DISCO4.COM > General

Considering a new discovery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Kellogs wrote:
Keep posting, as all your views and opinions are really very helpful.

Are you sure? Shocked

Wait till you see some of the stuff on here........

Post #260582nd Nov 2005 7:52 pm
BN

England 

Kellogs wrote:
Just joined as I saw this post...not an owner yet but facing the same dilemna regarding reliability....good to hear 06 models seem much better.
Drive an Audi Allroad at the moment but want to change car early part of next year so likely to place an order soon!!

Keep posting, as all your views and opinions are really very helpful.

Hi kellogs and welcome. Posting is what we do best. We don't hold back either and the guys here will tell you the truth about the car. No need to add more now as it has all been said in this thread for now.

Post #260592nd Nov 2005 7:52 pm
Monkeyhanger

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Sturge,
As far as comfort goes did about 1500 miles around Scotland in two days, weekend before last and was very surprised to find that with over twelve hours motoring each day ( shared the driving) there was no discomfort at the end of the journey. The TDV6 S I had previously did make me want to stop a bit more than the SE V8 I now have but the new leather and electric seats really make a big difference.
The car is so quiet with the cruise control on at 70 on the motorways the stereo is fantastic. The hard part is putting it in the garage cause I want to drive it everywhere. The Motorbike is getting jealous.
Leo

Post #260602nd Nov 2005 7:54 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for all the replies.... I know what the bike must feel like as I have a TVR Chimaera in the garage and a 205gti on the drive as toys (but the 205 will go I think as not enough room really).

I'm hoping caffyns will come back and offer me the car for the weekend as I have requested then I can properly try it out.

Harwoods weren't that helpful when I went in there a month or so ago and asked if I could have an extended test, they said they were tired of them being driven to scotland for the weekend and off roaded. Never even crossed my mind that might happen Very Happy

Interested in XC90 / D3 comparisons - I know they are different animals off road but the primary thing is on road and towing with the temptation of a new family pastime looming as an off roader.

I'll keep you posted (i think truth be told , decision is made).

Can you clear something else up - on the HSE do the headphone sockets work independent to the main audio from the front speakers - i.e. can the kids listen to cd while I have the ipod in through the aux socket or the radio on, and do they get control of what I listen to (and how loud!)? Or can I turn off the controls so I don't get driven nuts by them? The salesman seemed not to know the car that well.

Thanks

Paul

Post #260632nd Nov 2005 8:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kaney

put that question in another index and you'll be flooded with replies

Post #260652nd Nov 2005 8:44 pm
Pelyma

England 

Sturge wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.... I know what the bike must feel like as I have a TVR Chimaera in the garage and a 205gti on the drive as toys (but the 205 will go I think as not enough room really).

I'm hoping caffyns will come back and offer me the car for the weekend as I have requested then I can properly try it out.

Harwoods weren't that helpful when I went in there a month or so ago and asked if I could have an extended test, they said they were tired of them being driven to scotland for the weekend and off roaded. Never even crossed my mind that might happen Very Happy

Interested in XC90 / D3 comparisons - I know they are different animals off road but the primary thing is on road and towing with the temptation of a new family pastime looming as an off roader.

I'll keep you posted (i think truth be told , decision is made).

Can you clear something else up - on the HSE do the headphone sockets work independent to the main audio from the front speakers - i.e. can the kids listen to cd while I have the ipod in through the aux socket or the radio on, and do they get control of what I listen to (and how loud!)? Or can I turn off the controls so I don't get driven nuts by them? The salesman seemed not to know the car that well.

Thanks

Paul

Yes you can listen to the radio whilst the kids listen to a CD. Give David Marsh a try and say Paul Griffiths recommended him I'm sure he will accomodate.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #260692nd Nov 2005 9:07 pm
transman

I couldnt resist posting a reply to this.

I use a V70 D5 for work and it has done 27k miles in 8 months and the whole life average is 51mpg. Tis a cracking car but changing to a Passat 2.0 d estate at Xmas,as I work on 12months Contract Hire.

This D3 is our 7th Disco since our 1st K plate, and it is by far the best ever. Like you we tow a caravan, which is a Vanmaster @ 1700kg. Not Light, and for this reason, 6th gear is sometimes too high, despite efforts to maximise mpg. We went to the South of France for September, 3700 miles, avge mpg towing was 22, and average solo was 32.5.

Although I`m not an offroader, I consider the vehicle to be the total mutts nuts for towing the van. The D3 has massive presence, (maybe not as much as the RRS) but compared to the V70, the D3 is quieter, visibility is much better, and her indoors feels safer.

Since new in May this year the D3 has done 9k miles, and apart from a broken locking wheel nut, the vehicle has never been back to the dealer for anything. In France I felt confident with the vehicle as it didnt feel it was going to go faulty, not like some discos I`ve had. Long may the no problems continue, along with the hope that LR build quality continues to get better.

I note the horror stories of reliability in these pages, and maybe I`m lucky, but having compared the D3 to the XC90, I`d go for the Disco anytime.

I hope the above helps with your decision.

Post #263234th Nov 2005 5:46 pm
Sturge

Thanks - that helps.

Just finished a day having borrowed one from the dealer. Sods law, I was landed with loads of problems at a client (not with the D3) so only managed to drive 50 miles in it, and that was dual carraigeway from lewes to littlehampton and back. Not exactly demanding... but it was very good.

The phone worked great on bluetooth with my nokia 6230i - better than I expected as caller display showed the phone number on the radio and I could dial numbers with the radio keypad.

Couldn't make the rear headphone sockets work.

The rear aircon did good job of making back warm but leaving me cool at the front (a continual battle witht he children being cold on a long evening journey)

Dealer offered me a good deal of 7k for the Volvo (2001 Y Plate T5 82,000 miles) and offered me a pre reg 2006 TDV6 HSE for 37,995 but could do the whole deal for cost to change of £29,995. Only thing is the car needs to be registered to them for three months before it can change to me - but I will be the only true user / owner.

Could do with another weekend drive really without my clients nabbing me to truly try it on a variety of roads.

I think my mind is made up - just need to find £30k.

Thanks

Paul

Post #263514th Nov 2005 9:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sturge wrote:

I think my mind is made up - just need to find £30k.

Thanks

Paul
well you must have put it down somewhere Rolling Eyes

had mine for 6 weeks now, no problems and a awesome drive, whether 6 miles or 600 Wink you won't regret it! Thumbs Up still got the Very Happy as well!!

Post #263544th Nov 2005 9:47 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like an excellent deal.
I got a top deal on my S auto a couple of weeks ago but I have been asked by the dealer not to divulge it as it was basicly a big mistake that has ended up costing them thousands. Deal on 10 cars with LR went sour.

Post #263554th Nov 2005 9:52 pm
Sturge

By the way transman, what model do you have - is it auto or manual. Encouraged by the mpg figures... I think I will get the auto as it seems so easy having had manuals for years.

Post #263574th Nov 2005 9:57 pm
kaney

use this as an excuse to try another one out

Post #263584th Nov 2005 10:01 pm
Kellogs

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Sturge...looks like you have made up your mind. I went to see my local dealer late yesterday afternoon and I think I'm now ready to place an order. Just need to decide on colour and spec. Good luck with yours!!

Post #263965th Nov 2005 11:06 am
transman

Hi Sturge,

Ours is the manual "S" version, I doubt you`d get those figures with a automatic. I`ve always thought you rev hard and get nowhere with the autobox. I just like to feel in control of mpg, with direct drive between engine and wheels ! Tow mostly with cruise on, but above the truckers " limiter speed " of 56mph.

Anything else, give me a shout

Post #264085th Nov 2005 6:05 pm
Sturge

great.

Found that the Caffyn's Lewis guy was clueless about the difference between a 05 reg (secondhand in my book) and a pre reg. The 37995 was for a secondhand 05. Hmm - as he said he got confused over the prices. Does not instill confidence in the salesman. I've never heard such a woolly set of numbers quoted for buying a car - lots of around this... about that... and vagouries about how old a car would be etc.

Where is the number for Harwoods... that salesman gets a call on Monday!!

Paul

Post #264135th Nov 2005 9:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >