DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Compatibility of aftermarket LCD unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
David Lunney

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Compatibility of aftermarket LCD unit

Hello,

I bought an aftermarket LCD touch screen unit on the internet from China to replace the basic monochrome LCD unit which comes as standard in the SE model in Australia. It is a good unit and includes GPS navigation, DVD, TV, BT phone, BT music and some other features. I have had some issues and some of the controls do not work properly. The manufacturer and the local installer think that it is either a faulty unit or that there are compatibility issues between D4s sold in China and D4s sold in Australia. The compatibility issues are thought to arise from a "can bus" module. Does anyone know whether there would be a difference in this module between a Chinese D4 and an Australian D4? The manufacturer, who has been very helpful to date with after sale support, says he has sold 200 of these units to the Chinese market and has never had an issue. Many thanks.

Post #9639889th Aug 2012 4:16 am
Robocop

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

David,

There has been very detailed discussion on this unit on the Australian aulro site.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/140849-d4-no-nav-nav.html

Personally, I have taken mine out. The can-bus did no more than what the monochrome screen did, time/date & volume worked fine. I took a dislike to the operation of the unit & sound quality. Id like to try & modify this slightly so I can still use the reverse camera. For now it's a $1400 waste of money.

Rob

Post #9863957th Oct 2012 3:36 am
David Lunney

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks Rob,

The discussion on the Aulro site is helpful.

Is the brand of the unit you bought "Hepa"? The supplier has asked me to uninstall the unit and to send it back to them (at my cost) to be tested/repaired. There are a number of features of the unit I am happy with so if I can get it to work I am prepared to incur the time and cost to resolve the issues. The issues I have are (i) the sound control board - which includes the on/off button does not work, (ii) the time does not sync between the unit and the dash board - near the speedo (the unit time will not change once set), (iii) the sound quality is terrible - particularly through BT phone with an iPhone 4 and(iv) there is a long delay (10 sec +) from starting the engine until the reverse camera will work.

The supplier has been helpful to date and has tried to resolve the issues. I have been provided with updated software on a number of occasions. The new software has been of only limited benefit. This may be due to a particular fault with my unit or an inherent fault in all units.
If I can resolve the sound control board issues I may be able to live with the other problems. The sound quality is better (although still poor) with a Samsung Galaxy III. I am also going to try to pair my phone to the original (and now redundant) Landrover bluetooth. Does anyone know what pin code needs to be entered? I can't see the pin code any longer as this would have shown on the monochrome screen. The handbook says the pin code will vary depending upon the phone brand/type. If anyone is able to tell me the pin code to pair an iPhone 4 or a Samsung Galaxy III I can try the old LR bluetooth system.

If there is another better unit that anyone has installed I may need to start again and put this unit down to a $1350 (plus posing and install) waste of money.

David

Post #9867658th Oct 2012 12:22 am
Robocop

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi David,

Yes I think that is the brand. I was very unimpressed with the sound quality. If the on dash features were something fantastic then maybe I'd keep it in. There is absolutely nothing this unit can do that my iPhone 4S can't do.

What I'm looking at doing is seeing if it has the ability to be operated as a stand alone unit (screen only) for the look of the display & the reverse camera function.

I'm also playing around with some Ford accessories just to see what works & fits. What I've learnt of the low-line system using the monochrome screen is; it's actually a Ford unit (FOMOCO). It does integrate with the vehicles can-bus system. Depending on what part if the world they're from the audio unit is either out of a Ford Fiesta or Focus, the low spec models. The screen is stand alone, the volume connects via can-bus, the cd unit is a CD player & radio only, no amp.. I'm not sure about Bluetooth.. The amp for the door speakers is under the drivers seat.

Just today I received in the post a connects2 adaptor box. What I'm experimenting with is if this works with the disco, the plugs are the same. If this works it will enable the connection of an aftermarket stereo. Personally I'm looking at the Parrot double din due to its reduced depth. Other than that there are other 'mech-less' units available.

Rob

Post #98857012th Oct 2012 6:09 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My standard fitted chinese satnav.tv. Unit is not connected to canbus and is seperate. Even to the point where you cant acces satnav from the screen menu ony from the rewired hard button. Also if you go into secret menu satnav.tv and reverse camera are all shown as not fitted.
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #98857212th Oct 2012 6:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >