DISCO4.COM > General

Considering a new discovery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Considering a new discovery

Hi - another lurker joining the fold.

I'm considering the pro's and con's of buying a new disco. I think it looks great and enjoy the drive of it.

I'm a bit worried though by the negative reports on the reliability of the electronics and suspension. I'm hoping that the majority of you are ok and not having problems, particularly on the 2006 model year cars. I'm assuming you only hear about the problems!

I'm thinking of buying new (probably a tdv6 hse because I like my toys!) on the basis that the reliability will be better than one of the earlier ones that seem to be about £8k less than a new one.

Also interested in any opinions of anyone who has good knowledge of Volvo XC90 and if the disco is hugely better. I currently have a 2001 V70 T5 which I have found utterly reliable and has such comfy seats for a 300 mile drive. Worried if the Disco has the same comfort levels.

Also I tow a caravan and would be interested in your opinions on that one (including mpg as i get about 17 from the V70 towing and 21 normally). My main interest in the car is for this sort of use although larking about off road would be a bit of fun on the side.

So really - three questions:

1. is it reliable?
2. is it comfy and better than a XC90
3. what's it like for a caravan?

Sorry for the long ramble, but you seem a friendly bunch so thought I'd ask. Just trying at the moment to organise a weekend drive through caffyns at Lewes.

Thanks

Paul

Post #259962nd Nov 2005 6:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kaney

Yes to all and it was voted best car by a caravan mag, B.N.will give you all the details. what car put it 1st to volvos 2nd & bmw 3rd & mpg=25-30 roughly I got 25 when i towed my defender on a trailer for aroud 70 miles motorway & a roads combined Smile

Post #259992nd Nov 2005 6:18 pm
BN

England 
Re: Considering a new discovery

Sturge wrote:
Hi - another lurker joining the fold.

I'm considering the pro's and con's of buying a new disco. I think it looks great and enjoy the drive of it.

I'm a bit worried though by the negative reports on the reliability of the electronics and suspension. I'm hoping that the majority of you are ok and not having problems, particularly on the 2006 model year cars. I'm assuming you only hear about the problems!

I'm thinking of buying new (probably a tdv6 hse because I like my toys!) on the basis that the reliability will be better than one of the earlier ones that seem to be about £8k less than a new one.

Also interested in any opinions of anyone who has good knowledge of Volvo XC90 and if the disco is hugely better. I currently have a 2001 V70 T5 which I have found utterly reliable and has such comfy seats for a 300 mile drive. Worried if the Disco has the same comfort levels.

Also I tow a caravan and would be interested in your opinions on that one (including mpg as i get about 17 from the V70 towing and 21 normally). My main interest in the car is for this sort of use although larking about off road would be a bit of fun on the side.

So really - three questions:

1. is it reliable?
2. is it comfy and better than a XC90
3. what's it like for a caravan?

Sorry for the long ramble, but you seem a friendly bunch so thought I'd ask. Just trying at the moment to organise a weekend drive through caffyns at Lewes.

Thanks

Paul

Paul, there is no camparison with any other car to the D3. Volvo does not even come up to its sills. The D3 can do more than you can imagine and in quiet class.

D3 is in a class of its own and cannot be compared with any other car on the road other than maybe a RRS and RR.

2006 models appear to be reliable and so far trouble free. I have had a few problems, but could not change it for any other car.

I didbn't see a Volvo, BMW or Merc ML in the Welsh mountains with us over the weekend.

Last edited by BN on 2nd Nov 2005 6:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #260002nd Nov 2005 6:18 pm
kaney

I new you'd be there B.N. Laughing

Post #260012nd Nov 2005 6:19 pm
BN

England 

kaney wrote:
I new you'd be there B.N. Laughing

Yes, but you also know just how good the D3 is now don't you. Just remember the look on your lads face as dad took him around the mountains in style. He was full of the adventures over breakfast as well. Tell you what the kids sum it up don't they, blooming brilliant.

Post #260032nd Nov 2005 6:21 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi
Had a XC90 for 3 days on test drive.
Was 'nice' and very well made but I doubt you will notice much difference to your V70.
All I can say is My Disco 3 just makes me smile whenever I drive it.
I think you will agree it is something else when you get a decent test drive.

Post #260042nd Nov 2005 6:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kaney

see if you can get an extended test drive,(they can only say no) try it off rd whilst you have it there's no other for me Thumbs Up

Post #260062nd Nov 2005 6:27 pm
Sturge

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

That's the sort of answer I wanted to hear. The XC90 just feels to similar (and boring) to the V70 - not enough buttons to press...

Sounds like you off road with kids - how old? I'm thinking my two boys might enjoy it one day but they are only 4 and 2 at the moment but are little car nuts.

I think i will be doomed into spending lots when I've driven one for more than 10 miles.

Another question - what is the response like from rest on the auto - Is it 'nimble' (ok I kow 2.5 tonnes isn't nimble) as I've heard the XC90 is a slug from junctions etc. I've been spoilt by having a T5 manual volvo for 4.5 years and 80,000 miles, but I find my wife's newish grand scenic 1.9 dci 120 is more than good enough for us. I'm hoping the disoc will preserve my driving licence and stop me speeding too badly (100+) as well!

Keep the positive comments coming....

Post #260072nd Nov 2005 6:27 pm
aitchy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

have to say that the 06 spec has been faultless so far (fingers crossed). ordered the Volvo last year and never completed on the deal as Disco3 came in to my sites which is 10 times more desirable and also the quietest car i have ever driven Smile
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue and still smiling  
Post #260092nd Nov 2005 6:30 pm
BN

England 

Sturge wrote:
That's the sort of answer I wanted to hear. The XC90 just feels to similar (and boring) to the V70 - not enough buttons to press...

Sounds like you off road with kids - how old? I'm thinking my two boys might enjoy it one day but they are only 4 and 2 at the moment but are little car nuts.

I think i will be doomed into spending lots when I've driven one for more than 10 miles.

Another question - what is the response like from rest on the auto - Is it 'nimble' (ok I kow 2.5 tonnes isn't nimble) as I've heard the XC90 is a slug from junctions etc. I've been spoilt by having a T5 manual volvo for 4.5 years and 80,000 miles, but I find my wife's newish grand scenic 1.9 dci 120 is more than good enough for us. I'm hoping the disoc will preserve my driving licence and stop me speeding too badly (100+) as well!

Keep the positive comments coming....

The D3 is not the fastest of the line because it is a dual purpose vehicle, with high and low range gear box. However cruising it will hold its own with most. Towing superb. Off roading outstanding. We humilliated some serious off roaders at the weekend.

One said to me, "How the hell did you get up here" another said, "Bit posh to do this in isn't it" and one other said, "You lucky sod" and he was right.

Kids go off roading with us of course, without them it would not be the same ask Dom he has a car full. Ask TFC he has the family, ask them all, when they stop smiling from the weekend.

Post #260112nd Nov 2005 6:35 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

For the weight I find the Disco very good.
The XC90 was OK, I had a 05 model which if you pulled away fast spun the front wheels as it started in 2WD like the CRV.
The 06 XC90 has changed to starting in 4WD then changing to 2 when it has traction.
I read quite a few reviews saying the XC90 is murder on front tyres maybe the 06 model will help this.
BTW the sat nav in the XC90 was terrible.

Post #260122nd Nov 2005 6:36 pm
kaney

Kids 7 & 3 the eldest coped well with the weekend were both knackered now it's hitting home after the Welsh trip, The wife and the youngest defenatly one dayers the youngest can't see out the car to well but loves to watch dvd when it's not bumpy enough, and the car stays stright enough to prevent sickys on bends etc

Post #260132nd Nov 2005 6:37 pm
BN

England 

OK sturge, does that start to answer the questions. When you get your car, contact me and we will show you how to drive it off road on one of our fun days. Oh and of course bring the family too.

Post #260142nd Nov 2005 6:40 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The Volvo XC90 is What Car of the year !!!!

LAST YEAR.

Discovery 3 What Car of the year THIS YEAR...

Volvo advertises the XC90 as the car for all your lives - or something like that... but why buy a car when you can buy a real 4 x 4 that WILL allow you to live all your lifestyles ?

As an aside it think its a very handsome car... but compared to the design of the D3 it looks weak and will probably fall apart over really rough ground.

7 Real & truly flexible seats, Low Range, Full Time 4 x4, Terrain Response, Ride Height adjustment, Cracking Stereo, Better Road Holding etc etc etc...

You won't be disappointed at all... and mine has been fine since a glitch in early Jan which just required an ECU connector to be re-plugged (was loose I guess). So even early build cars like mine are reliable and of course immensely enjoyable to drive.

Downsides...

Takes ages to wash (big inside and out)
You want to drive the damn thing all the time and be far more adventurous than you've ever dared be...

Will stop now, but you get the picture.

Test drive it for a day, use the 3rd row seating, the stereo, mixed roads inc lanes and motorway... And then tell us your not impressed - I dare you Wink

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum Smile

-s

Post #260162nd Nov 2005 6:43 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

We could all head down to Lewes, drink copious pints of Harveys and churn up the South Downs way......

Post #260172nd Nov 2005 6:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >