Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Climate change - another bashing on the way.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Shocked VA you calling our teams in Morocco dinosaurs Question
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #9751829th Oct 2006 11:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

DSL wrote:
Going into glaciation again is a real risk and needless to say it will be blamed on man when it has nothing to do with them!

Look on the bright side guys........

When we peak at global warmng, and then head off into the next glaciation, we will all be encouraged to drive gas guzzling 4x4s in order to increase greenhouse gases to prevent an ice age Laughing

Road tax for gas guzzlers will be abolished and owning a Prius will be a sin 8)

Post #9752830th Oct 2006 12:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

JMC wrote:
owning a Prius will be a sin 8)

I thought it already was? If you're from Hollywood you could drive (or be driven in) your Pratus (oops mean Prius) to your private airport & then take your exec jet around the world promoing your next movie. Now that's definately the best of both worlds PR wise.

Unfortunately my sister traded her XC90 for a Pratus and it was at my folks home when I dropped in last Friday. Was soooooooo tempted to drive into it but restrained myself!

Very Annoyed wrote:
DSL wrote:

Personally I blame the dinosaurs. They are mostly extinct so can not argue back!

Or in Morocco!

At least our dinosaurs are down there! Wink

Post #9755230th Oct 2006 10:07 am
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
For VA

one of the things I was trying to point out was that WE are being taxed many times for being polluters - yet this government & many before it are maintaining/upgrading/ and possibly buying a replacement for the nuclear deterrent system we have (Trident) . A WMD Probably capable of destroying much of life as we know it on earth, certainly frying & polluting the earth for centuries.

Is there not an apparent contradiction there between taxing us to be green, then using some of that money to potentially produce a nuclear holocaust & destroying the planet???
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #9756630th Oct 2006 11:39 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Randalls, remember the 1st rule of Government:

Do as I say, not as I do!

Post #9758030th Oct 2006 12:33 pm
al cope

England 

Just watched some of this on the BBC one o'clock news. Their reporter was trundling along some motorway or other, in what looked like a Citroen Piccasso, and you saw his avg mpg - 26. Well if thats waht we are supposed to be driving as smaller cars, we (well TDV6) are safe then!

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #9761130th Oct 2006 3:34 pm
SN

Its all a little irrelevant what we get up to on our little island - we make up just 1% of the earths population and whilst I'm sure we generate more than 1% of the pollution it pales into insignificance when compared to the likes of the USA, China, Russia (and probably India now) Evil or Very Mad
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #9763330th Oct 2006 5:37 pm
JMC

Scotland 

qzdcg8 wrote:
Its all a little irrelevant what we get up to on our little island

Agreed, but unfortunately not the case Confused

As emissions are in vogue, what we get up to on our little island will not be irrelevant in terms of tax no matter what the rest of the world does or what the alternative view says. This is a perfect opportunity for a tax-take in the name of the greater good and anybody who complains looks like a selfish anti-green who would club seals on a week-end for fun. Evil or Very Mad

The most interesting aspect of all this climate change, is that nature will find it's own way of balancing things in an attempt to create an equilibrium. As greenhouse gases create global warming, mother earth will simply switch-off the gulf stream - an effect of increasing amounts of fresh water from melting ice-caps in the North Atlantic. Net result, the UK will freeze and we will ALL be needing 4x4s just to get about.

It's a bit like the Daisy-World scenario........ Your turn DSL Wink

Post #9763930th Oct 2006 6:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It makes me sooooo angry Banging Head Why won't they realise that its all just a free ride for governments to raise taxes.

Of course all political parties will support the bill, they all want to be able to raise tax off the back of it.

This has to be the biggest misconception of the basic facts since the world was believed to be flat Twisted Evil

Post #9764030th Oct 2006 6:18 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Gareth wrote:
This has to be the biggest misconception of the basic facts since the world was believed to be flat

The world isn't flat Shocked Since when? Wink

Post #9764130th Oct 2006 6:20 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

JMC wrote:
It's a bit like the Daisy-World scenario........ Your turn DSL Wink

I managed to skip that part in out palaeontology practicals! When they said daisey I thought "daisey cutter". One of those would be useful around now!

JMC wrote:
Gareth wrote:
This has to be the biggest misconception of the basic facts since the world was believed to be flat

The world isn't flat Shocked Since when? Wink

Maybe that's why I found structural geology difficult, it's so much easier in a flat world, this almost spherical planet (oblate sheroid!) is hard work!

Last edited by DSL on 30th Oct 2006 6:46 pm. Edited 7 times in total 
Post #9764430th Oct 2006 6:26 pm
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The greenest car (& indeed the most environmentally friendly house) is one that has already been made/built.

What about us poor s*ds who have bought a nearly new Disco 3 eh? Greener than ANY new car.

Post #9764730th Oct 2006 6:37 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Advantages of Global Warming:

Our climate will be better in summer. If Thames Water did not loose so much through leakes, those softies in the SE can use a hose again. We won't need to go to Spain or S France.

If the Gulf stream does switch off, we can go skiing locally rather than flying to France, Italy etc. other countries manage without a gulfstream.

We can grow exotic fruit & veg in the uK without having to import it. Mind you that is nothing new since the Romans were growing vines in England donkey's years ago.

Higher CO2 means better plant growth, hence we can feed more people from growing more crops. feeding people is nothing to do with growing food, more like politics & wars killing people through lack of food in Africa.

All in all this might not be a bad thing. Heard an interview where the Russians say it might be good, Siberia might be a degree or two warmer. Like that is going to make a difference??

Also all this about we are going to be flooded by sea level rise? Only if ice on land melts, the N Pole & Ross Ice Shelf are all on water so the melt water just displaces the volume of ice. Stuff on land is Km thick & not going to be affected by small temp rise. SL has been a lot higher than now, good job we are in a period of glaciations otherwise our D3s would bneed very long snorkels!

Enough of this, off to make like an iceberg & float in the tub!

Post #9764830th Oct 2006 6:38 pm
nobbyclark

Quote:
I can't even be bothered to make the argument anymore

Sounds like you've given up. So what will you buy with the vastly reduced amount of money you receive for your traded-in D3? Probably a large estate. It will occupy a similar amount of road. It will have a similar engine capacity and fuel type. It may even have four-wheel-drive. And it sure as sh!t will produce as much CO2.

Don't give in to this crap. None of you. This is a subversive agenda put out by a load of communist do-gooders who want us all to go back to the dark ages.

They don't want us to drive to see our relations at the other end of the country. They don't want us to support employment in the UK. They don't want us to go on holiday unless it's ecologically sustainable and we get there by yak.

And what exactly will taxing us off the road or out of the skies do to the climate? Eff all. We will still drive cars and we will still fly to go on holiday. The government will just be better off, so that it can pour loads more money into public services that will consume as much money as they can eat but without ever delivering a satisfactory result.

When I see that effwit Bliar without 2 Range Rovers full of MI6 security or that beancounter Brown attending conferences via video/audio, then, just maybe, I will change my lifestyle.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #9764930th Oct 2006 6:46 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

When they ban the Olympic Torch as I'll take thm seriously. You would be lampooned if you left the gas ring on deliberately to watch the pretty flames. As I said above, it's "do as I say, not as I do" mentality.

Post #9765030th Oct 2006 6:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >