have some useful precedent to add to the debate with the Governors there. Thanks,
lex
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #9750229th Oct 2006 9:49 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Very Annoyed wrote:
So we can blame Mercedes and not Land Rover!

Personally I blame the dinosaurs. They are mostly extinct so can not argue back!

Post #9750329th Oct 2006 9:50 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

DSL wrote:

Personally I blame the dinosaurs. They are mostly extinct so can not argue back!

Or in Morocco!
Post #9751329th Oct 2006 10:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >