Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Confirmation as to who the new Disco is aimed at?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Confirmation as to who the new Disco is aimed at?

More indication in todays Telegraph as to exactly where LR are going with their new models... sort of reflects the response the new disco has been getting on here:

Telegraph wrote:
So you’ve got your work cut out if you’re Amy Frascella, Land Rover’s Chief Designer, Colour and Materials. Amy is an American who, having graduated in textile engineering in the States, has worked with various Japanese car brands and Hyundai before landing at Land Rover in 2012. And she's joined a brand in flux, one that is moving from boxy, utilitarian Defenders and Discoverys to ultra-stylish Range Rovers and curvaceous Evoques.

More women, and more urban customers, are flocking to the brand, but still Land Rover must preserve its exemplary rugged, off-road appeal for the countryside dwellers.
How do you convey all this in blue paint and interior plastics, I ask Amy. 
“Land Rover has to create differentiation between our products, but not in isolation,” she says. Hence there are signature colours for each model, both inside the car and for the bodywork paint, that reflect their positioning: “sensual, rich, deep” colours for the Range Rover, and “colours that feel more natural” for the Discovery, for example.

“We’re working in conjunction with the 3D teams [the people that design the car shapes]. We need to work harmoniously with them. So we consider how things are moving with other products – furniture, architecture, fashion, performance sportswear, aerospace - but we need things that have staying power – that communicate the character of the brand.”
How, though, do colours reflect the movement upstream by Land Rover into a determinedly more luxury marketplace?
“Rather than creating lots of colours, the colours are becoming more nuanced, tinted,” says Frascella.
“Tinted neutrals, tinted metals, liquid metals,” are apparently the way to reflect luxury right now, especially for a brand that has to paint very big cars and needs a colour that won’t look too garish on big slabs of metal. Land Rover is also doing clever things to create depth in its paint, something that appeals to those looking to spend a serious amount of money on a car.
“We have new paint technology called glass flake pigment. The pigment floats in a resin; it’s thicker, made of glass and looks like some flakes are coming towards you while others are going further away,” says Frascella.

Luxury is also, of course, denoted by materials, and as well as the usual woods and leathers, Land Rover is exploring “luxury sustainability” (as are all premium brands – witness Bentley’s work with stone, protein leathers, glass and wood). While Frascella won’t discuss some new materials that sound like they’ll be unveiled in March at the Geneva show, she does tell me they’re also looking at materials and colours that reflect, or promote, wellbeing in their cars.

It’s all part of the whole: car companies are looking less at building cars and more at creating an experience on the move that satisfies time-starved, stressed individuals. Still, some things are sacrosanct, there to preserve the heart of Land Rover as we know and love the brand. And so, while some colours are created with just a 24-month time frame in mind, in order to help launch a car, others are untouchable, especially the “core neutrals”:
“We may not replace a silver for 15 years,” says Frascella.  Another clever use of colour is in hiding the mud from wellies, dogs and kids: “On the new Discovery, we have colour banding,” she says. “Where you enter, we have darker colours in plastic mouldings, which grade to lighter colours as you move up inside the vehicle. Our job is a blending of art and science.”
Not so girly after all, then.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #175146120th Dec 2016 11:22 am
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

“We may not replace a silver for 15 years,” says Frascella. Another clever use of colour is in hiding the mud from wellies, dogs and kids: “On the new Discovery, we have colour banding,” she says. “Where you enter, we have darker colours in plastic mouldings, which grade to lighter colours as you move up inside the vehicle. Our job is a blending of art and science.”

Clever use of colour seesm to involve upping the basic price of paint from £600 to £800 and charging £1600 for the paint with bits in it. Very Happy As for the plastic mouldings & etc, I reckon that many have of us have worked that out years ago by having dark trim and black leather seats. Very Happy That article resonates with me as being connected to the "Kings New Clothes". Laughing
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #175146620th Dec 2016 11:31 am
fisherman

Wales 

They take what is essentially a pretty easy job of choosing colours and make it sound really complex and only someone with a degree should attempt it.
Censored off!
Idiot.
I'm getting another D4 and won't be choosing the chintz that is the 5
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #175147220th Dec 2016 11:41 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
It’s all part of the whole: car companies are looking less at building cars and more at creating an experience on the move that satisfies time-starved, stressed individuals

Thats the D5... we're not building cars any more! Rolling with laughter

She probably works well with the idiot that doesn't want anyone to use a roof rack?
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #175147720th Dec 2016 11:47 am
jimbg

United Kingdom 

I wonder if they appreciate how ridiculous they sound?

They should keep the arty design types away from the press, I have never met one in any industry who does not appear to come from a different planet!! Rolling with laughter

Post #175148220th Dec 2016 11:54 am
fisherman

Wales 

It's about making Censored sound clever. Some of us see through it. I remember a manager in my old job who tricked his way up to board level just quoting Censored from positive thinking books he got from the U S and A. He was a total prack but could spell better than me!
Just shows why they went under to me.
Ooooh I seem to be having an angry day. Twisted Evil
Rolling with laughter
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #175148920th Dec 2016 11:59 am
artschool

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

i think you guys are being too harsh. when i am time-starved & stressed i always love looking at my d4.

if i stare long enough at the corris grey i swear i can see flakes of mud that are coming towards me while others are going further away Laughing

Post #175149120th Dec 2016 12:01 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If they are time starved and stressed how will they be when the crankshaft goes bang? Whistle Whistle I wonder if the peeps that are going to be new to LR know what they are letting themselves in for. Laughing Laughing

Post #175149320th Dec 2016 12:05 pm
Madrilleno

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have to work with people like her most days. Banging Head
 There are two rules for success,
1. Never tell everything you know.

RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Guard
Narpy Style RRS Grille from Beanie
Discostick 3rd button FBH controller
IID BT
EGRs Blanked
Geoff Gearbox Flush
Prospeed sliders & compressor guard 

Post #175149620th Dec 2016 12:12 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

You lot need to get with the hipster program, you are all so yesterday

The fluency of the design related to the quality of the design materials creates an environment that fulfils the inner desire for harmony - don't you get that?

Some one needs to tell the silly cow we have had it for years on D3's and 4's - its called permagrin Mr. Green

Post #175149920th Dec 2016 12:17 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #175150420th Dec 2016 12:34 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

adam wrote:
its called permagrin Mr. Green

Don't tell her that, she'll want to charge you for that! Whistle

Last edited by DSL on 20th Dec 2016 1:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #175150620th Dec 2016 12:35 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Confirmation

A powerful word.

The Telegraph, a Tory rag owned by an Aussie
 Peter  
Post #175150920th Dec 2016 12:46 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I still prefer the paint finish on a Series Land Rover where the paint has moved away and the aluminium is coming towards one.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #175151320th Dec 2016 12:56 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I apologise for recent comments

Just cannot stop myself biting.

Is it possible the moderators make it so I can read this (D5 part of D4 forum) but stop me commentating please ?
 Peter  
Post #175151720th Dec 2016 1:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >