Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Consumer Rights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
scimmiamagia

Consumer Rights

Hello

What are our rights when buying a used car?

I seem to recall a 14 day period where if the car is not fit for purpose you can request a full refund but on what grounds?

I know LR offer a 30 day exchange policy but that would not entail a refund just a replacement car.

Not sure if it’s serious or not or just my bad luck but 7 days in and I now have ‘restricted performance’ and that’s not a euphemism!

The RP light came in this morning and yesterday I did notice strange ‘tugs’ as though the brake was still on. This morning though the engine seems to run on after turning off the ignition.

Post #202772512th Feb 2019 10:09 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives you 30 days to reject a product if it is not of satisfactory quality/not fit for purpose/not as described. This is completely independent to the Land Rover Approved Used 30 day exchange process (where they will try to flog you another, more expensive, car).

Lots of information here:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/re...rights-act

Also, if the vehicle is on finance, the finance company should be able to reject on your behalf (but be prepared for a fight as Land Rover Finance are generally reticent to adopt this position - threaten financial ombudsman if you run into trouble and be prepared to go through with it).

Lots of information over on the Discovery Sport forum about vehicle rejections Laughing Whistle

In my opinion, you should call LRA out and get them to assess the vehicle. If they say it needs to go to the dealer then you will be entitled to a replacement vehicle. Also, by getting LRA to look at it, they will be able to read the fault codes and it will be recorded against your car. They will likely want to recover it to the dealer. If you don't go through LRA, you will not be entitled to a replacement car.

If you feel the vehicle was sold to you with a serious fault, then you should have it inspected independently by DEKRA. Their report will assist any future rejection if you keep hold of it for now.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #202772912th Feb 2019 10:18 am
scimmiamagia

Thanks. The act does not necessarily mean because I have a bad feeling about the car now that the RP light Is on I can get a refund or does it? Does the fact that this issue has arisen mean I can send the car back and reject it? Perhaps Citizen Advice are the best to advise?

Post #202773312th Feb 2019 10:28 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Can you clarify what you mean by RP light? Either way, it sounds like your car has a fault and you should still call LRA out to take a look at it.

Engine running on after turning off the ignition is not normal.
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #202773412th Feb 2019 10:30 am
scimmiamagia

RP ‘restricted performance’

I always remember my old Mini doing this due to a sticky carburettor.

The LR has just had a service too!

Post #202773712th Feb 2019 10:35 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Then you definitely need to get LRA out to it.

Post #202774012th Feb 2019 10:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >