Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Australia & New Zealand

Compressor Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Compressor Replacement

Note hat this has also been posted on the AULRO so I am trying to extend the coverage.

Following on from the following fault:-

disco3 C1A20-64 (6C) Pressure increases too slow when filling reservoir - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure

it looks like the compressor is on the way out as the reservoir looks ok with no apparent leak, although the compressor pressure is still ok and not likely to fail in the very near future.

It is my third compressor and I suspect that I have had it for around 10 years. I will check but believe it is an Hitachi and either way I am looking to replace it with a second hand AMK. I have been alerted to the need to get a kit that goes with the AMK.

Can anyone recommend a reliable source of second hand AMKs, eg from a wrecker? I am based in Goulburn. I note that one supplier of AMKs says that their warranty is not valid unless you replace all your air bags and struts!? I would also appreciate input on the benefits of a new unit vs a second hand one given the vehicle is a 2005 model.

The EAS has been pretty much ok with the exception of a faulty valve that was replaced some five years ago, but could have introduced sand into the system.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #202031119th Jan 2019 9:04 pm
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just buy a new one from the UK, it is half the price than buying local

I reckon it is Hitachi compressor if its 10 years old, if you buy an AMK you need an IID tool to upload new software.

I found that the main airline that leads from the compressor to the main storage tank, rubs on the park break cable over time and cause a small leak, and the compressor runs 24/7 and burns itself out trying to maintain air pressure.

Post #202127022nd Jan 2019 10:09 pm
rsp

EAS Compressor

Thanks Tripe. The mechanic who does most of the work on the car recommended a new unit.

I am sorry to say that I have yet to check out the compressor, so do not know for sure whether it is an Hitachi. At some 10.8lbs, compressor only, the cost of freight sounds like it could be expensive, then there is probably gst as well now. I can only offer various priority tasks at home as my excuse.

Fortunately I have an IIDTool BT and actually uploaded a compressor software upgrade a couple of years ago, but do not recall whether it was Hitachi specific.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #202173624th Jan 2019 6:32 am
IndusD4

Australia 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Try TR spares in Sydney, or Triumph Rover spares in Adelaide.

Ron
 2016 D4 TDV6 Corris Grey
IIDTool BT 

Post #202197824th Jan 2019 7:16 pm
rsp

Replacements EAS Compressor

Thanks IndusD4, I have an initial look at both sites and will get the mechanic to check them out.
Post #202234925th Jan 2019 7:13 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi rsp,
This mob have quite a fair few D3 and D4 wrecking. You might have luck with a low km one from them.

https://www.allfourx4.com.au/epages/shop.s..._Discovery

Good luck!
Cheers,
Rob

Post #202772112th Feb 2019 9:01 am
rsp

Rob, thanks for that information. It certain,y looks like they do quite a few Landrovers, so they could be useful next time around.

I am booked in this Wednesday for a new compressor, a Dunlop, as the technician who has been looking after the car for some years, thought a second hand was too much of a risk. Let's hope the Dunlop works Oh, I forgot to say that I am also getting a new wheel bearing and replacing the second EGR solenoid. After that it will be onto the next thing!
Post #202775612th Feb 2019 10:26 am
rsp

Compressor Replacement

Just replaced the Hitachi compressor with the Dunlop and a day later got a C1A27-14 (6C) fault.

The IIDTool shows the gallery pressure rising to over 1700 psi and the temperature 90+before I switched off the engine
Post #202842214th Feb 2019 12:30 pm
garrycol

Australia 

The Dunlop compressor does not have a good reputation for reliability from new.

Post #202866815th Feb 2019 12:11 am
rsp

Hi, thanks for that information, which I will pass onto the technician. Reliability is an obvious concern and I did ask the technician about it. I will now check it out on the internet, something I should have done in the first instance.
Post #202866915th Feb 2019 12:15 am
garrycol

Australia 

I also need to replace my compressor and cannot make up my mind. Here is a thread of mine over on the RRS forum - some positive and negative comments. http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic53127.html

I have rebuilt my Hitachi but it did not work - before I buy a new compressor I will replace the desiccant chamber cap and exhaust valve, and cook the new desiccant to make sure it is free from water. If that does not work then a new compressor will have ot be bought.

Dunlop is definitely off the list. Genuine AMK is around $1500 for the kit so a bit expensive. People say the chinese copies are not good but that is based on chinese quality stereotype - the chinese copy of the Hitachi for $398 is almost cheap enough to give it a go. I can get the AMK knock off kit for $600 delivered from the UK but they do not have a good reputation but for the price you get all the bits you need for the AMK and genuine AMK compressors without the kit are a reasonable price.

Genuine Hitachi compressors are still available from the UK for less than $1000.

Who is doing your work??

Garry

Post #202867515th Feb 2019 3:19 am
rsp

Compressor update:-

1. Compressor now working ok after suspension leveled, although still more to be done to get it spot on

2. The D3 service technician advised that they have fitted a number of Dunlop compressors without any problems in respect of reliability.

Whilst it is obvious, I had not thought that changing compressors would required the suspension to be re-leveled. The inconsistencies in the levels was causing the compressor to overwork.

Along the way I upgraded the firmware in the suspension ECU to the latest version for the Hitachi version, using the IIDTool.

Reading other posts it looks like the prior Hitachi compressor had done very well to have lasted well over the five years some have quoted as being the expected life.
Post #202883715th Feb 2019 6:05 pm
garrycol

Australia 

You dont have to relevel (I assume recalbrate) the suspension for a compressor change. If this was needed then it was a pre existing condition and may have been the reason your compressor failed in the first place.

My Hitachi compressor is 12 years old and has only just started throwing up fault codes - still pumps up enough to raise and lower the car but when at onroad height and driving has trouble maintaining the little bit of extra pressure needed to cover level adjustments as you drive.

Who you using for your work - sounds as if they know what they are doing.

Post #202893416th Feb 2019 12:47 am
rsp

Apologies for the delay in responding but things have moved on since the last post. The original fault reoccurred the morning after the car came back, although I was told that there was still a way to go to get the calibration spot on and not to change the height.

The reoccurrence of the fault suggested that calibration was not the issue, or not the only cause of the fault. In my wisdom I decided to check out the current calibration using the IIDTool. One of the first steps is to raise the car to off-road height and that cleared the fault. This suggested a leak or similar. I then continued gathering the various calibration figures and did the relevant calculation to recalibrate, but then thought that the directed calibration might be the way to go, especially as the current calibration was somewhat astray from the specs. Unfortunately starting with the Front Left, the following hard error resulted:- "C1A00-54 (AF) Control module - System programming failure - missing calibration". This meant that the directed calibration could not be completed.

I have to say that the size of the graphic on the iPhone made it very hard to see whether you were hitting the right button or not. Also the recommended measured height of the centre of the wheel displayed in the touch l was for a RR and not the D3. A bit confusing!

The service place say that the ecu seems to be stuffed, although I did successfully return the height to standard using the IIDTool height control option. When the hard fault occurred, the console display said the car was at off-road height but the 4x4 display in the dash said standard. Using the tool aligned the two to standard.

The fault could not be cleared and no other calibration commands, whether using the switch or tool, seemed to work.

The compressor is definitely still working.
Post #203030219th Feb 2019 11:17 pm
rsp

The saga continues! A second hand is ecu was fitted and I ran a guided calibration was carried-out using my IIDTool to get rid of the red fault light and enable the ecu.This comprised just pressing the continue button for each wheel, rather than doing any measurements and adjustments as I was running late.

My wife took the car home and when I started to check out the Eas I saw that the compressor was still getting very hot and another red fault light came on during an attempt to diagnose the problem. To cut a long story short, it looks like Nomal Height is the Off-Road Height and Access Height is Normal Height.i am not going to divulge how long it took me to establish that fact!!!

The IIDTool does not allow you to change the standard Height and as the compressor is still overheating, there is no point mucking around with Heights using the tool.

I have a suspicion that when the replacement ecu was fitted at the service place, that the vehicle was at the Off-Road height and I wonder if the ecu took that as standard height, as a result of the guided calibration?

Maybe putting the original ecu back in starting and stopping the car and then putting back the replacement ecu, with the car at Normal Height and doing the directed calibration again, might fix the fault?

I do not think the saved values in the IIDTool are any use as they were in a mess before the replacement and I think they were overwritten when the guided calibration was done in the replacement ecu.
Post #20348688th Mar 2019 6:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >