Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Corrosion Prevention Guide.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
MrBrain

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I'd like a VERY complete job done on mine. Ideally dismantled as required and then treated - no excuses, no compromise.

Post #20076129th Dec 2018 11:43 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Depends how far you want to go, and how deep your pockets are...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #200765610th Dec 2018 6:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrBrain

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

All the way, and not very...

I have to spend what I have to spend though

Post #200767710th Dec 2018 9:17 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thats my original chassis, been away to be blasted bare, and galvanised

Before it gets rebuilt, the underside is getting a damn good rubbing down, some fancy primer, and a good treatment to stop any rust coming back

Its costing me £350 in materials alone for the body, and the chassis was around £2,000 to be cleaned and galved...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #200778110th Dec 2018 3:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mikeyb

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Very informative write up thanks.

Has anyone had any experience with Bilt Hamber Atom Mac?
 Not such a Disco Newbie now!
IID BT 

Post #200779910th Dec 2018 5:19 pm
Zagato
Site Sponsor 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
You can't do a D3/4 properly for £450...

You can, however, make it look pretty Thumbs Up

Most undersealing treatment in the South ranges between £400 - £900 depending on the extent of the work. I can afford to run at the lower end of the scale as I do not have the overheads being in a fortunate position to have a good sized set up at home. I am not into chasing money and getting cars in and out as quickly as possible, I am my 50's and now prefer to take things at a steady pace. I keep to one to two cars a week or less so the work remains enjoyeable, I am semi retired if you like as I am slowly rebuilding my own project and enjoy biking with my mates (don,t tell the wife!) and enjoy my work and life Very Happy No Mickey £450 won,t get you stone blasted/dipped/galvanised chassis etc as you say but it is effective and goes a long way to make it more than pretty Confused

For instance with a Defender for £490 treating the chassis properly is a given, i.e. Not just a quick wash and splurge with some thick bitchumen. Just cleaning the vehicle can take half a day, then dry, cure rust, treat etc etc in every nook and cranny, close up, not standing back with a wand! Engine bay brackets, to radiator surround, headlight rims, to sealing windows, to rivets, to wiper spindles, door bottoms, A Posts etc, axles, inside side steps, wing mirror arms, footwell fasteners and those down the inside of the A as well as other fastenrs that rust in the interior, the list goes on... Takes about 9 hours on average, depending on prep time. The likes of Bowler to my local Landy independent garages say it is the most comprehensive treatment process short of stripping the vehicle down. I,m not boasting just pointing out I am proud of my work, enjoy it, and very much like helping folks with the vehicles. I will do a photographic guide to treating a Discovery, similar to the Defender one so that it helps people who want to have a go and anyone can add to it with advice of course.

The below pic was one I treated where the client stripped the vehicle down himself to save my labour. I am always happy to offer this option if owners can do it themsleves. It,s nice to be involved in the work of your own vehicle. Really nice couple, he and his wife go on major offroad expeditions abroad, you will probably know the car from this forum. I did his wife's Defender as well...

Post #200782210th Dec 2018 6:17 pm
kayble

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

just thought I'd chip in.

there's not much I can do about the state of my frame - it's well seasoned. I have scrubbed areas inside the spare wheel well and then coated with POR-15, but I feel the body needs to come off to do a proper job.

The body however - I have been proactive, and make a regular point of dropping my plastic sill covers and inspecting.

This was my state of affairs in May '17:
kayble wrote:
I'll be the first to volunteer:

looking down the nearside sill:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The above was after a quick wire brush to remove loose paint and surface rust. All entirely solid, but surface corrosion appearing where paint has given way and metal has been submerged in years of horse poo and mud.

I didn't get a before picture of the OS sill but it was very similar - bubbling paint and surface corrosion on areas where paintwork had been removed through chafing between the sill and the trim - slightly worse toward the rear of the sill where it had been caked in crud. Here's some after shots - after wirebrush, 3x coats of java black from a rattle can and 2x coats of hammerite stone chip shield:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

To be honest I was chuffed with mine - an early '05 car and all solid - requiring only a scrub/paint/seal.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Fast forward to Dec '18 - I need to take some pictures, but I only saw some minor bubbling re-emerge on both sides of the car at the rear, so this time I wirebrushed it all back to bare metal in affected areas, used Kurust, zincprimer, then java black. I've then gone through each of the rubber grommet/covers and given the sill a treatment with Bilt Hamber Dynax (https://www.bilthamber.com/dynax-s50).

I've also taken the rear arch liners off to scrub surface bubbling that's appearing in some areas - same method of treatment as above, with particular attention paid to the inner arch all the way around - with Dynax put in wherever I can get in with the long wand applicator.

Hopefully that will see me out until my cambelt tensior shears off/I spin a bearing shell/my crank snaps/my clutch dies/my COP breaks...

Post #200840912th Dec 2018 2:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >