DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Climate control stepper motors?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MonLand

2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 7 Seat Auto Unknown ColourLR3
Climate control stepper motors?

So…..
I had an issue with my climate control and thought this was going to be a fairly easy fix.
What I did not realize is that it is possible (very likely) that the stepper motors are different -and- on the left side (driver side for me as a US vehicle), I might even have used the wrong connector to the stepper motor.
So, I’d like to find where I can read about how to fix my mess.
I know that out of the 4 steppers, 3 do quarter turn (did not check which direction), one has a tiny throw.

Anyone has any experience with this area? Any document/manual I should read?

I need to get this fixed ASAP as apparently my defrost system was not working good enough to pass safety inspection.

Post #22716088th Jan 2022 5:21 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Can “we” assume the engine reaches regular operating temperature, you have sufficient coolant and no airlocks in the system? E.g. the temperature gauge on the instrument panel reaches midline in 5-10 minutes from cranking and/or you have verified temperature with a reader via the OBD port?

Are the coolant lines going to the engine firewall warm/hot? The upper one is toward the heater core and the lower is the return line. If they’re cold or lukewarm you have a problem with circulation (or too little fluid or an airlock).

It would be very rare to have 3-4 stepper motors fail at the same time or in succession. Not to doubt you but how did you come to that conclusion? Have you observed that the ports do not move? Have you tried the self-test and re-calibration (econ and recirc pressed at ignition, etc.)?

The most common problem is that the heater core is gunked and there is too little flow through it to get left hand (so on LHD driver’s side) hot air. Do you have this or is it cold air on both left and right in the cabin?

Since most vehicles on this forum are RHD it might better if you asked on the American forum at landroverforums.com… I lurk there for some of my LHD V8 specific questions Whistle

Post #22716328th Jan 2022 7:15 pm
MonLand

Oh, I know the mess up is on my side! Smile
I took every stepper out and replaced them with (known good?) used ones. But I did it carelessly and did not pay enough attention.
The dash trims are mostly out (I think I posted pictures in a separate thread).
My original issue was not that I did not have heat, it was that I had too much heat (right/passenger side) when I was supposed to have cold air.
Right now, I need to “reset” and make sure my steppers are the correct type/ones installed in the correct location and plugged to the correct harness plug.
Once I reset, I’ll pass safety inspection (and then, will be able to resume troubleshooting of the original issue).
Based on what I have seen so far, the climate control setup is the same on RHD and LHD Disco 3s when it comes to the steppers. Maybe I misread/misunderstood this? (Blower is likely reversed of course in front of passenger feet/right side).

Yes, I did the recalibration (multiple times actually) after switching out the steppers.

Post #22716518th Jan 2022 9:52 pm
MonLand

Going back to the steppers:
- 3 are supposed to be connected to the flaps
* 2 passenger side (right side)
* 1 driver side (upper one from memory)
- 1 is connected to a rod and has a shorter throw
* driver side (left side for me)
* which plug? I think there is a black and a blue plug. I’d assume blue because that would leave 3 black plugs connected to the same type of stepper
- of the three steppers that make roughly quarter turns, are they all turning in the same direction

I got my Disco 3 back, so I will do some experimentation tomorrow but I’m really hoping to jumpstart this using this crowd’s knowledge.

Post #22716538th Jan 2022 9:58 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I’m probably not the best person to help you but… do look through the workshop manual at least sections 412-00, 412-01, 412-02A. You can get more modern versions by paying from JLR TOPIx but, really, they won’t be so good that it would be worth it on the older vehicles. Although, they do have for the 4.4 liter V8 the correct picture on how coolant flows while these “borrowed” versions have it wrong.

You’ll find it, without ads, at https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AMrv...9C85C7C171

I think the pictures tend to be LHD, not RHD, in it.

Regrettably the old pages don’t have the correct part numbers listed.

Some of the documents are same as here https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=30300

Also you want to read this thread with some thought and filter out the stuff you don’t need https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/a...ues-79707/, note discussion on the part numbers

Post #22716558th Jan 2022 10:34 pm
MonLand

Closing on my issue.
I confirm that the stepper motors all have the same manufacturer part number on them but are coded (as in "software code/configuration") to be in a specific location/listen to specific commands on the bus (this is why Land Rover has a different part number for each when you buy them new). -if- you undo the stepper motors, write on them where they are supposed to go so that you don't struggle like I did.

If you mess up, here is what you can do to identify each motor:
- Put all the motors somewhere on the climate control system (i.e. screw them in one of the 4 locations)
- start the car (do the stepper calibration if you want to or let them initialize themselves)
- once all the motors are where they are supposed to be and initialized, remove them (but don't unplug them
- use the climate control buttons to have warm vs cold air and see which motor moves (that's the motor that is supposed to move the blending flap)
- use the climate control to direct air to the windshield, same thing, see which motor moves
- etc.

There are only 4 stepper motors, I'm confident you'll get it! I got it and I'm not that smart! Smile

Post #232449728th Jan 2023 7:05 pm
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3
Left Air blender

Hi everyone, long time I don’t post (or read) anything here. In fact I haven’t done much in my Disco for a few years.

I recently realised my left air blender has a issue (LHD - Driver side)

It might not necessarily be an issue, since no error is coded. When reading the live data, the left air blender has no “Max Cold” or “Max Hot” position. It only varies from “Intermediate position” to “invalid”. As below (from full turn left —- to full turn right):
Original range: “Max Cold”—-“Intermediate Position” —- “Max hot”
Current range: “Invalid” —-“Intermediate Position” —-“Intermediate Position”

It is clear that the stepper motor is moving as I can clearly hear it moving when turning the knob.
Is there a way to test the current values from the position sensor?

I also performed the RECIRC & ECON test … no error showed (even with the blender in the “invalid” position)

I saw it is a pain to remove the stepper, is there an easy way to test the sensor? Perhaps an easy to reach connector?

Other than the obvious poor mixing when in “invalid” position, what other issues this may cause? I noticed that the AC compressor is running (drawing current) all the time even when both temperatures are set to hot. Is that normal? What does trigger the AC compressor to turn on? (FYI clicking ECON, it turns off normally)

Thanks all and it is good to be back.

Post #233607110th May 2023 9:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >